Excited things I found in the October 1st stream video

They said theyre still tweaking the zoom level before launch in an interview last week, as well as global queue and other things.

(originally replied to wrong person)

3 Likes

Exactly. Ive been saying this over and over, beta builds are OLD BUILDS even by the time they release them to be played. And a server stress test is not going to be the most representative test bc thats not what its for. Anything can be improved before launch from betas, even graphics, and many thing were probably already fixed before the stress test, they were just fixed after that build.

2 Likes

I agree with most of this thread - the game looks more polished for sure. However, the arrow coming off the knee of the archers seems to still be there. I honestly donā€™t think itā€™s that big of a deal anymore given the many fixes - but I hope they also address this by launch and tie the remaining loose ends. Good stuff.

7 Likes

Stop playing at 0.10 speed and you wouldnā€™t notice

I unfortunately noticed it during regular gameplay during the Stress Test. Again, itā€™s not the biggest deal because itā€™s nowhere near as bad as what it was during the Fan Preview. So itā€™s fine.

I also noticed that arrows coming from the crotch is still there. The other mayor issue is that bows are static, they donā€™t extend when the archer pulls back.

I also saw the weird shield placement glitch in the latest gameplay video. Itā€™s still there.

Good eye. I donā€™t expect the bow bending to be at the top of their to-do list for archer animations. What is the shield placement glitch?

Since the stress test and closed beta forums are gone, itā€™s hard to grab a screenshot that hasnā€™t been deleted already, but basically ever since the closed beta, units with shields (infantry, cavalry) have this weird glitch that causes the shield to behave erratically (facing the wrong side or floating in weird positions). Iā€™ve seen it mostly when units are doing their attack animations.

If you are looking for it, you will catch it quickly in the official videos.

Edit: Itā€™s right there in the HRE reveal trailer no less (look at the knights):

Minute 1:24

1 Like

Alright, Iā€™m glad thereā€™s hype, but I donā€™t agree with your conclusions here.

The archers are shooting arrows from their knees, not really sure what looks nice here. The quality of this clip is also like 144p.

They look identical to the cav in the beta, just red instead of yellow in this case.

If you look into the top right, this is ā€œCinematic Mode,ā€ which is likely a zoom level limited to watching replays or observing games. It sorda looks better I guess, but Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s actually any difference here between the two images you posted?

So yeah, look: Iā€™m glad you are hyped but I am not really holding my breath here. I think the technical stress test was effectively the product that we will get on release date.

My main issues with the game remain unaddressed:

• UI revamp hasnā€™t happened (icons too similar, minimap bad)
  • Graphical fidelity in terms of unit textures remains really poor, making units hard to distinguish from one another
  • Only some buildings appear to change visually with age-ing up, making military buildings hard to distinguish
  • Buildings donā€™t look alive (i.e chicken in town centers, horses in stables never move)
  • Destruction animations still particularly poor, buildings break into a few puzzle pieces rather than thousands of bricks
  • Arrows never miss
  • Siege units have no crews and are too accurate
  • Whether a building is on fire should be obvious, but they know the game is not that readable so they put a cartoony ā€œbuilding is on fire!ā€ icon above your burning building. Just show me flames.
  • Units feel like they are ā€œslidingā€ around, particularly at choke points
  • Destroyed buildings look so confusing and messy ā€“ they should disappear after a while.
  • Glad they added dead bodies, but how suddenly they disappear is jarring and thereā€™s still no blood
  • and the list goes on and onā€¦

Unfortunately, this is still not a game I plan on buying, at least not based on what weā€™ve seen thus far. I would say that one should definitely stay away from pre-ordering, as shipping incomplete or unpolished products should never be rewarded.

11 Likes

Guess what, it happens in AoE2 as well. Wonder why no one complains about thatā€¦

Who said nobody complains about that? I mentioned it in my videos. However, itā€™s not a fair comparison.

We canā€™t compare AoE4ā€™s shortcomings to the 20 year old engine of AOE2. Thatā€™s NOT the standard we should be holding AoE4 to. For example, if pathing in AoE4 was hideous, us saying ā€œWell, AoE2 is just as bad.ā€ would be a wrong way to approach this.

Finally, arrows still arc and come off the bow better in AoE2. The worst offenders are the Kipchaks and Cav Archers overall I think - but the other Archersā€™ arrows are pretty good.

