Game breaking bug in scenario editor

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: 4#####
  • PLATFORM: Steam / Microsoft Store

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:question: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). Limit to ONE issue per thread.

A problem which has been happening to me ocassionally for months. I wasn’t really sure what was causing it, and i’m still not sure what the real cause is. Every time i open the Hotkeys or Options menu in scenario editor, then click the cancel or back button, there is a chance for ALL OF MY GAME Options to become unselected and empty, game goes to windowed mode and language of the game changes to Portuguese for some who knows why reason.

The problem would be okay if it just did that, but the thing is, it also turns off some features which are not possible to be turned back on with the use of just the options menu.

For example, notifications at the top left for --Villager Created or --Farm Built, stop showing up completely, and the only way is to mess with the steam cloud, replace the AdditionalOptions.aop settings file with a 0 kilobyte file, cause a conflict in the steam cloud, and then reset the settings and turn on what you want. I think we really shouldn’t need to do such a complicated process to fix our game options, so if possible please do something about the bug.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:question: How often does the issue occur?

25% of the time, open Options Menu while in scenario editor, and then click the Cancel button

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:question: List the DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. do stuff in scenario editor
  2. open Options menu
  3. click the cancel button, and you have a chance to reset all your game settings, and change your game to Portuguese, also disabling some ingame stuff like notifications for Villager creation without ANY possible way to bring it back

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

:question: Attach a relevant PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif), VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube), DXDIAG FILE (.txt), or CRASH/GAME LOGS (.aoe2record, .txt) below.

Game changed itself to Portuguese (even tho i am not connected to Portugal at all in my life) and all options got unticked, to 0%, and game got windowed.

This issue is now being tracked, thank you for the report.

1 Like

Did you by chance open up a scenario that was not originally made in AoE II DE?

Sometimes I have an issue similarly like this: the particles settings sometimes automatically changed to low idk why even though I manually set it to ‘high’.
Similarly I encountered this issue by opening options menu in scenario editor.

1 Like

nah it is just simple test scenarios that i create

for example i open scenario editor, create new map, place 10 units to test, then i open something in options or hotkeys menu, i go back to the scenario, and all options are lost, game changes language, and turns windowed.

Fair enough, I have also encountered language changing to Spanish or something, but I remember it about trying old scenarios, possibly I fiddled around in the Options menu too, but cannot confirm.

I have also reported this

1 Like

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• **BUILD #:
  • PLATFORM: Steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:question: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). Limit to ONE issue per thread.

Title says it all. When you are in the scenario editor and go to Options and then press Cancel extremly fast your game changes to window mode, all your options are changed/removed (not hotkeys tho), and the game’s language is changed to Portoguese/Brazil.
Dont ask me why.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:question: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST.

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:question: List the DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. When this error occoured i was in Scenario Editor (I dont want to check for other Game states too)
  2. Press ESC
  3. Click “Options”
  4. Click Cancel as soon as you possibly can

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

:question: Attach a relevant PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif), VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube), DXDIAG FILE (.txt), or CRASH/GAME LOGS (.aoe2record, .txt) below.

On Demand, i could record it and put it on YT, but only if there is a dev or staff that confirms that they need a Youtube Video, if nobody cares about this bug then I won’t bother either

P.s: To all Casual players, dont test this, you dont want to set your Options again (or if you are really curious, backup your option file, whereever that is, or Screenshot your current settings)

2 Likes