Italy General Discussion

The italians on the age 4 seems quite modern, they have hussars, dragoons (with the carabiner tech) and bersaglieri.

The latter get just 1 card against the 2 of the of the pavisier, but the alpini card will make them incredibly good onestly.

The zouave is also a quite modern unit, the schiavone is more a 1600/1700 unit, but still not medioeval, and the 2 special guard units are cannons.

The architecture too seem a lot more modern in age 4 (maybe a little bit too much too…).

Really, the only thing is the fact that they get only 1 factory, but I guess that it was for balance reasons… I wouldn’t mind though if they could get a second one, like with an age 5 expensive upgrade.

I hope you are right about bersaglieri, although that would mean that they would be seen rarely… In the end they get +15% in HP, all damage and melee damage with three cards… Not counting arsenal techs of course…

1 Like

What is strong about them is their unique abilities.

By base they get:

• great speed
  • the trumpet boost both the speed and stun the enemy

But more importantly, the alpini card boost their bonus damage and more importantly:

• make the bersaglieri prioritize the units that they counter

I believe that the last one will make them quite good. On the late game, dragoons (with carabiners) and bersaglieri can work well, then throw in there some survived pavisan and buffed culverins.

They also get standard muskets and hussars, although with no special bonuses, but still those are 2 pretty modern units. I mean, when I personally pictured the Italians I thought of a way more archaic age 2.

On the countrary, the pavisans doesn’t seem that good, yes they designed quite well, but in reality they seem weak for what they cost.

Considering that the Italians won’t get villagers shipments, what card do you think that it’s worth picking up for the age 1?

Will it be worth to get the explorer and treasure cards? May Italy be the first European civ that actually use the explorer card?

Or it’ll be simply the TP card and some resources crates?

I would say that merchant republics is a must have if there are TP, or royal houses…
I think that marco polo voyage is another really nice card, not only let you see all map, so to beeline to the treasures you want, but in the long term will let you also see where the enemy is going for hunts i think…
The lombard one seems also nice, but probably that early you wouldn’t have res to invest, so it might not be worthy for 1v1…
Another nice one would be florentine football, mostly because it increase the speed of vills, which make them reach faster the natural resource source to gather, on top of increasing vlls hp, so it would be harder to lose them by raid…
Another very important card is gonna be advanced politicians, but only if you want FF… Not that they gain anything special in age 3 though, just falconets, and it is the moment that pavisers could reach their max potential, but might be worthy to get access to more cards…
Personally i don’t see the hero card super nice, but it is definitely nice that it increase speed on top of hp and damage

2 Likes

TP card got moved to age 2 I think, I’d say capitalism and advanced politicians are probably the best cards. Alternatively the sheep and homestead wagon card is very underrated. Used it a lot with portugal who also lack vill cards and it provides a ton of food by the time you hit fortress, food that can be invested into the lombards.

2 Likes

Yeah on that I probably agree, it’s just so flexible.

This one seems a bit OP…

Mmm I don’t that it’s that good. If I want a lombard shipment I’ll go for the age 2 one with 700 coins in it, instead of the team one. The teammates also won’t get to use that much, since they get just 1 unupgraded lombard and won’t have much resources to invest in it early on…

Yeah I forgot about that…

It’s a good card, but also consider that you’ll probably also research early on the 2 market vills upgrades, so do you really need more health? The extra speed is useful though.

That’s a bit niche… useful but you use them only with certain builds. Consider that you don’t always want to age up fast, since you want also to have resources when you hit the new age.

Although, how that card works with the logistitian in the age 2. That age up gives you an free tech at the arsenal (with an arsenal wagon) does the advanced age up give you 2 free techs? Because in that case it becomes 2 free vills.

Wait, does the hero card increase the movement speed too? I thought it increases the treasure gathering only.

By the way, I was it in action, and it’s not that immediate, I thought it would be something more fast. Yes you can still the treasure, or avoid being stolen, but it’s not a big advantage.

The marco polo card instead is way more important, you may get less treasures, but you get more resources. Maybe the extra resources effect should be transferred to the explorer card, since just the map reveal card alone seems quite strong.

No, it’s in the age 1, it’s the maritime republics card, the last time I saw it still in age 1.

Mmm… yeah since you don’t have vill cards it maybe he good to get free resources but it’s a long term investment, you don’t get value in the short term.

Mmm I believe that it’s not that worth for the Italians. Yeah you can get a free vill with the tech, but the strength of italians cam from already have good food eco thanks to the free vills and early techs, so I don’t see it that necessary for the Italians.

