I've changed my mind about auto-queue

I’m all for a villager auto que. Nothing to do with skill or any of that.
Having to always que a few villagers gets tedious. Its not needed.

5 Likes

Imagine a popular RTS with auto-queue

now imagine the devs say they are adding a new mechanic to add more skill to the game:
a big red button in the Capital that you have to click every 20 seconds or else x resources get deleted periodically

now imagine the reaction of the playerbase

omegalul

7 Likes

Sorry to resurge with this topic. I know it’s controversial, but I’m completely in favor of having this feature in the game. I’m trying to bring some friends to Age 4, but one of the things that those who is starting out complain about is precisely carrying out repetitive activities that demand high APM and that have no relation to the strategy and decision-making itself. In my opinion, the main core of RTS is decision-making on how to manage your economy, technology and troops, as well as your ability to control troops. I think that the feature of automatically producing villagers would attract new players.

This was the main complaint of my friends who tried tge game. They liked a lot, but they got bored to always have to remember to click on the hotkey and produce villagers

1 Like

I think the only way it will happen is if the developers just put it in and see what happens. I suspect it won’t be a big deal.

Its like the new simplfied control scheme for Street Fighter 6. If they consulted the community first it would have been shot down right away with apocalyptic warnings that it would destroy the game. But they just went for it and Street Fighter 6 seems to have been tremendously successful.

And an auto queue is nowhere near as radical as SF6’s new control scheme.

1 Like

its ok for it to exist in theory but it has to be weaker than manual input would’ve been, thats where aom screwed up, aom made it the best approach and had negative effect because of that, not because it existed but because it made manual input the less efficient of the 2 approaches

1 Like

I understood, but I think of this feature as a quality of life improvement, not a game changer. It’s like reseeding farms.

The player will continue to have to deal with decisions, not leaving the village idle, managing resources and handling troops. In other words, the automatic queue will not make the player better, it will only automate a function that is repetitive and time consuming.

1 Like

all is cool, just make sure the manual input is still the only no tc idle time solution, can be done by having tc wait a second or 2 before queueing the next vill imo, instead of it instantly queueing the next one as one is completed

1 Like

Great suggestion, @KG19991380 . :clap:

I would start with Custom Games and see what happens next.

2 Likes

but the automatic queue only for villagers is enough

Beasty has any penalty icon so that he is forced to use the automatic queue; My proposal is that the automatic queue is active for a range of 3 minutes and then you must activate it again (this way with the practical you will no longer need to use it)

1 Like

I don’t understand people who are against auto queue. The game isn’t about who is the best robot. The game is about who has best strategies and creativity on battlefield. Only old school gold league gamers are against it because they would feel like they lose advantage of having to learn it even though it wouldn’t make them worse or better.

The disadvantage of auto queue is that it could queue units that you don’t want to queue. So a queue on military could be a disadvantage for example and pro would probably turn it off. But if it’s something you need produce constantly, there no reason as a battle general you can’t just go meet the tc manager and tell him to produce non stop without needing you to babysit him. The order is clear. Auto queue IS a command and it make sense. As long you can toggle it on and off.

We already have auto queue in game for the military school and no one is crying because of it. Military school is no different from TC since you need to produce constantly if you want be optimal.

As if auto queue would make beasty a better or worse player. I don’t think he cares personally about it, i dont think it would affect him.

This would completely defeat the point of auto queue.

Honestly, what people are scared off? Having newer player beat them?

1 Like

Imagine if every 3 minutes the villagers went on a strike and then you had to remind them to work. Just because.

I agree, also in another thread I explained that the automatic queue can be a disadvantage, since the automatic queue (as it does in console) can only put 1 single villager in queue

I have been in favor of Automatic Queue since the game came out, my proposals are to persuade them to implement it, and to accept it; It is true that at a higher level the automatic queue can be a disadvantage, and if it can be activated there should not be any problem if someone uses it

I don’t remember how AOM does it, but in Empire Erth II the way it did it had a certain advantage since the queue that you gave before activating it was repeated in cycles.

For example, I put in the English barracks: Spearman; spearman; man of arms; and then I activate the automatic queue, in Empire Erth II, that cycle will repeat and that can be very convenient.

My proposal is that the queue puts a single unit of each type in queue and activates it with Ctrl + click on each unit

https://youtu.be/Lq2tXofg8lw?si=YDYIvvP8muysD5x-

Wait, there is actually pro player that care about auto queue?

1 Like

Idont think pro players care about it. They have a high skill to mangement their economy and micro their army.

This is the feature that impacts most new players and would be very welcome to them.

If we could at least put it in the queue, even without having the resources, it would help new players a lot. I’m specifically talking about villagers, but I think it applies to other buildings as well.

This way we could put several things in the queue, including technologies, which would be built and researched as we had resources. This would help beginner players to focus their attention on the economy and battles.

Certainly, this way of playing has disadvantages, and pro players may continue to do things manually.

It would be like a car race game, where driving in manual mode is always more advantageous than in automatic mode.

1 Like

The goal IS to be convenient.

I don’t think they need to add it to military yet as it would be a lot of works for devs but they c
should add it to TC for sure.

They need add a new button on the TC that toggle on and off in the same way military school toggle.

So there would he 2 villagers buttons the normal one and the toggle.

1 Like

Automatic queue only for villagers is simple, the console game makes it similar to aom, there is a key on the TC that activates it, if there are 2 TCs you will see that the automatic queue produces 2 villagers at a time

imagen

My suggestion is to put the automatic queue in the secondary panel, something similar to the Mongol secondary panel

and I would do it in the same way that the secondary panel works

The following image is how the Mongol secondary panel would be arranged

I agree that it be activated, just like the military school does, because if you select all the military schools, with a single click it will produce a unit in each of the buildings, to that I would add my suggestion of putting the automatic queue, in the secondary panel