Extreme language Filter (Censor)

Not really a fan of it entirely.

The filter won’t change the personality of that person. Rude people will stay rude unless there’s an actual punishment. Like an in-game report for rude language (and not just a simple swearing imo) and cheaters which allows you to share the chat history with the reviewers. That’s a way better option than this

8 Likes

Me neither, but I understand why they want to add it.
And I agree. Rude people will always find a one to insult. A filter won’t do jack. If you want a better community, we have to be able to report things

9 Likes

As the discussion progressed here and on some other topics I would like to add some more two cents, whilst trying to not repeating myself too much.

First that I find too nonsensical to be searching for scarecrows to blame the filter appearance. Almost everything that comes from that is purely conspirational. What’s the more plausible reason for its existence is a mixture of a wrong understandment and implementation of the community desire for a tool to deal with toxical behavior and the necessity to meet various international age rating standarts.

Second is that I do not oppose the existence of the filter. I even welcome it. But it has to be a option. If you’re not comfortable with strong language and/or want to preserve someone in your care from it when playing the game, it should be your right to do so and to have the availability of an tool to fulfill you such desires. You could even have the option to customize your own chat filter, adding or subtracting to yourself terms to blacklist.

But the contrary should also be possible. If you’re comfortable with communication with strong language in the game, let it be. Just don’t forget that a communication free of limitations is not the same as free of consequencies.

And finally, as myself and others have spoken already, we do want a way to moderate the communication against offensive and toxic behavior, but a filter does nothing for the players in that sense (unless you’re a streamer). All it does is mess with general communication of players. Give us a proper report system.

I really wish that you gals and guys at service of Microsoft hear to the community on this subject and rethink about this implementation. And PLEASE stop insisting on the error of being overly silent about our biggest concerns, it just damages our relation with and view about the developers even more.

12 Likes

Well said.

A reporting system is way better than the filter system

Very well said

6 Likes

edit: I am sry good luck with the game.

1 Like

I’ve just read it, and I used a weird Syntax with “you” and “we”, but thanks ahahaha

Sounds like you were sheltered most of your life. For people like you, they can put an option on to use the filter. I can speak for the majority of the community, and 90% of them don’t want the filter in the game. Society has gotten way too soft lately. Now they’re even carrying it over to video games, You Tube, and other social media sites its a joke these days. Freedom of Speech is a real thing in the USA. Not sure in Communist China, but I have that right in my country.

5 Likes

That’s why we need to have a strong report feature.
Being against the filter is very different than being “pro bullying”.

Some times you just want to say wtf or something like that and then the game censors you like you were a little kid that needs teaching.

4 Likes

Man, just search either this forum or steam forum. Haven’t entered aoezone, but I’m sure you can found a post against it there too. And of course, viper won’t say a thing, because he’s living on AOE. Not a single pro player would say a damn thing about it.

3 Likes

And of course devs/ms refuse to reply or acknowledge the problem.

If you hypocrites think blood, corpses, cursing is bad and should be censored… remember that you can kill people in the game. That’s right, KILL. You massacre thousands using the most cruel methods. How come this is totally acceptable? And what to think of the poor animals getting butchered? Deforestation? Yehova monks preaching false religions? Why is this not censored? I feel totally offended! BAN THIS GAME NOW.

7 Likes

Hot fix was probably my fault i swear a lot and i have anger issues sorry guys lol :frowning:

1 Like

I agree with the OP.
I think there are three major problems that must be take in considerations and here are the “solutions”, imo:

1. We need an option to set the language filter on and off
  2. We need it the “language filter programm” to consider only the language of the game
  3. The delay difference betweeen what was before the patch and now must be almost 0

I need to add the fact that language filter IS a good thing, but the way that it was implemented is a total chaos.

Thanks and best regards.

3 Likes

Convenience obviously. They are famous prominent people and they still need participating in AoE events.

Lol just let they are with good side with the corporation side.

1 Like

And AoE2 DE will be on life support soon, devs have already abandoned it to work on AoE3 DE - you only have a skeleton crew doing hotfixes/patches. Same thing happened to AoE1, rinse, repeat. Certainly don’t buy AoE3 DE or upcoming products unless you’re happy with this mediocre garbage. These pigs only care about money not the fanbase.

4 Likes

Totally agree with OP, this filter is really useless

1 Like

Two adult friends in an unranked, non-spectatorable game, against 2 AI, can’t even have simple, fun conversations anymore? And censoring the entire message rather than just the one word, even tame words, that the filter finds offensive? Pretty hard to believe. And, yes, I noticed the lag in message transmissions, too, as the OP noticed… so censorship can be processed, no doubt.

No words should be censored. And if it’s an absolute must that AoE target a rating of “E” for Everyone, then at least only do so for random MP matches against random opponents. Not when people play with or against their Steam friends only in an unranked, non-spectator match.

So, Gears of War can have grotesque blood, violence and other stuff going on, but we can’t have jovial chat in AoE? Hmm.

4 Likes

But they could just have implemented a toggle so the people who are having communication problems wouldn’t be affected.

I just bought AoE2:DE for a friend as a gift so we could play together, as I didn’t like going back to AoE2:HD (2013). Then, afterward, while we’re playing, I learn of this chat filter, smh. Somewhat second-guessing my decision to buy as a gift, but am hopeful the filter will be removed mostly or fully, and definitely fully for games between friends.

I somewhat get the reason for a filter, but a ‘report’ capability makes a lot more sense to me, as well as asterisking just the offending word rather than rendering the whole chat message unreadable as you then struggle to figure out which word was the problem while you’re also trying to play the game.

5 Likes

I can write onager. Hmm
(before i got around the filter)