Does AOE Def. being exclusively on Windows 10 upset you?

Yeah it upsets me. I have Windows 10 but the fact that the player base is going to be a lot smaller than it could be is something that I think can easily, and should, be avoided.

Yes, simply because it excludes people for no apparent and sensible reason.

I mean, why should AoE be limited to only win10? Does that make any sense at all, when Aoe2 and AoM are already available via Steam and without limiting its use to a certain operating system?
Think about it.

Oh and by the way, i fear that is limiting user numbers for online play as well…

@Castor42Pollux said:

I mean, why should AoE be limited to only win10? Does that make any sense at all, when Aoe2 and AoM are already available via Steam and without limiting its use to a certain operating system?
Think about it.

Oh and by the way, i fear that is limiting user numbers for online play as well…

Because they need a spotlight for the store.

@Augustusman said:

@Castor42Pollux said:

Think about it.

Because they need a spotlight for the store.

That is exactly what I was pointing at. No Reason aside from that one.

@KingDarBoja said:

@Raw1812 said:
Would I have liked AoEDE to be available on every possible platform? Yes. Just for the good of the game.

Am I ‘upset’ (or, disappointed) it is a Win10 exclusive? No. Why not?

First of all, no one is saying “I want to play on win8”. There seems to be a LOT of win7 users who have this elitist attitude about win7 just because 8 turned your PC into a giant iPhone, but fear not! Win10 is a very good OS.

Now, specifically to the win7 people:
So what should you win7 users do in this case? I think you need to set down your butter churns, lace up your boots and bonnets, jump in the family horse buggy and head on down to your local apothecary to fill your country doctor’s prescription for win10.

Seriously guys, the new millenium is not as scary as it sounds.

It isn’t about elitist attitude about WIN 7, it is about MONEY because some of us don’t have enough gold mines to upgrade our OS. I have my own computer running WIN 7 but my brother got a new one (yeah, my parents bought it) with WIN 10 installed, so I am gonna use it to play the game.

Meanwhile I will just save my university earnings (if I had some) to get into the new OS.

It was a free update for one plus year. No excuses :slight_smile:

@CycloneGU said:

@Emberguard said:
That’s the whole point though. They didn’t install an update, windows did without warning. If I hadn’t turned off updates completely in Win 8 it would have automatically updated to Win 10 because they included it under the “recommended updates only” setting

Not to mention Win 10 didn’t even have a turn off updates button when it was first released. Haven’t checked now but I wouldn’t be surprised if updates are still mandatory. Pretty sure I’ve got it on metered (aka recommended) at the moment

See my post above yours. I can not only confirm that you are still forced to have updates shoved down your throat - which is annoying enough - but I can now also confirm that disabling Windows Update via the services pane no longer works. I used to do this, then the Anniversary Update came along when I eventually ran updates again. Ever since then, any attempt to disable the Windows Update service stays in place for a while, but eventually and without my request, it’s restored to a “manual” trigger by the following morning and allowed to run in the background, slowing down everything I’m doing and doing weird things while it updates stuff. My only cure was to turn on metered connection. Works like a charm. Can leave Windows Update running since it doesn’t do a thing that way.

If Microsoft ever decides it has the right to bypass that, I will be a very angry storm cloud. I’m already a bit disgruntled.

Yea do not do updates and pay WannaCry…

@sobao said:
I think that it would be better to release on steam. There is a established community already that would improve the experience of the players.

Yeah it would be better but what is the problem now?

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

@KingDarBoja said:

@Raw1812 said:
Would I have liked AoEDE to be available on every possible platform? Yes. Just for the good of the game.

First of all, no one is saying “I want to play on win8”. There seems to be a LOT of win7 users who have this elitist attitude about win7 just because 8 turned your PC into a giant iPhone, but fear not! Win10 is a very good OS.

So what should you win7 users do in this case? I think you need to set down your butter churns, lace up your boots and bonnets, jump in the family horse buggy and head on down to your local apothecary to fill your country doctor’s prescription for win10.

