Disconnect after few minutes playing multiplayer (Problem persists after update)

@GMEvangelos

More logs for the team:

Windows 10 1090 x64
Ram 32gb @3200
I7 8700k@ 5ghz
RTX 2080Super using 441.66 driver.

playing using cable here so no wifi. from Norway.
i lose connection to server every now and then since release and at different time sometimes 5 min sometimes an hour into the game but since last update seems like im losing it at 5 min mark.

Thank you for the logs.

• Would you mind replying or messaging me with the model of the Router and Modem you’re using?
  • What ISP are you using, and from what country?
  • What is the behavior you are seeing when you disconnect? Is it every match? Is it at a specific time?

Thanks again!

1 Like

Thank you for the information and for the game logs. I’ve passed all of the information along to the team!

I am sorry to hear you are also experiencing this issue, and assure you that if there were an easy fix, it would be fixed.

If you would like to contribute to the discussion, please feel free to explain what the issue looks like on your end and include the requested information:

• Modem Model/Information
  • Router Model/Information
  • ISP and Country
  • Game Logs
  • etc.

If you provide this information, I will ensure that it gets to the people who have the power to work towards a solution that helps everyone!

I fixed this problem with this method:

1. Click Start, then Settings.
  2. At the bottom of the settings tab, you will see a “Device Manager” option, click it.
  3. In the device manager, head to the “Network Adapter” option and select your network card, right click on it and then select “Properties”.
  4. Go to the Power Management option and uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.

I just tried that. Still disconnected a few min into the dark age.

Given that I’m able to avoid disconnects by physically bringing my laptop to a different network, I didn’t expect tweaking the power management to help.

Isn’t it simpler and faster to add a reconnect feature?

If it has already been suggested, can you tell us again why this option was not implemented?

Thanks.

are you crazy having a reconnect function in a multiplayer game ?
this technology doesn’t exist, its better to see people get ■■■■■■ for 3 months and not able to play the game

HAHAHa, really, where I was with my mind, I must have collided with some parallel dimension that had such technology.

By the way, I managed to play some matches with the Windscribe VPN (2gb free), I believe that other VPNs can also be used as an workaround.

And, devs, a game in debug mode can help a lot in the investigation, if you want you can pass it on to me and / or to others in that situation.

My router model is TP–Link TL-WR740N and my ISP is ‘Wateen’ and I’m from Pakistan. Don’t know how to get game logs.

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro x64 version 10.0.17763 Build 17763
Z390 Aorus Master with an Intel l219-V Ethernet Adapter
i7 9700k @ 4,9ghz all core
16gb RAM @ 3200
GTX 1080 ti using 442.19 Driver

Modem/Router: Easybox 904 xDSL
ISP: Vodafon Germany, 100mbit VDSL

I can´t see a specific behavior when the disconnects happen. Time doesnt matter, almost every game dcs. I finished a game yesterday once, then again 4 dc´s at the 5 minute mark in a row.

2 Likes

I have like 250+ 1v1 rated, games but had 4 drops over only the past 2 days (out of like 9 games), no particular behaviour seen… Some were at imp others at 9 min mark.

ISP: VTR
Coutry: Chile
Ethernet Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Modem model: ARRIS TG2492LG

Hello, just posting to note that my issue was resolved. I was able to determine that the problem was at my ISPs side. I tried connecting from my work network instead of home, and it worked without any problems. Narrowing the cause down to either my ISP or router, it turned out to be ISP. My ISP uses what’s called CGNAT, which is a way for the ISP to avoid assigning public IPs to customer endpoints (normally static ips are only necessary if hosting a game or service, so in theory CGNAT should be OK, but they seem to have a configuration issue). They have a configuration issue with their implementation resulting in intermittent disconnections, which had affected AOE2, and also PUBG, twitch chat would also continually reconnect (interestingly many other games, or activities weren’t affected though they are internet connected). I was able to resolve the problem by having the ISP instead assign a static IP address to my router. This problem is likely to be ISP specific, I live in New Zealand, and am using 2Degrees Broadband.
I would encourage others experiencing problems to try connecting from another network, e.g. take PC to work, or friends house, or mobile hotspot, to see if you have a different result.
From perspective of AOE2, maybe it’s possible to improve resiliance of the game / network architecture, but only a network engineer / developer would have sufficient experience to comment on that aspect.
I believe generally speaking, the often mentioned ability to reconnect to games would also be very welcome.

Thanks all for sharing your feedback, it is useful.

4 Likes

Howdy replying in hopes of it helping get this problem fixed for me.
1: error message is “Sorry. You have lost connection to Multiplayer Services”
2: Network adapter is TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter but it disconnects even if hardwired so probably not that. Router is Aruba Networks, can’t really see the model number as it is bolted to the wall in the dorm but it looks to be the APIN0205 but again can’t see the exact model.
3: Apogee is the ISP
4: US East, Galveston
5: no
6: Internet is occasionally spotty here but in this instance AOE2DE is the only application that loses internet not my computer.

Edit: I’ve only tried to play 4 games, all at different times of the day. Disconnects happen at the 4-5 minute mark and the same occurs if I sit idle in a multiplayer lobby as host. I have not attempted anything else.

1 Like

Hello,

I have the same problem, the game disconecting after max 5 min of playtime . The thing is that me and my girlfriend are trying to play this game from 2 laptops(two games purchased), she can play without any problems, mine just disconnects. The other thing ist that i can not create a game in LAN, just loads for 20 sec. that: Can not connect. My girlfriends laptop work fine and she can create in LAN mode and she can play online without any problem.
My spesc:
Asus ROG G703VI
ISP - Vodafone
Modem Easybox 904
AOE 2 - Definitive edition
Girlfriend: Lenovo Y50-70
I hope this gets resolved, because we want to play together.

1 Like

This is interesting. I’ve noticed that I even disconnect from multiplayer services at the main menu - you can tell because the profile icon switches back to the default male villager, and clicking on multiplayer takes a moment to connect you again.

Jusr tried a game after 2 month not playing. Lost connection before building the second house. This game is so over… good example for destroying a legend.

1 Like

Fix this please Microsoft. I want to play :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Game is broken. RIP soon