Devs PoV about adding More Civs

You can see what devs think on the topic of more civs here:

The links are taken from AOEZone topic by “robchang” credit for finding these goes to him.

My personal PoV is more civs could be comming but we need to be considerate not to break the game not only balance but what is possible and what is not when it comes to AoE2 feel. Im all for anything reasonable that can keep the game fresh and the community active but some of the suggestions I see in the forum worry me what we may end up having.

Anyway enjoy the read. Im sure many if you will be interested.

19 Likes

I agree. It is fine to add new civs to broaden the realm of Aoe2 and keep game fresh. But it should not break balance to ruin competitive play and should not introduce too much Aoe3 things. I worry about what devs think about.

9 Likes

I’m afraid some users suggestion of generals with auras, units that turn into a boat when moving into water, and “within X distance of a town center” kind of effects may become real if we keep this path.

3 Likes

An objective issue in my opinion, is that there are barely any reasonable civilizations to be added without diluting the mix, which we already have. There are probably thousands of nations and people in the world (especially in the past), but do we need to include every single one of them?
I guess you understand what I mean. On the other hand, I think that the world is already well represented and having less than 15, lets say, is a crime against accuracy and it would make the game more predictable and boring.
However, at one point, we will have to introduce the inuits, if we keep on adding with this rate!
Here’s the world:

2 Likes

It is really hard to decide If and what civs is best to be added. Representation is only one of the aspects/ Than comes design and balance is last for me. It is good to have more regions and nations represented but it should not be a purpose of its own as you say there are not so many reasonable civs left. Also when it comes to designing the civs I am starting to get worried with some bonuses getting a bit too crazy and the game in danger of loosing its identity and feel.

I do think there is still some room for few more civs to be added but I would rather see a more conservative approach with both civ choices and civ bonuses.

So dissapointing, you can always find many players that will ask for more civs. It’s harder to understand that great games are often simple at their core, continuously adding doesn’t make it better. Meanwhile many fundamental problems are left ignored. Some argue that the game needs more civs to stay interesting… I doubt that these players are actually trying to learn everyting that is already in the game. This highlights how nonsensical this argument is since they would also grow tired of these new civs and ask for more over time. The quality of the game deteriorates when civs become less diverse and unique. I don’t see how it benefits the growth of an esport to make a complex game even more complex. Overall gameknowledge dillutes and it becomes a chore to actually understand how to play different matchups, this happens from a player and viewer perspective. At least it can be said that the rate of adding civs is WAY too fast, 6 new civs in the span of 1 year??? Before DE I thought 31 civs was plenty, then 35 was a shock, now 37 and perhaps more in the future… I don’t even want to believe it.

8 Likes

Ofcourse, now that we have got the Burgundians and the Sicilians, there are no entire regions of the world which have are covored by only one or two civilizations.

3 Likes

Teutons only represent top half of Germany

There is waaaaaay more civs to add, before anyone considers the Inuit.

1 Like

I could name a few :clown_face:

1 Like

Everyone can.
Iroquois and Mississipians, for example.
:sunglasses:

4 Likes

there are civs to add before anyone considers Iroquois or Mississippians

3 Likes

Not really, since we have nothing on North America, and those 2 + Tarrascans would make the cut pretty nice.

3 Likes

Exactly. To represent Germany/HRE correctly and properly, we need ATLEAST:

Swabians,
Bavarians,
Bohemians,
Swiss,
Danes,
Dutch,
Saxons,
Carinthians,
Luxembourgers,
Flanders,
and Franconians.

Oh, and also Thuringians and Styrians as @CheshireWig3203 suggested.
And let’s remember the devs were almost about to add the Habsburgs as a seperate civilization in AoK, so about time that happens.

Can’t wait to see the Franconians face off against the Chinese!
Or the Thuringians against the Japanese!

1 Like

Dont they cover the entire HRE and teutonic order prussians too?

No, they don’t. They also don’t cover the:

Swabians,
Bavarians,
Bohemians,
Swiss,
Danes,
Dutch,
Saxons,
Carinthians,
Habsburgs,
Luxembourgers,
Flanders,
Thuringians
Styrians
and Franconians.

1 Like

Swiss and Bohemians are really big on the priority list, I am afraid.
They are too cool to miss, and both represent the ending of the period in one way.

Swiss brought about the end of Heavy Cavalry domination of the battlefield, and Bohemian Hussites were arguably the first wave of the impending Reformation period.

3 Likes

They cover Teutons (northern Germanic tribes), but their unique unit covers the order

Don’t feed the troll
(I love reporting him 20 times a day)

1 Like

Great! And let’s remember the devs were almost about to add the Habsburgs as a seperate civilization in AoK, so about time that happens.

I’m sure all of you are aware the Persians had been under the Saracens anyway in Aoe2 period, so their merger is due for 23 years now! Welcome to the new Mus… Saracens!!! Sarracenos FTW!!

And besides, we already have umbrella civs for those peripheral edges of the world as pointed out by people, so I am sure nobody will mind!

1 Like