If you could include new mechanics, features or functions in AOE-3, what would you implement?

dejame adivinar trafalgar otra vez? en ese caso demosle a los españoles “el glorioso” que siendo solo un barco derroto a varios barcos ingleses en 4 ocaciones xd

2 Likes
1 Like

Very nice ideas here!
Read a few of them and are very interesting and would definitely improve the game!

Playing more AOE4 I feel that it would be needed to add a speed bonus on units while attacking or being queued on attack move/ground.

I would change the shipment system to being optional or change it to the Ottomans Imperial Council Vizier Points, or simply remove this system from the game. I know this is a bit controversial but I think it would be easier for newcomers and AOE 2/4 players to play it.

Other would be change the trading post experience/bonus/military production to a resource exchange one. I know there is a late resource exchange but it would be great being able to trading with allies and natives

A hero explorer rework for all civs like a mix of the general/ El padre of US/Mexico and the khan/mehter of Mongols/Ottomans in AOE 4 respectively.

1 Like

Perhaps as an alternate game mode, but not as a replacement for the current features of the game.

That’s why I gave you a heart. XD

Just a “bit controversial”? It’s an awful idea to remove the card system (it’s up there with conducting a land war in Asia or getting involved with a Sicilian when death is on the line), and virtually no one supports it. It’s a core mechanic and the most defining characteristic of AOE3. Such a change would not attract AOE2 players (they made their minds up over a decade ago), would not attract AOE4 players (AOE4 is the hot new thing), and would cause a max exodus of AOE3 players, dooming the game.

Even trying to implement a balanced mode where there are no cards (your “optional” suggestion) would require completely remaking the game, consuming massive amounts of dev resources that could go to balance changes, new maps, and new civs, all of which would actually expand the player base. Look how much tycoon and empire wars modes are played (almost never), and these were much more popular ideas with the players (folks have been asking for an economic victory type for years).

And as far as trade goes, you want to replace the simple and easy to understand trade and natives system (build a tp, get the benefits) with the onerous, obnoxious trade system from AOE2. Golly, why wouldn’t I want to replace a nice, extant mechanic that’s deeply important to several civs, requiring complete overhauls, with a micro-intensive, easily raided, pop-consuming, map-cluttering trade system?

The players I know who came over from AOE4 came over because it was different than the soulless husk of a game that is AOE2 v2. And most AOE2 players view the game as the greatest that was, is, or ever will be, and won’t stop playing it exclusively until the heat death of the universe. If you want a game of AOE3 with no cards, set up a custom lobby and play with the approximately three other people who want this.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking, since there are a lot of Cards that are underutilised in this game, how about a mode where you pick a civ and receive a Random deck? Kind of like Arena in Hearthstone, for those that played or currently play the game.

1 Like

Just tell me how you would do it if there are up to 25 civs, 5+ game modes, 25 cards per deck, unlimited deck build, and so on!

Why do you think devs need to tweak a bunch of cards every patch?

Would not be easier for devs to develop an alternate mode with established bonuses per civ and be easier to understand by the players?

Proposed to be as an alternate mode with a dropdown menu on game settings by the way!

Hardly. The cards are the civ bonuses. There would need to be 22 civs that would need to be completely redesigned to compensate (tons of bonuses would be needed to make the game even feel vaguely the same), while still requiring the same rate of balance changes as they are 22 asymmetric civs.

The reason so many adjustments are constantly needed is because of the deliberately asymmetric design. Turning one dial just exposes another. Removing cards would remove all that makes AOE3 unique without fixing anything.

If you are playing AOE3, then you need to accept that the 22 civs are asymmetric and that something will be unbalanced at all times. If the rose-colored glasses come off, it will be noted that these sort of imbalances have existed since vanilla launched; instant production French cav and opri boxes just for example. There are civs that excel at certain things far better than others. The cards are the just the mechanism in making the asymmetry work.

As far as how I would “do it”, I would continue doing exactly what the devs are doing. Frequent balance updates incrementally adjusting what is already in the game.

Because the current combo and pacing of the game has been developed for 17 years. I’d say none of them would be what the original developers initially proposed.
Like clearly 600w was designed as a lower-level alternative before you get 700w. Did anyone expect 700w+600w to become a booming option? And how would you keep that without cards?

You’re like proposing a whole new game level of tweaking at one time. After that it might be “easier” to balance but more likely you kill the game entirely and there is no worry about balancing at all.

2 Likes

Strongly disagree with you
Everything would be balanced accordingly on this “alternate classical mode”
even unique mechanics and features like revolts!

Yeah civs in AOE3 are asymmetrical, but there you have AOEIV being that too!
With a traditional AOE2 playstyle and unique bonuses and mechanics like AOE3 for each civ
So the civs are pretty asymmetrical as well!

You first need to overhaul the entire game before you talk about balancing after that. That’s already an whole new game worth of work.

US without cards has basically no uniqueness. All European civs will have shared units performing exactly the same.
So you need to pick which cards to become permanent bonus, which to become techs, which to discard. British has 6 cards that buff almost all the units they use. Swedes needs a few merc cards to complement their lacking roster. The entire German early game relies on free uhlans from cards. Which to include?
Then you need another 1 year to reach a consensus of balancing.
Then why don’t you make a new game?

2 Likes

A new feature I’d love to see is Colonial units for Euro civs.

Colonial units could either be trainable via Outpost (ala African civs and their ability to train African Outlaws from their Watchtowers) or from a special Barracks Wagon shipment (‘Colonial Garrison’) - either available as an Imperial Age tech in the Outpost/Capital.

We have all the models available in the form of Treasure Guardians, but I’d love to see these as ‘Outlaw’ units for Euro civs. Basically very late age ‘Outlaws’ (mechanically).

Colonial Looter become Colonial Rifleman
Colonial Oppressor becomes Colonial Mounted Rifleman
Colonial Gunslinger becomes Colonial Guardsman
Colonial Swashbuckler become Colonial Lieutenant

2 Likes

That seems fine to me…

Please don’t Necro topics, open a new one instead :slight_smile: