In-game chat is logging too much unnecessary information

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: 100.12.6847.0
  • PLATFORM: Steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Basically, legacy logged just fine in the chat. Every new log added in DE is unnecessary and pollutes the chat, meaning you may miss on actual useful information, and scrolling up the chat (e.g to check what treasure your opponent took, or what he may have typed to you) quickly becomes a nightmare.

Useless chat logs include:

• Logging whenever the “attack move” hotkey is hit. We know we hit it, we don’t have to be reminded in the chat

• Whenever an ability hotkey is hit. Same thing, I don’t need to be notified that I’m about to crackshoot a treasure guardian, that’s precisely what I’m trying to do.

• Whenever something can’t be afforded. Spamming a hotkey to queue a unit is very common at medium levels and higher, so you get to queue e.g your settler as soon as you have 100 food in the bank. Logging that we need 23, 19, 17, … extra food to afford the settler isn’t useful, it can just be temporarily prompted on screen (like on legacy).

• Whenever a shipment has already been sent, a tech cannot be researched yet, etc.

• Probably others I forgot. Please do reply in this thread if you see anything else, I’ll edit it in here.

I can understand the motivation behind this could be to help new players understand what they’re doing. But on legacy it would just prompt a message temporarily, and that did the trick just fine. Please, let us have a clean in-game chat.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Start a game.
  2. Set your settlers to food crates.
  3. Spam the “V” hotkey (for example) because you want to queue your first settler as early as possible.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

The chat should be empty, because it’s 5-10 seconds in-game, and nothing noteworthy has happened yet.

:arrow_forward: ACTUAL RESULT

The chat is polluted by dozens of useless messages.

6 Likes