DE is a complete joke regarding teamgames

The moment I don’t alt-f4, the game starts with someone disconnected and I’m hurting myself.

If I don’t want to play 2 hrs on Black Forest and avoid playing on a water-major map, there’s no way I can do that in RM-Team games. The map ban should be increased to 2 or 3.
And the language issue is genuine. Some players don’t understand english, play without building a market and have no clue what’s going on to the other players in the team.

Its not. When you play games where you absolutely get crushed because your ally couldn’t read your chat or gets disconnected, that’s more damaging to the game and ruins the experience. How will you feel if you’re forced to play only DM or only EW or say only Battle Royale, even though you dont want to play them. Or if you’re sometimes unable to click and pick your favorite civilizations.
Alt-f4ing for not getting pocket/flank or if someone in your party chose a civ that you feel is bad or for team mate ratings -Those are inappropriate and game-damaging.

Yeah people not playing the game would be a dream but it is pretty unlikely. Maybe even ask some streamers. if they know it is good for the game they are maybe willing to do it…i mean even 1hour a week could help a lot and i think you can judge most of the things pretty well…at least going afk for no reason or just leaving.

Maybe i have a different opinion but the gap between doing a ranked and a tournament shouldn’t be higher than playing casual or ranked. The point of playing ranked is that you face opponents who are around the same level and have a good game. If you play with somebody far from your level this is simply impossible.

THen make the lobby system better and play this with your friends.

Tournaments tend to have real stakes… like cash prizes, recognition etc. Ranked is just a way to help to keep track of skill level of players via their ELOs. Having more ELO just means harder opponents, but that’s it, no rewards, no stakes… Big difference in my opinion.

1 Like

Well, this is pretty bad. I am pretty interested in this topic…do you know more about this?

How these games even lag? sometimes i read that people lag even tho they have a good internet/pc…is that true?

yes and they have servers. but overall i think it’s the old engine.
mb they could do throttling for laggers, but the result could be unexpected.

Anyway, i could be wrong. but dont expect more. If there are chances for alt+f4 solution, i dont believe they could fix lag.

In my opinion rankeds have the same except cash prizes. A good game should always have 2 options to play: 1. casual 2. ranked

In casual everyone can play vs everyone…in ranked player at the same level should play against each other…otherwise ranked is useless and you dont need a real matchmaking

Just my opinion. I feel like in every other game it is the same but aoe seems to be a bit special.

TG gets balanced out. If you dont all have same ELO the game finds you opponent with similar average, So that already currently works.

Well and that is exactly the problem. It balances out only to a certain limit.

If the gap is too high, taking the average is bad, because the better player can crush the whole enemy team alone.

I mean you saw how they calculated the old teamelo system…and you see that the chance of winning with a 2k and a 1k player vs 2x 1.5k player is not 50%

I get what you mean. I think it might affect me little less because a few beers certainly helps to reduce my elo to be balance :smiley:

i wont be able to find the article ( i read it in my language), it’s interesting worth to google.
old game had smth like: host wait for all packets/commands from other players, verify consistency, report to clients.
So if some player have bad ping/potato PC → all players have to wait for his computer.

With DE servers were added, so at least it became faster…and not idea what was changed.

PS right now memb steaming on voobly. u can see 1 sec delay between command and action))

I feel like this problem and server stability became much worse over time. Maybe i’m mistaken but i don’t have the feeling that the games were lagging so many times and people dropped out of games at the early stages of DE.

“I’m hurting myself.” Exactly my point. It is a completely selfish and self-centered consideration which does not take into account the experiences of anyone beyond the self. You should consider your other arguments; none of them, not a single one, considers the perspectives of other people. They are absolutely self-centered, and frankly, in a multiplayer game (per definition a non-individual experience), such arguments are never going to carry much weight.
Do note that I am not even disagreeing with you, by the way, on the point that there shouldn’t be more map bans. I would be perfectly fine with sacrificing a bit of queue speed to have 2 bans, so I can ban Arena and Islands. The difference between us is that, in the meantime, I’m not making the game worse for everyone else but me by alt-f4ing.

And I’m sorry, if you feel that playing with randoms isn’t providing you with the experience you want, then find a team or get some friends and play ranked games together. Alt-f4ing is not the solution, it’s only making things worse for everyone.

Nor is it comparable to the other ‘issues’ you mentioned. Not speaking English is not something people ‘choose’ to do, nor is ‘not performing well’ (the vast majority want to do their best, even if it sometimes doesn’t always work out). Not all people like to pick civs ‘you feel are good’ (which is just your opinion, too). But you know what is a real choice (and a bad one)? To press alt+f4 and sentence everyone else to a bad time simply because you felt like you were being wronged by not getting that perfectly-tailored experience you demand in which you can play all the maps you want and only those maps, with only team members who live up to your standards.

If that is not being selfish and self-centered, I don’t know what is. I’m sorry I’m being so frank about this, but all the oblivious self-justifications for alt-f4 hit a nerve.

Tell me your age and your rank if you don’t mind, cause there is no way a good player and an adult would think in that way.

You need to acknowledge the match making settings doesn’t really meet the criteria of finding fair games, cause by design, its code was done in order to find game in 7+ mins despite elo ranges, then you need to understand that the more competitive the players the less awful maps and encounters they want to play, the devs have been too stubborn adding maps that have an insane ban rate every single map pool, when you truly understand those issues you will find it as an awful game experience, unfair teams+undesired maps, also the system gives premades the full control of the maps, there is not a single positive thing in the current match making for team games.