It isn’t about elitist attitude about WIN 7, it is about MONEY because some of us don’t have enough gold mines to upgrade our OS. I have my own computer running WIN 7 but my brother got a new one (yeah, my parents bought it) with WIN 10 installed, so I am gonna use it to play the game.

Meanwhile I will just save my university earnings (if I had some) to get into the new OS.

I would be already rich every time someone said that. In fact there was a lot of bad commentaries about upgrading WIN 10 like as unstable setup, crashes, etc so I never went for it.

@CycloneGU said:

@Progvo said:
Well I wish it worked on MSDOS 1.0, but oh well.

Seriously though, why would anyone want to run anything else than Windows 10 anyway? The past might be good and all but why still live in it? Sure I wouldn’t have minded if it had worked on Linux and Mac OS, but historically DOS/Windows has been the OS for PC gamers anway. And the fact that that will also make it run on Xbox One I guess is a plus as well.

Though I have Windows 10, I can comment that there are other games and things that I cannot run on Windows 10 that I still would use. And don’t tell me about the Microsoft .NET framework; that has helped get some things running, but it’s still not ideal.

@KingDarBoja said:

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

@KingDarBoja said:

@Raw1812 said:

I would be already rich every time someone said that. In fact there was a lot of bad commentaries about upgrading WIN 10 like as unstable setup, crashes, etc so I never went for it.

Ok, you could try it yourself but I understand.

Steam and Win store are different, microsoft is put in their own store the game.
They are competitors . They need promoting mS store.
They even don’t care helping steam to reach his target market. Create a steam port don’t help the MS Store.

@MisguidedMonk54 Don’t worry, my brother has a brand new computer with WIN10, so far I have seen it is better that WIN7, the only issue is that I haven’t tested too many games on it (as it isn’t mine).

I personally don’t mind because I run Windows 10 and have never had a problem. If folks want to use XP than that is their decision but eventually games are going to be developed that are not compatible. Eventually everyone has to move on.

The arguments like “help the MS Store” and “free upgrade” are lousy arguments. If they wanted to promote MS Store, they could do it with other ways and not with something, that is nostalgic for many players. That means those players are way older than the current young masses and thus it is more probable, that they have older computers or systems. Or just like the older interface and freedom of Windows 7.

But simply restricting such a good game just to one platform (and just one iteration of the OS on that platform) is a bad management decision. They will certainly not make money this way (people won’t buy new computers or Win 10 licenses just for this game).

And considering the promotion of Windows Store - this will just degrade the already bad name of the store. People will dislike it even more.

So where are the positives? Exactly - there are no positives. Microsoft proved in the past, that their “store” and multiplayer connection options are far more worse than the seamless Steam multiplayer play.

I’m not looking to argue with any of the windows 10 fans (which I presume would like to satisfy their need for defe. These lines above are just facts - bad management decision from Microsoft. Even worse name for their store (which is even joke compared to mobile stores of Android and iOS games and not even reaching heels of stores like Steam or even Gog with their Galaxy stuff).

The arguments like “help the MS Store” and “free upgrade” are lousy arguments. If they wanted to promote MS Store, they could do it with other ways and not with something, that is nostalgic for many players. That means those players are way older than the current young masses and thus it is more probable, that they have older computers or systems. Or just like the older interface and freedom of Windows 7.

But simply restricting such a good game just to one platform (and just one iteration of the OS on that platform) is a bad management decision. They will certainly not make money this way (people won’t buy new computers or Win 10 licenses just for this game).

And considering the promotion of Windows Store - this will just degrade the already bad name of the store. People will dislike it even more.

So where are the positives? Exactly - there are no positives. Microsoft proved in the past, that their “store” and multiplayer connection options are far more worse than the seamless Steam multiplayer play.

I’m not looking to argue with any of the windows 10 fans (which I presume would like to satisfy their need for defe. These lines above are just facts - bad management decision from Microsoft. Even worse name for their store (which is even joke compared to mobile stores of Android and iOS games and not even reaching heels of stores like Steam or even Gog with their Galaxy stuff).

