How to move on from V&V

It would be nice. If I ever finish my Caucasus architecture sketches (need to find the time), I’ll post them on here and probably also send them FE’s way too.

2 Likes

Honestly I just come here to rant, but I agree so much…

• The main issue with the DLC (not talking about the patch) is the price. 13 euros!!! Even with inflation, that’s burglary! I don’t have a problem with a campaign DLC, nor with including custom campaigns in the main game, but this price!

• Pathing! WHY? Please, just, why?

• Still no feedback, communication or apologies about Return of Rome… That is so absurd.

• Chat filter. What if, crazy idea, they tried to treat people like adults?

• Speaking of which, I must say I ‘dislike’ (let’s moderate our words ourselves) everything in their communication. Here is a snippet:

We’ve got some big surprises still waiting for you along these lines and they’ll take their own form as we continue to work on entertaining you in new ways, so to the extent that you enjoy and support Victors and Vanquished, we fully intend to keep Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition like a year-long Christmas tree with the presents piled high (without getting clothes from Grandma – cool toys only).

but I could honestly have taken anything. Is it just me, or is it tiring being talked to like a five years old (I am disproportionally too nice, 5-years old me would have despised anyone talking to me like that). Good, you tell us about surprises. Nice! Genuinely. But most of us are actually adults.

• Now I will conclude saying one nice thing: they make the UI better (thinking of drop-off button, etc.), which is nice to see, and there are improvements to CaptureAge. Moreover, as I said, more theme-focused DLCs are a good idea… as long as the prices match the content. And I genuinely think the scenarios in V&V are great, but it is only five new scenarios (which I have not played yet).
5 Likes

Quite a few negative reviews are in Chinese (8% positive, and those few positives are either really negative comments, or “bad but I just want to support the devs” as quite a few people here do), and most Chinese players would not come to this forum.

Why? Because Chinese players are so accustomed to those ###tty cashgrab attempts from companies that nobody would sugarcoat them or have illusions of “they may be of good intentions”.

Let me give you authentic ones:

• Out of the 15 existing ones, very few are really “polished”. The DLC adds zero new model. Not even the heroes, or mounted samurai.
  • The few new ones are of poorer quality,
  • Voice acting is very plain. Now where do most of the funds go to since they charge us the same price as a div DLC with new voiced units as well as fully voiced campaigns?
  • Most of the cutscenes are reused. Even the scenario selection menu is reused.
  • Localization is even worse.
5 Likes

next time when you’re back civ count is at 70

I didn’t call for people to do this.
I said I was going to leave a bad review because I am unhappy with it
Nowhere did I tell others to do anything

and yes, I knew what it was, I knew it is bad, that’s why I leave a bad review, that’s what reviews are for

but I agree that the reviews might shift to be more positive with time, who knows. I could only include the data I have at hand

then it will be a quick visit. tbf in 6 months to a year we will get at most 2-3 new civs, so not much will change in this regard

1 Like

@Darkness01101 I know personally I was ready to give V&V a chance. I’d moved on from the “campaign focused”. All the other stuff about the over-hyping of the Aoe3 and AOM stuff for New Year New Age, the fact that upcoming PUP content was being shown when demo-ing V&V, the ethics of upcycling content, etc, I was willing to look past…

And then it came out all the scenarios are voiced by the same guy, bugs that were in the original mods were still present, Byzantines in Vortigern weren’t updated to be Romans, Fetih a supposedly new scenario, is just the upcycled Constantine XI but you play the turks, there are zero new assets added.

Oh and the xbox people can’t play the DLC cause it wrongly says they haven’t purchased.

IDK, I can’t speak for everyone, but it all re-broke me.

I think V&V is most accurately described as circular…for every corner seems to have been cut making it.

6 Likes

that’s a beautiful sentence

3 Likes

Sorry about that. I edited my post

I won’t be able to try much of V&V for a bit yet, but I hope I enjoy it. I also don’t have the history you and others do with these scenarios, so I’m thinking I’ll be fine for the most part

3 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one who’s noticed. I’ve felt that all their announcements, livestreams and social media posts are just… cringy. Like they think their game is played by children, when the reality is that most AoE players are probably 30+ year old parents, or at least the vast majority are 20+. And let’s not kid ourselves, children don’t play RTS games (or extremely few do), so why appeal to them?