People tried it and after a year they were tired enough of the same bad experience, see the other topic, it was created in august 2020, but similar topics were active even from before, nothing has been done to improve the quality of the games, so this isn’t about being selfish, it is just about having a good experience for all, alt f4 was the only choice the devs left cause they have refused to do something, alt f4 is annoying as hell, but its the only way to actually force the devs to do something, you can’t justify their laziness for more than a year.

The future of the game itself lies in their answer to this issue, a punitive system could be their biggest mistake, the game survived 20 years on the multiplayer using lobby system, while its outdated it is functional, the game was never remastered cause of the guys asking for more civs, campaigns or SP content, the game got remasters cause of the MP, being the TG the bigger and most active population among different platforms.

2 Likes

You don’t need my age and ‘rank’. Neither should determine whether an argument can be taken seriously.

I repeat again, I understand there are frustrations with the way matchmaking and multiplayer is handled at the moment. I also feel these frustrations. But I will never be convinced that selfish behavior such as alt-f4ing is the ‘only choice’ left to us. If it truly is about “having a good experience for all,” then how can you possibly justify doing something that is going to harm and frustrate at least one person, up to 7 others (depending on the size of the teams) by completely denying them their experience? Who are you to decide for all others that a certain map should not be played because YOU did not want to play it? Perhaps there were 7 others who were put in that particular match, who did want to play the map you unilaterally decided is not worth playing? Is your choice of pressing alf-f4 really making it “a good experience for all”? I think not.

It is selfish. Period. If all your arguments rely on self-centered points of how you personally are affected by the issues with multiplayer, then I’m afraid there is not a single argument you can make that could shield you from being called selfish. Because the truth of the matter is that alt-f4ing is always selfish, no matter your justification.

These 3 points sum up pretty much all the things that annoy me in multiplayer. And all of them are fixable.

Dude, say I’m running a company and gave you an offer. But there’s a 60% chance that I won’t pay you, will you be working for me because you would consider my perspective and that of my paid employees. Its a game and its played to have fun. I don’t alt-f4 when I’m playing with my friends and like about 90% of the time I find a game. Whenever a new patch is released I don’t play for a few days as I know there’s a good chance my fun would be ruined by game crashing. In the same way I know auto-matched teammates from some countries are most likely going to ruin the game by getting disconnected. This isn’t something that happens all the time but when it does I know its no longer going to be fun. I don’t want to continue playing 4v3, 3v2 or 2v1, ruin my fun and then open a forum asking the devs to fix this.

Well dude what can I say, you’re a man of people - the hero that we need not the one we deserve. I just find some hours late in the night and want to play two or three games before I go to sleep. And I don’t want that to be a game where one of my teammate is disconnected or its Black forest.

Dude, I know they didn’t “choose” not to speak English or not perform well but how will you communicate during the game. “Pick out the mangonel, get the monks, pick relics for extra attack on your knights, fall back, make siege, wait for my army”…how will you convey these to a teammate who can’t understand that or how will they be able to communicate that to you…

For every map rotation I’m comfortable playing 6 or 7 of the 9 maps. So I’m not expecting a perfectly tailored experience. Some maps are such that its going to take a ridiculous amount of time regardless of how you want to play.

Obviously I didn’t buy the game so that a bunch of strangers will have fun at the expense of my frustrations. IMO its better to alt-f4 than play with disconnectors. You play 20-25 mins seriously and then boom your ally is disconnected. All that time, any advantage you have or any strategy you planned, everything is gone. And tbh, how is that a good time even for the opposition.

and you dont ser personal bias against maps as a problem and dodge them as to just play them as all maps should

well yea but you seem to be too self centered to acknowglege that its a common thing not only in aoe2 and there is no real solution to it

Sorry but i don’t really get what the point is you are trying to make.

Yes, alt+f4 isn’t cool. Yes, these people are maybe self centered…but are you really telling me that you prioritize the fun of others above your own? You would play a game several hours a day which you enjoy 0% for the sake of others? Putting your own interests above other interests is a normal thing. You are not getting paid for playing this game…it is only the fun…and if there is no fun there is no point playing this game no matter how others enjoy it PERIOD.

I’m not a fan of alt+f4 but it’s not like the people intentionally try to destroy the fun for others…it is just that these people keep their own interests above the others, which is naturally. The other option is that these people leave the game for good because i don’t know in which dream world you are living but nobody is permanently doing sth. in his free time if he is 0% enjoying it. You can expect them to play 1 game which they don’t like…but not 99%.

Also it is not that easy to say alt+f4 always hurts the others. Sometimes 1 person probably gets his map which 7 other players don’t enjoy. Maybe 6 of them would still stay but the one guy is leaving…are these people mad then? Isn’t it even more selfish to expect that 7 people play your map, which they clearly don’t enjoy?

TBH if i see a map which i totally dislike and somebody else dodges i’m not mad. It just shows how bad the system is.

2 Likes

Here’s just my experience with the problems you have raised. I am not saying you may not have the problems, but how I perceive them. For context, I play teamgames with friends at around 2000 TG elo.

For me this is more like 1 in 4 games. What baffles me is that it also happens when we have no maps banned.

Agree with this.

I don’t know anything about these. You are just speculating about the behaviour of other people, so what’s stopping me from saying that you are just making these up?

For me this is a 1 in 100 games problem.

As I come to think of it, many of the problems might be mitigated for party queuers. The one map ban per player really hinders solo queuers.

According to me teamgames are so much more playable now than back in the voobly days, hardly anybody accepted fmt games back then.

You only have that problem 1 out of 100 games??? Either you are lucky or i am unlucky, lol.

To alt+f4 when you play as a party with no bans:

1. Sometimes people just bug out(similiar to dropping out of a game)
  2. You can face 4 soloplayers even as a team…and if you only have 1 ban it can happen fast that you get a map you don’t enjoy.