[Hub] Civilization Concepts

What a coincidence. Montenegro means Capotztictepetl in Nahuatl, which means black mountain.
Small world.

2 Likes

well latin languages, comes from “mons nigris” in latin
And actually a lot of this smaller countries have kept their kinda unspecific names, so it’s nothing special with montenegro.

montecarlo
san marino
liechtenstein
luxembourg

Nothing special with montenegro.

It’s actually more special that we have a lot of national states cause this wasn’t even a thing before the 18th century.

Yeah but guess what…?

Montenegro citizens call themselves Црногорци, and call Montenegro, Црна Гора, which means black mountain in Serbian.

After Црна Гора got split from Serbia in 2006.
It adopted the name Montenegro for foreign use.

3 Likes

That’s fair but your original argument still makes no sense.

We “germans” also heve several different names we are called in different countries. And completely different to how we call ourselves.
AFAIk it’s also so for a lot of other states like finland, china, netherlands…

So it makes for me even more sense now to see montenegrians as their own national identity…

1 Like

Yeah that’s true, could have been formulated a bit better.
But if you googled Црна Гора, montenegro would pop up :smiley:

2 Likes

But you say, they don’t call themselves that…
So, what is your argument actually? You don’t have a point here, cause you only use a reference they made for foreigners to use as they are called this for ages. But they call themsevles different, so clearly they have a destinct feeling of their own identity.

Serbs were also called “Yugoslavs” for a long time, does it mean they didn’t had their serbian identity during this?

Oh my god, for fuc* sake.

Montenegrins call themselves Црногорци, which is a Serbian word. They use Serbian names and surnames and speak Serbian language.

They took Italian word Montenegro which is more recognisable internationally and easier for foreigners to remember etc.

Montenegro as a word is just for foreign use.

2 Likes

I don’t get what’s your point here?

Did i miss something?

1 Like

Ok, this is so off topic now, how about everyone just stops, or moves this somewhere else? I’m just aware that the more this goes on, the closer the mods are to closing the topic, and the more heated and volatile the conversation can become. I’m not saying anything regarding the actual arguments and whether they should be talked about, merely that this isn’t the place to do so.

3 Likes

Whatever you say chief.

2 Likes

After reading a lot of civs, I would like to give a few impressions what I would like to be generally improved.

A) I would like to have a civ overview in the beginning. Something that tells what your perception of the civ/culture is. I think this would also help a lot of people to structurize their thoughts.

B) Instead of telling what a civ doesn’t have, please tell what the civ DOES have (or even both what it has and what not). It’s way easier to comprehend. Yes it is more to write and it needs a kind of structure, but you make less mistakes, you again get a better structural understanding of your own civ perception and if you do it well you make it easier for others to understand.

Lastly, and this is just a personal thing - I would like to see more elaborated civ designs. After now reading like 60 civ designs I am kind of tired of designs that oly consist of technical civ design. Maybe you have historic background and so on, but nobody can see it if you don’t share it.

There are also some civ designs which are seemingly already available as mods. Can the people who made the mods please contact me. Then we can look for a way to make the mods easily accessable via this thread.

2 Likes

To a point, I get what you’re saying but some civs are defined hard by what they don’t get.

Spanish are definitely shaped big time by their lack of crossbow. Turks are defined by NOT having pikes and ESkirms. Burmese are a civ who lives to work around lacking Castle Age archer armor.

Honestly, a strategy section at the end is a good place to talk about what your civ should/could do in situations. But sometimes including an easier to read TLDR version of the tech tree can paint the basic picture and most often, it’s a lot shorter and more readable to list the techs a civ doesn’t have instead of what it does.

I’m not sure what you mean about elaborated? A lot of people get very elaborate in their history, bonus justification and what not.

1 Like

I personally am a fan of the people who set up something showing the actual techtree with icons.

A civ overview is important, although IMO either at the beginning or the end is fine. I like putting it after to put the bonuses in context, rather than before where it might refer to bonuses or units whose functions aren’t explained until later.

I agree. This is also how the game defines tech trees - it assumes a civ gets every tech/unit unless specifically disabled.

That would be good, but is also the highest effort. I understand a civ well enough from a missing techs list, but I agree a visual techtree is the gold standard.

I will announce that I want to make a poll, starting on August 1st until Start of September to vote the best Civ design in the forum.

I will only allow one Civ proposal per Member and that Civ proposal must at least have 3 of the 4 categoric properties: Artwork, Historic Background, Campaign Idea and Civ Design. Or 2 of the 4 and something else that can be seen as “replacement” for a third.

These rules are strict, as cause of the time consumption to read a civ proposal I can only demand that much from the other forum members.

btw: The newest civ proposals including my own little creative play are included.

1 Like

Not everyone is an artist. Winning a contest based on other’s art can be seen as a form of plagiarism if not careful.

First, I don’t demand that it has to be own artwork. I believe actually linking other people’s artwork (in an appropriate way) is often even better.

Second I demand only 2 (if it has another feature that can replace one of the given categories) or 3 of the 4 categories to be satisfied. So it is perfectly viable to submit a civ proposal that doesn’t contain any artwork.

A balanced tech tree should be the priority rest is just icing on the cake.

Things like historical character for the campaign history writeup uu refpics civi jingle are just a google search away.

1 Like

I like my cake with icing.

1 Like