Disconnect after few minutes playing multiplayer (Problem persists after update)

Disconnects persist after Hotfix 34483

Any error message text (if any):

• “You have been disconnected from the network. Please check your connection and try again”

What Network Hardware are you using?

• Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller

What ISP do you use?

• Telekom (Germany)

In what region are you connecting to the game?

• Hannover, Germany

Are you using a VPN?

• No VPN

Any other information about your networking that might help the team…

• Updated drivers, dxdiag in profile
• Windows 10 up-to-date

• No problems with any other software (discord, steam etc.)

Another 2 games without issues. Later, or maybe tomorrow, I’ll try a game with people outside my network (I don’t know if this can pose a difference).

In our case, Windows update 1909 (November update) was stuck with an error and we had to update manually downloading this.

1 Like

It’s good to hear that LAN games perform well now for you. Usually with Windows installation related problems the media creation tool, which you could also use to create fresh Windows 10 USB install media, works also fine for in-place upgrade of Windows 10 installations. And you still keep all your data and installed applications too. If you have to do more pc’s at your home it also saves download time. You can use the same USB stick to upgrade all pc’s if primary language and architecture matches. You can also change the settings to create a USB stick for 64 and 32 bit together.

Regarding online MP. There will be some blood for sure.

I get disconnected with the in-game error message once every 2 games on build 34483, and when i don’t, i still have the small red ping icon in the score next to my name the whole game and the server lags tremendously. Sometimes the game even freezes and then it has to catch up, speeding the game up for a few secs.

1 Like

Lot of other players in my game disconnecting. And this is ranked right at the start.

EDIT ~ three games in a row someone else crashed at the start after a lag spike that affected all players

you can also use a vpn but make sure the vpn has connected you to the prefered server just as ur pc starts or before starting steam at least, because sometimes aoe2 de will not let you into the multiplyer section with the pop up saying "cannot connect to steam, check your internet or something like that.
i personally use proton vpn but you can use any vpn, even the free ones

…60 days.

Happy 2 month anniversary!

Bought the game 60 days ago today.

Still can’t play a single match online without being disconnected.

Friends are burnt out of the game now. But i bet co-op WOULD have been fun.

I guess I should have bought, literally anything else with the $20 bucks. It would have been more fulfilling to give the $20 bucks to a crack head on the street. At least his high would be real, not these fake highs I get when i see these updates/patches and then still get disconnected from every-single online match

Happy 2 months anniversary

3 Likes

I totally agree with Lbow86. I bought the game when released and I’m still getting random disconnects all the time when playing with friends, both online and via LAN. We all have clean formatted pc’s with fibre connection 500Mbit and its only AoE2DE having trouble, not any other game or 3rd party app. This is a very bad release by Microsoft!

I can confirm that the game STILL disconnect players randomly all the time when playing togher online or via LAN! We’re getting very tired of this bug/issue!!! When we pay for a game, we expect the game to work within normal parameters after 60 days from the release date.

Disconnects happen to all players, randomly. Its either the host disconnecting, or some other player… We’re all using Windows 10, playing the game via steam, not logged into Xbox acc, and all PCs are running good OS setups (some PCs are even clean formatted recently).

1 Like

…And just to add to erlNite, I have also tried playing while logged into Xbox account. No change

1 Like

Just had a game that contained a dev that had a huge lag spike then everyone slowly got dropped one by one. Well, pretty rough.

EDIT ~ Then a game where I get instantly kicked to Statistics before I can even select my Town Center. Yet it says You Are Victorious.

+16 points for a 2 second game

EDIT ~ Game after that I couldn’t make vils or move my vils

1 Like

I’ll have to add: When we were 8 players playing togheter, one of us got disconnected all the time. But for some strange reason, when everyone restarted the game (quit the game to steam and then started it again) it actually worked fine afterwards - for one full game though lol. Maybe there are stuff (bugs etc) happening after playing one game, therefore restarting the game fixed this? I don’t know, but maybe the devs can use this information to isolate the issues regarding disconnections. Also, are there any difference if not using the steam version? I wonder… *11

1 Like

I FOUND A SOLUTION AT LAST

I would usually disconnect about HALF my multiplayer games. Most within the first 5 mins, but plenty afterwards. It was especially bad on ranked queue, lobby browser was marginally better but still plenty of disconnects.

Here is the solution: I installed and used a VPN. Not the most ideal solution and don’t have the technical knowledge to know WHY this fixed my issue but I just played 15 games without a single disconnect, which was unprecedented and I feel confident saying that the VPN is clearly the solution. Hope this info helps players who are affected and most importantly, help the developers narrow down this issue. I’ve posted my PC specs in previous comments.

1 Like

I’m facing the same problem and for some reason this only happens in brazilsouth server.
In eastus server I’m not disconnected but I can’t finish a match because the units stop to obey the commands.

What ISP do you use?

• NET Claro, Brazil

In what region are you connecting to the game?

• Brazil

Are you using a VPN?

• No VPN

Any other information about your networking that might help the team…

• Updated network drivers
  • NAT Type Open
  • The friend I’m trying to play with has the same ISP and he doesn’t have the disconnection problem.
  • Using Microsoft Store version
  • I had to restore the game in Windows’ Settings App in order to fix some problems

Using a VPN (or a mobile hotspot) is a workaround, not the solution. The solution is that the game needs to be patched so it doesn’t disconnect with whatever network configurations any and all of us here are using.

I’ve considered what it would take get the game running through a VPN, but honestly I shouldn’t have to use VPN to play this game, when any other multiplayer game I have works fine without a VPN.

1 Like

I’ve been able to play another game without issues, but this time not on LAN, with a couple of friends. I asked them to update W10 to the newest version, including november update (every one of us had that update stuck with an error, so we had to download it manually).

Guys, it would be great if more of you could try updating W10 and giving feedback.

1 Like

Can confirm after update 34699 this problem still persists.
Apparently the game will automatically be saved for restoring now, but I assume the others players won’t be kicked, but just be able to continue to play (not sure).

3 Likes

I agree with staying current, but just one build behind should never be a problem as long it’s with it’s supported time frame of that build.

Now After latest update !!! (34699)

when using a VPN my internet goes slower. Which one do you use?