Game is a desaster, admit it please

Welcome to the life of a AoEIII fan.

4 Likes

sarcasm mode on
Yes, this game is so disaster that receive 90% positive rating on stress test
https://steamdb.info/app/1015520/
Very bad result for sure, look at review_percentage statistics, it’s SO BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD…
sarcasm mode off
I was one of the most pessimistic people about aoe 4, I predict compelte fail and even crying on closed beta test, but after stress test I must admit, relic nailed nearly perfect in gameplay term
Yes, it have some problems in terms of graphics texture quality, GUI and controls, zoom camera, readability, but it’s easily to fix to be honest, it’s not DOW 3 situation with completely broken core gameplay that got only 48% positive reviews and that got abandoned because it needs completely redone gameplay systems and map design to revive it.
The AOE 4 problems is minor and easily to fix, I’m now sure game will be big success

4 Likes

Pretty agree with this video

4 Likes

Graphic options. Every games have them.

6 Likes

They are using essential engine, it means they can add lot of extra things because it will be graphically NOT demanding. But instead they kept it as mediocre as possible not taking advantage of the low graphics, for me it is ironical, just my opinion.

1 Like

This is such a weird conspiracy lol, I don’t understand why placing a game at the default price for a AAA game, and also releasing on Game Pass at the same time, means that they’re trying to force everyone to buy Game Pass. Its just another way for people to get exposed to the game.

2 Likes

This is also completely false, dude.

First of all, you’ve played nothing but beta, you have no idea how this game will be at launch. Secondly, the idea that Age 2 and Age 3 were released with no bugs is just incorrect. The patch notes are freely available on the internet for you to look at. Balance changes and bug fixes.

A few examples from the 1.0b patch for AoC:

• “Villagers now walk around farms normally if stopped and started again (the infamous “Farm bug”).”
  • “Teuton Town Centers now get their attack bonus.”
  • “Town centers now always take damage from Bombard Towers.”
  • “Male Mayan farmers are now as good as female ones.”
6 Likes

Exactly. The question is, are they going to fix it?

2 Likes

Yeah bro, the game will be exactly the way it is in beta. At most there will be balance changes and bug fixes, it is too late for big changes.

1 Like

I don’t think many people are doing that. A lot of people, myself included, who say they like the game, do so while acknowledging that it’s not perfect and there are improvements that need to be made for it to reach its potential. However, people like OP who deal only in absolutes (game is a desaster) are adding very little in the way of constructive feedback. This is frustrating because a) melodramatics don’t move the conversation forward and b) it’s pretty arrogant for people to presume they speak for the whole community.

We’ll never know what might have been if someone else had made AOE4. I too played all five previous games extensively and for me, at least, AOE4 does take me back and give me that same sense of excitement and fun.

And sure, there are plenty of features and mechanics that have been ignored in AOE4. But this is true if you look at any two members of the series - each one adds and removes mechanics - and yes, each time, there are a certain amount of people who complain because they loved those mechanics (or hate the new ones).

And yes, I agree there are some pretty obvious features missing that I hope they add, if not at launch, then into a roadmap for the future (which I do think they need to release), but there’s enough there for me to purchase and enjoy at launch, and I’ll continue to provide feedback and hope the developers listen and keep improving it.

Ultimate, like each of the entries before it, I think AOE4 will grow its own community and will continue and improve over time with a dedicated set of fans. Some people will come over from other Age games, while others will remain with their favourites. We’re pretty lucky to have so many good games to choose from.

16 Likes

This is about the most objectively true statement I have read on this forum all week. Great post, and I am glad you enjoy AoE4!

12 Likes

Barring a series of catastrophes, I’m too committed to AoE4 now… there’s no turning back… 11

6 Likes

I think there are also a lot of people who have been waiting a long time for a new RTS game and AOE IV has good potential to bring in fresh blood. Really, AOE II DE, SC2 and CoH2 have been the only good ones with enough of a playerbase for a lasting MP community and they’re all quite old at this point.

Personally I think Relic’s done a great job so far in creating something that injects new life into the series while still retaining numerous things that make it ‘an Age game’. RTS players are some of the pickiest gamers on the planet with wildly different preferences so it’s quite the challenge to balance.

I remember buying the CD-ROM versions of AOE II and AOM and playing the crap out of them and later getting into the Relic RTS ones like Dawn of War and Company of Heroes so I’m mainly judging AOE IV on ‘is it a good RTS’ first and foremost rather than being stuck on specific mechanics from a single past game being there.

2 Likes

I am admiting it.

I enjoy the game a lot. And i will most play it a lot.

Yes there is some technical kinks and QOL things missing. But the general design, the mechanics, the diversity in civs, the base game, kept me engaged for around 120 hours during both betas.

Honestly, the one and only thing which is worrying me at this point, is the felt lack of communication around here by development. Wishing for a community manager on coffee stain level

3 Likes

The most irritating thing for me is the melodramatics, doomsday foreshadowing end of a game that has yet to release, on the basis of opinions.

I enjoyed the beta. I think they have made a compelling game that follows the “Age of” formula with enough divergence to not call it a “rehash” of any predecessor, and not wildly divergent to consider it not of the series. For me, on this basis, I believe the game has succeeded. You are welcome to disagree, because your criteria may be different as what you were expecting, but dont speak for everyone on your own opinion.

9 Likes

Yes, being optimistic as I am.

Those who commented on the graphic options, let me tell you that they already exist and the difference is clearly noticeable, another thing is that the artistic style does not like, but against that there is no remedy.

P.S: I forgot to comment on the error of villagers not leaving the TC in the direction indicated and unable to leave individually.

Oh, I agree 100%. My intention was not to alienate anyone, neither to dismiss the person’s opinion about the game.

Every constructive criticism is valuable. Even though I like AoE4 overall, I have my own share of criticism about it.

I know the game is not as good as it could be. About how good it should be, I think that’s a bit hard to define. People expect a lot from this game, it’s hard to tell how much of that is truly feasible.

Not being as good as it could doesn’t mean mean it’s bad either. I’ll take a “disappointing” game that brings me enough joy anytime.

I personally think it’s too much to expect AoE4 to be the masterpiece to unify the fragmented community and bring RTS to a new golden age. Out of nowhere. 10 years after the last instalment in the series, which was not (commercially) successful.

This doesn’t mean we have to settle with mediocrity, of course.

I think AoE4 right now provides a foundation to what can become a great game. There is a lot of work to be done, but it’s not a dead cause, imo.

I welcome everyone to bring their feedback to improve the game, or to express why AoE4 is a disappointment for them. But blaming people that like the game for one’s personal disappointments won’t lead to anything constructive.

7 Likes

Hey! I have an opinion too!

In the grand scheme of things, AoE IV is shaping up to be an “IGN 7/10” meme game. Something that is fun, playable, stable but otherwise forgettable. That’s my feeling of the current status of this game after playing both the closed beta and stress test.

I still pre-ordered because in this day and age, we don’t get a lot of acceptable RTS games, much less from a franchise I love like AoE.

Is it groundbreaking and reinventing the RTS genre? Nah. Is it going to achieve cult status like AoE II? Probably not. Will it scratch my itch for a few years until something better shows up? Sure.

6 Likes

Yes, they had some bugs or balance issues, but they weren’t missing any features. Patrol, full custom hotkeys, go to barracks, UI selection panel etc, everything was there from day 1.

We should totally have a forum post guessing the ign rating. Would be fun.

Bragging rights.

4 Likes