So basically for the age 1 you’ll standard deck will probably have TP and marco polo cards, with either crates of resources or the advanced age up or capitalism (the latter for super long games).

I’m going to post the screenshots of all italians UUs so that you can compare them to the standard version of them, here are the stats of all italians UUs.

Architect

Pavisier

(with the different stances)

Galeass

Papal Guard

Schiavone

Papal Lancer

(with charge attack)

Papal Zouave

Papal Bombard

Bersagliere

Carabiniere

Imperial Galilean Mortars

(Royal Guard Mortar)

Spingard

(Royal Guard Culverin)

I wasn’t able to find the charge stats for papal guard, schivoni, zouave and papal bombard, but overall I think that it’s a pretty complete picture.

You can use the wiki to search the standard units and compare them.

3 Likes

It’s a bit weird seeing Bersaglieri in the same faction as Papal Guards. I’d expect “Italian Wars” could be about Porta Pia: Italians vs italians?

2 Likes

The Italians wars are more of an Habsburg vs French conflict, situated in Italy.

2 Likes

Do you know what the abilities are on the galeass? Not seen anyone use either of the new boats yet.

1 Like

No, the Italian wars were a group of conflicts between the 1400/1500 centuries that were fought between the kingdom of France, the Spain monarchy and the HRE commanded by the hasburgs, the Republic of Venice, the papal state, and other various smaller Italians and german states, that saw Italy as the battleground to resolve internal disputes.

As for the bersaglieri problem, it’s enaugh to set the age 3 as the maximum age limit.

Not really, but from the stats posted above we can immagine that:

• it’ll attack broadside like other ships
  • it’ll be slower
  • it’ll have a strong powerful “frontal broadside” attack, maybe similar to the DaVinci tank
  • it’ll be able to ram other ships

Then on water they’ll have access to the caravel, the galeass, the monitor and the battleship, not sure on the frigate.

Anyway, in my personal opinion, they should have give the galley to the Italians and maltese instead of the caravel. I know that it would have been shared with the ottomans, and that it’s already their water UU, but it was the ships used by all mediterranean powers, and it would have been enough to give some ottoman card or tech to make their galley more unique.

2 Likes

thanks, I think malta have the galley don’t they? Their unique ship is the order galley which is higher hp and gets promotions from defeating ships I think.

1 Like

Yeah, it think that you are right now that you mention it, but still, they should have given the galley to the Italians too, at least through HC cards.

Changing subject a bit, how crazy strong they are the schiavoni for having 20 ranged damage and 24 melee attack. Damn those are skirms, yeah mercenary skirms but still…

On another note, I hoped that the Italians had more stratdiots cards, instead they have like 2 stratdiots in age 2 and some other in age 3, considering how much they fought during the Italian wars for Venice I thought that you would have more than that.

1 Like

They do look good, probably more than 1 pop though I guess? I’m most looking forward to trying those skirms which counter other skirms, they’ll be great fun vs people spamming skirm/goon with dutch/france/germany etc.

I hope so…

Onestly with such stats they counter everything…

1 Like

About the Italian cards distributed in the respective ages, there are some that didn’t convince me…

• The gondola card that gives you a fishing ships for each tech alongside a vill.

This one can be shipped in the age 3, but I feel that’s too late, both because by that time you’ll already have researched most techs, and because it’s too late for training fishing ships by that time.

Would it be OP in the age 2? Maybe the HC could have you exchange fishing ships for vills, or have you get a fishing ship each 2 techs instead of 1.

• The heavy shields and steel bolts cards for the pavisier.

From what I understand, the pavisiers don’t get the guard and imp upgrades (what a pity…) but since Italians don’t get skirms until the age 4, in the age 3 you’ll still be using pavisiers.

These 2 cards should help you in that direction at least, but the pavisiers are still an archaic unit, and they seem quite underwhelming in the age 2.

So what if steel bolts are moved to the age 2, so that you can improve your unit more gradually.

I also believe that the Italians should have a card that transform the pavisiers into bersaglieri or musketeers for the super late game. This might be a tech locked behind an high cost in age 4 at the basilica, along the carabiners card.

You seems to be referring to Risorgimento, not italian wars, where papal armies and sardinian armies, and later italian ones, fought that papal states

Mind you, those are already guard level (+50%), so not that special, but at least they shadow tech, and don’t have to buy their upgrade, also they don’t get special charged attack like zuaves do with a card, and zuaves are agruably better for versatility…

1 Like

Mmm I don’t know if those are at the guard level, I didn’t see upgrades for those units, maybe just HC cards.

And the schiavoni should get a charge attack too? Am I wrong?