How I fixed Crashes and Improved Performance For Age of Empires 2 Definitive

I wrote a detailed post how I was able to fix crashes and improved my benchmark score by 50%

5 Likes

I would be interested if you have any tips for the common disconnect issue. Despite having stable connection dropping after literally always about 4:30 game time. As itā€™s only happening when connecting to wifi and not to LTE Iā€™m assuming it might have something to do with my router or wifi connection rather than my drivers (I donā€™t have problems with HD/voobly/other games like dota or lol). Is something resetting itself after that timeframe? Iā€™ve heard of mini drops that seem to be enough to kick you out, but no idea what to do if thats the case or if its just a bug.

Sorry for the long text but you seem like you might know or be able to find out some tech details.

https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/disconnect-after-few-minutes-playing-multiplayer-problem-persists-after-update/61127/191

It keeps happening to me too and itā€™s so annoying, more than half hour into ranked game closes with no error message and I lose points for no reason.

Your issue sounds like this one, didnt read it all, maybe they have a solution for you:

So many questions to askā€¦ I 'll also draw solutions when possible
I have a question:
How do you connect to the Wifi ? External wifi card or integrated wifi card
If you use an external wifi card make sure to plug it in a different port (avoid usb 3 for wifi cards, mouse, keyboard)

Does your adapter have a sleep mode enabled with 5 mins timer? follow these steps to disable it:

Step1
Click ā€œStartā€ in the lower-left corner of the desktop.

Step2
Right-click ā€œComputer,ā€ then click ā€œManage.ā€

Step3
Click ā€œDevice Manager.ā€

Step4
Double-click the network adapter for which sleep mode is to be disabled.

Step5
Click the ā€œAdvancedā€ tab.

Step6
Click ā€œSleep Modeā€ or ā€œPower Settingsā€ or ā€œGreen LAN,ā€ depending on the model of your network adapter. Some network adapters do not have a sleep mode or equivalent setting.

Step7
Click ā€œDisabledā€ under ā€œValue.ā€

Step7
Go to Power Management Tab and uncheck ā€œAllow the computer to turn off this deviceā€ (Screenshot by Lightshot)

Step8
Click ā€œOKā€ to save and apply the settings.

Do you have High Power plan enabled or not? Find the instruction in the link i shared in this post to enable it.

Anyways itā€™s late here and i canā€™t squeeze my brain anymore please reply back to me if you require more suggestions and iā€™ll help you further.

Btw you can make it easy for yourself by buying an external wifi card for $5 and problem solved.

Good luck with this

1 Like

Thank you for your help, I will try out those tips.

Edit: First test: Disconnect not after 4:30 but this time after 9 minutes. Had changed the power settings etc. in the network adapter. Using integrated wifi card on laptop. Didnā€™t try high power plan enabled yet.
Second test: with high power plan no disconnect at all (1 game). Will try further the next days when I have time if I was just lucky or if it will stay like this.

1 Like

Bad english and starting out with a regular HDD, very sucpicious and sounds like spam of your ad-filled website.

1 Like

No offence taken brother! Whatever bad things are going on in your life I hope they are fixed by this year 2020.

Have a happy holidays brother

1 Like

I bought the game on the first day and havenā€™t had a single crash or disconnection so far. I have a four year old desktop without things like camera, bluetooth or battery optimizations etc and my power setting already was on ā€˜performanceā€™. It has 250GB SSD, 8 GB RAM and a GTX750 GPU that is below minimum requirements because of only 1 GB VRAM, so I couldnā€™t participate in the beta. But the game runs smoothly and I have a benchmark just below 1100 on high settings (a few fancy graphic effects disabled though). This proves that you donā€™t need expensive and brand new hardware to run this game without problems, and it confirms the main points of the article: that with an SDD and a few good settings and updated drivers the game can run without crashing.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the topic, Iā€™m sure that it will be of great help! If anyone is interested, a month ago Iā€™ve also made a topic with some tips for dealing with game issues. Simple things like defragmentating drives seemed to be of great help to many people.