1 Like

The Jannisary fires from his foot. How does an old engine effect that?

Foot is exaggerating. That said, I already mentioned that the projectiles coming off in AoE2 is NOT perfect, but youā€™re missing the point again. We should not be comparing AoE4 with an engine made in 1998. Thatā€™s not the standard. Iā€™m not defending either AoE2 or AoE4 here. In an ideal world, both games would have proper projectile arcing. An engine made in 1998 is more understandable to have some limitations. A 2021 game? Not so much.

2 Likes

No it isnā€™t. Some guy made a post in an old thread showing all the projectiles, the Jannisary was firing from his foot.
You still didnā€™t answer how an old engine has you make it fire from his foot instead of near his waist, where his gun is

I donā€™t know what youā€™ve been looking at. https://youtu.be/C6XvhsA3JPI Here, there are hundreds of Janissaries from different angles firing. Smoke is great. Projectiles are okay. Some more accurate than others. But firing from the foot? No.

In a parallel universe where we go back in time and force Ensemble Studiosā€™ employees to perfect projectiles in 1999, yes, it may be technically possible. An engine being old is not an explanation of why things arenā€™t perfect in it. However, an engine being that old does have an excuse of not being up to the standards we hold it to 2021. If youā€™re seriously criticizing an engine made in 1999 for its shortcomings based on modern standards, I have nothing else to say. A more accurate comparison or criticism would be: Hereā€™s AOE2 and hereā€™s another game made between 1999-2000. Show me a game released in that timeframe that has a significantly better engine than AoE2. One example that comes to mind is Stronghold (although that was released 2 years later than AOE2), and even its arrows werenā€™t perfect.

In 2040, weā€™ll look back at Age of Empires IVā€™s engine and smile at how bad the animations, graphics, effects, etc are. Not to belittle the work done - but how much more sophisticated games will be by then. I donā€™t understand your attack on AoE2 as a defense of AoE4ā€™s shortcomings.

2 Likes

AoE II uses pre-rendered 3D models, converted to 2D sprites for a 2D world. As such, there is no ā€œspatialā€ awareness of where the tip of a gun is, or from where an arrow should be fired. The best that can be done is an approximation because the sprites can change orientation, go up and down hill, etc. If thatā€™s in fact the case with AoE II, the devs actually did a pretty good job at masking this because it is impossible to give real spatial location to stuff rendered in ā€œfakeā€ 3D.

If you have ever played racing/driving games, in 3rd person view sometimes you can see that the light sources donā€™t exactly correspond to where the carā€™s lights are, and thatā€™s infuriating (I used to mod cars for NFS and the light sources had to be moved manually). Same thing happens in AoE IV. What Iā€™m assuming is that these ā€œweapon firing sourcesā€ have not been set properly for each 3D model.

You canā€™t tell when the video is playing, they are deceptive due to being 2d

Iā€™m not criticizing it, Iā€™m pointing out the hypocrisy of people for complaining about something in AoE4 that was in AoE2 yet they didnā€™t complain. The engine has nothing to do with it, they couldā€™ve just as easily placed the projectiles starting point near the bow/gun or whatever is it.

And firing from the foot is the solution?

thats a funny glitch, what a good eye.

@GusTank04 @Oestrichh I can tell you that the way the arrow start on the bow will have literally zero impact on if the game will do well or not.

It has to establish itself as its own thing worth its prize tag next to AOE2:DE and AOE3:DE and in my opinion, so far, it does it pretty poorly.

The factions are not worth 12.5 CHF (13.47 $)/9 CHF (9.70 $) each, Iā€™m sorry. Thereā€™s from my point of view not enough difference between the factions graphically as from a game design point of view to warrant such a high prize tag. Itā€™s ridiculous to ask so much for so few content.

Iā€™m not interested in watching a 5 minute ingame video about trebuchets either. Iā€™d rather have seen 12 starting factions and skip those videos entirely.

2 Likes

It was back then in the 90ā€™s. It was a good approximation given the mix of 2D and 3D in AoE I & II. The old C&C games had similar glitches.

It is definitely not the solution in a 2021 title with everything in 3D where you can define ā€œweapon exit pointsā€ (I have no idea how to call them) and having 3 axes to precisely locate things around the units.