@reno agreed. I prefer Win 8 to WIn 10 simply because it’s less likely to mess with the settings due to it not having to update whenever it connects to the internet.

Don’t know what all the fuss is regarding Win 8 being so “inferior” to Win 10. Can barely tell the difference between the two OS’s apart from the windows button in Win 10 showing in one click what would have been two clicks in WIn 8. It’s almost the exact same layout Win 8 uses just what’s on the left hand side isn’t on another page.

First of all, I have to say there is no problem on playing it on W10. But I seriously think those exclusivities make no sense in the long term, and can affect negatively a game. We are all excited to see the return of an all-time favorite videogame, but after all, for Microsoft is a product they want to sell. And if it does not sell a lot, we know what can happen with it…

So, if they want to sell it properly, it’s a NEED to release it on Steam too, because it’s a fact that most of computer players are on Steam. And in addition, there is the famous Steam Workshop, which together with the brilliant new expansions, makes Age of Empires II HD an immortal game. I really think it will be released on Steam, and this W10-WStore exclusivity is only an evident technique to give renown to their own shop, but it makes no sense on releasing it first on one place, and after a time on another one, and personally makes me angry to think what would happen if I buy Age of Empires Definitive Edition on its release, and after a while it’s released on Steam too… ¿will I have to buy it again in order to play it on Steam?

I’m very happy to see again my beloved AoE, and I have to give thanks to Microsoft Games. But seriously, I cannot understand that exclusivity strategy, that really can block the arrival of such a great videogame to all PC players.

Yes, but not so much because it’s on Windows 10 exclusively but more so because it’s through the Windows Store. I agree with other comments that this should be released on Steam. At minimum you should have options to purchase off the shelf and via Steam.

@CycloneGU said:

@“Sky Maniac” said:

@CycloneGU said:

@“Sky Maniac” said:
I understand peoples opinions on why they want it on the other platforms.

The point is: We’re suppose to be moving forward - Old software is Old software. Upgrade or lose out. It’s actually very simple.
I used that as an example as it’s similar. A new gaming console is pretty similar to a new Operating system - it’s been improved, is more secure and is updated regulary.
of course it comes with a cost - luckily MS offered everyone with W7/8 a free upgrade to W10 - otherwise it’s a £120 purchase.

If you refuse to upgrade or can’t for what ever reason then AoE is still available - just not AoE:DE
and to be honest people who play games on a PC generally have a PC that can run W10.

And there’s the problem. “We have to find a way to make people upgrade to the OS we want them to use…I know! Let’s stop supporting the other OS!” That’s a good way to alienate a very large part of a potential player-base. For PC gaming, it’s a great way to make a game fail. Microsoft is going to learn this the hard way, and sooner or later, they’ll come crawling to Steam where the majority of players are and offer Windows 7 support so more can play. It’s inevitable.

Windows 7 is a more than eight years old platform. I don’t want the devs to waste time to make AoE DE compatible with it (or Win 8.1). As it includes 4k gaming, I’m fine that they develop it for the latest Windows, not the oldest still supported.

Am I the only jerk typing from an Apple device? I have been totally happy with GameRanger and have had great success throughout the years playing AOE on the light side…

Any idea when we’ll get required specs? Would rather buy a dedicated windows PC than try to bootcamp or run a VM for one game.

I wonder what a lot of people here will do when they have to buy a new PC/laptop and are no longer able to downgrade to Win7. MS has good reasons to drop support quickly enough for older OSes. Not only will they have more resources (money and people) to update, secure and enhance the current OS, also it further simplifies the support for suppliers, sellers, manufacturers and users. If that means that they will use a lot of tricks to push the users towards their latest OS than so be it. I am sure they thought of this long and hard, and if you think reasonably you would eventually do the same. Every business has the same goal: make as much money as possible with the least effort. This is not being greedy or arrogant, but just a simple law in the increasingly harder world of business.