I mean, from the way they type, to the way they act during livestreams, and… The damn villager musicians or whatever they’re called. It’s like they forgot this game deals with historical events where hundreds of thousands died. Hell, even in-game you commit war crimes by murdering vills. Doesn’t mean the game has to be dark because it deals with heavy stuff, just that it needs some self-respect.

Someone has to tell their social media manager to use a different language, because all of this, combined with the lackluster reveals and this terrible DLC feels like we’re being mocked.

8 Likes

I’d like to add a point 5.5: pay more attention to regional pricing and FIX it when something is messed up, like it was done back in AOE3DE release ✨ Pre-Order Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition NOW; Play it on October 15! - #21 by GMEvangelos
Right now, counting both AOE 2 and 3 DE, there are 5 DLC which cost 10 dollars, but in some regions some has the correct regional price from that time and other are 50% above that. For example, DotD and The African Royal were released almost at the same time, yet DotD is R$20,00 and TAR is R$29,99.
Then, TMR in some regions the DLC cost X on Windows Store and 2X on Steam. They know that and nothing happened. The Mountains Royals is more expensive than base game - #7 by aocashleylynn
For comparison, on Steam / Winsdows Store RoR costs R$27,00 / 27,00, TMR is R$54,95 / 27,00 and V&V is R$31,99 /31,99.

9 Likes

Same. I was about to adress this in my last comment but held back because this is not directly game-related.

Sounds like nice-guy, fake intimacy intended to lure people into believing they’re not only buying a game but making friends. To sum it up, sounds like marketing. It is annoying and even creepy but works really well. I believe that this type of communication is the reason why some people become unable to criticize the game because in doing so they would be hurting their friends’ feelings.

Also, funny how the game is following this path too. We’ve seen characters in their teens (Babur, Ismail), sitcom like couple drama (Tamar) and more. Just compare it to the somber tone of Attila and Montezuma.

This is a trend I would like to see ditched for good. Just do like they did a few years ago with Ivaylo, Zizka etc.

6 Likes

100% correct aoc was the best expansion in terms of concept and execution it was solid may i make the assumption that it was so good because it happened before 2000

4 Likes

Well, seeing just how many people defend this DLC and say they bought it “to support the devs” or because they want the creator to be paid for his hard work (that he did for free 2 years ago), you’re most likely right. Lots of arguments that appeal to emotion coming from the consoomers…

4 Likes

Mankind will never reach 90s level again right?

1 Like

I didn’t see them apologize for what they did to AoE DE either, so well… :thinking:
Guess just like a break up relationship, that’s how we move on. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Honestly once they started splitting civs like the Slavs, they needed to get on beat and rename the Slavs. The same with the unique castle theme, don’t make a couple of unique castles then leave the rest out. Like a rework would have been nicer had they finished it with the architecture set. The Mountains Royals should have been a new architecture. Also if they had redone AoE again lol, they should have at least rescaled the units to AoE2 size. It’s just been LAZY cashgrabs from felllow community members.

I think its funny that the guy who created the Aegideus campaign did a wonderful job with I think Ai voicing and level design.

5 Likes

They weren’t wrong when they said this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/1953f9t/microsoft_calls_age_of_empires_ii_players_the/

We didn’t understand the context. They meant they can rob the players with half baked content in any manner and the players still wouldn’t complain.

7 Likes

The standard kept falling,
In LotW new castles were introduced but they never completed.
In DotD they experimented with going beyond 5 per architecture set rule.
In DoI they did not fix Indian set with ship sails, king, user interface or trade carts and reused horse models to create the few heroes that they made.
In RoR they just made a mod with blurrier graphics and barely any new graphics.
In tMR they created almost no extra graphics for scenario editor and went to 8 civs with same graphics.
In Icon DLC it was indeed La Hire’s dry humour what can I say.
And now we have VaV with no new graphics, reused scenarios with not even bare minimum effort.

13 Likes

From a retrospect, sometimes I do feel the true omen of the beginning of this whole downhill was when they started to make really cringe posts and streams.

I remember the first livestream after AOE3DE where they just showed images and video clips of upcoming DLCs and upcoming-upcoming DLCs for several games. And people were happy. It’s not that they couldn’t do something like this.

But after that came the abomination called 25th anniversary.
Then this.

It almost synchronized with the diminishing of communication.

What happened?

9 Likes

Share them here as well?

1 Like