DE is a complete joke regarding teamgames

Right now, there is nothing that frustrates me more than people alt-f4ing. If you like to play any map besides Arabia and Arena, you would know how frequently that happens, and how demoralizing it is. It happens much more frequently than getting a matchup with bad teammates etc., the kind of problems you are mentioning.

If there is one thing I loathe above all else, it’s inconsistent hypocrisy. I cannot in good conscience alt-f4 yet complain about it being a problem. You can’t think murder is bad yet murder someone yourself (not trying to suggest here these are comparable ‘crimes’, obviously, but you get my point). I have to trust that the vast majority of people dont want to alt-f4 and that the problem is a minority of people who are fine sacrificing the fun of others and exclusively prioritize their own. So, no, I’m not prioritizing everyone’s fun over my own, but each time you or I alt-f4, it is going to frustrate someone else who might then in turn begin doing the same. And what fun would there be for anyone if we all kept going alt-f4?

This is why I wont alt-f4. Instead, I’d rather try to make the best out of playing a map i personally dont like. And who knows, it might be a fun match after all.

Just jumping to discussion, not really sure, but if people alt+f4, I don’t think they thought it’s a problem?

Disclaimer: I never play 3v3 or 4v4 TG so I dont have comments on the main issue.

I understand you have frustrations.

But the moment you alt-f4, you lose all right (imo) to complain about multiplayer problems in AOE2, seeing as you are actively causing one of the biggest of these problems, experienced by a lot of people (which is why there is a tagged post about this right now.

So if you really still feel you have the right to alt-f4, then there’s not much I have to say to you. I’ll await what solution the Devs have in mind, who - unfortunately for you, apparently - agree that players alt-f4ing is a problem.

I like pretty much every map more than Arabia so i know how annoying it can be.

There is also noch hypocrisy in what i am saying. I acknowledge alt+f4 being a problem yet i can understand people who are doing this.

Why? Because the game itself is the reason why people tend to do this in the first place. If you force people to play sth. they don’t enjoy…the will only accept it a short amount of time. After that they will find solutions for themselves, which is alt+f4 or quitting the game.

I agree with you, that if one starts alt+f4 more people will do it. But do you think the current matchmaking would be fine without it? I wouldn’t be surprised that in situations where sb wants to dodge, more than 50% would prefer not to play this game due to the map. How is it ok to force people play a game what they don’t want to play? Don’t you agree that the matchmaking is failing hard in situations like these?

And even worse is, that you can have a terrible mate(leaving early without a reason) and you are forced to play the very next game with him in your team again, even if you report him. How is that okay? These are the situations i will always alt+f4…because if sb. destroys my game…why should i play the next game with him again, knowing that he will probably do the same crap again?

1 Like

I suppose they aren’t as bothered by it, but if you read the various discussion topics about it, there are plenty of people who have expressed how much it messes up their experience. It is, indeed, worse for 3v3 and 4v4 than 1v1 because the odds that one player unilaterally decides to bomb the game is higher

I am going to agree with you here that the Devs could’ve responded much sooner to this issue and that the lack of response is certainly not helping discourage alt-f4ing. And though I have never experienced being with the same crappy teammate twice in a row, I can imagine how annoying that must be. I don’t have a team myself either, and thus always play with random people, so I do not want to make it seem that I don’t understand why people do it, like you say.
That isn’t the hypicrisy, of course, it’s the actual doing of it.

I know I won’t convince people who currently alt-f4 but I just wanted to tackle the countless justifications for the practice that you see here daily.

Let’s hope the devs have a solution soon

Well i can only speak for myself/my elo but if i find a game it’s more likely that i know more names of the lobby than i don’t. I have had days where i played in 3 out of 5 games the same team or had the same teammates…sure what can u do if the playerbase is at this time so small…but at least let me play vs this crappy teammate rather than having him in my team again.

That is why the smurfing issue is even bugging me so hard. You play 1 game vs them, lose, start the queue, play vs them again…nice

You are straight up lying, or your game runs so poorly that you can’t even notice it.

wish you people would start commenting on better forum posts.
Bunch of ■■■■■■■■ everywhere

I can see where that is frustrating… I guess Im at a lower elo than you so there’s more variety in people one gets matched with, so I received I run into the issue less

why is that a problem. Everyone likes some map and hate some. Why should anyone be forced to play some map that they hate playing when they’re interested in playing all the other 7 maps in the pool.

But a teamgame of aoe2 takes more than 30 minutes and unlike many fpv shooting games, this needs a lot of team coordination.

1 Like

Shooter take also a lot of coordination, i would even say that it’s harder to play Counter-Strike with foreign people without voip, than it is to play Age of Empires 2.

Also 30 minutes is already post imp, it’s minute 51 ingame.

AoE2 TG is brutally hard without coordination too.