Japanese translation Issue

When Season One started, some Japanese translation had changed. Some got better, but others got worse. I realized that all suggestions in this discussion applied.

(Japanese translation problems)

A lot of them are an improvement. However, some are definitely unsuitable.

(Legend: [English]: [Current Japanese] → [Suggested Japanese])

Siege Works: 攻囲兵器職人→攻囲兵器製造技術

Siege Workshop: 攻囲兵器職人→攻囲兵器工房

First of all current Japanese name of Siege Workshop and Siege Works are both 攻囲兵器職人”(siege workman)”. The name implies a person who makes a siege weapon. Also, dev seems to have confused the suggestion. It’s just about “Siege Works” not about “Siege Workshop.” Anyway, it must be changed. I think the translation of “Siege Works” should be 攻囲兵器製造技術”(technology of siege production)” rather than 攻囲兵器職人”(siege workman)”.

By the way, the spell of “攻囲兵器” is not popular. It might be good idea to change into “攻城兵器”. The number of Google searches of “攻囲兵器” is about 5,820, and those of “攻城兵器” is about 1,030,000. But it doesn’t make a difference. Maybe translators avoided “攻城兵器” because the kanji implies it is specialized to offence a castle specifically( however, they are same meaning).

Imperial Academy: 翰林院 → 帝国アカデミー

Barbican of the Sun: 甕城 → 太陽の楼門

Astronomical Clocktower: 水運儀象台 → 天文時計塔

Great Wall Gatehouse: 長城関 → 万里の長城の守衛所, 万里の長城の関所

Spirit Way: 皇帝陵 → 魂の道

Enclave of the Emperor: 内城 → 皇帝の包領

I totally disagree with these names of Chinese landmarks and wonder. A regular Japanese person not only doesn’t know these names, they wouldn’t even know how to pronounce them. They can’t imagine what they are from the names, and can’t tell the difference. Even if these spells are historically correct, they ruin the game play.

Professional Scouts: 職業斥候 →プロの斥候

職業斥候”(?Occupation Scout)” looks weird as Japanese. Perhaps an older expression would be appropriate.

Double broadax:両刃まさかり→ダブルブロードアックス, 両刃斧

There was no hit in Google searches of “両刃まさかり” as one word. That is not only strange, but also um… very unattractive. I think ダブルブロードアックス was fine. Or maybe 両刃斧 is a good choice. Don’t do 両刃まさかり.

Palace Guard:禁軍→近衛兵

I feel 禁軍 is too specific and uncommon name. 宮廷警護兵(previous one) is also uncommon. 近衛兵 is little more popular than 禁軍, and more close to the original name in meaning.

All-Seeing Eye: 全能の目→千里眼

I think the previous translation was excellent. 全能の目means “the eye of the almighty.”

Navigator Lookout : (航海)見張り→見張り

Extra Hammocks: 追加ハンモック→ハンモックの追加

Extra Ballista: 追加弩砲→弩砲の追加

Extra Materials: 備蓄資材→ 資材の備蓄

I think these are more natural expressions.

TBH, when I touched the PUP, I thought “Oh, they used Google translation or something because it is not public update yet.” I have no idea about how close the current translation is to the original text. I don’t know if other changes are appropriate or not. Some expressions look unfamiliar, but I think it is because those concepts are unfamiliar to Japanese.

In the Japanese community on discord, some seem to be dissatisfied with the changes below.

(Legend: [English]: [Previous Japanese] → [Current Japanese])

Yam Network:ヤム網→ジャムチ制

Springald:スプリンガルド→弩砲

Council Hall: 評議会議事堂 → 参事会堂

They feel awkward about change a cool familiar transliteration name into a technical term and consider it not so cool. But I think these changes are fine.

2 Likes

Thankfully good posts. and My Personal opinion…

I think Siege works should be 攻囲兵器技術, and Siege works should be 攻囲兵器工房, too.
In naturally JP description, not 攻囲 but 攻城. Surely in directly reading “攻囲” can be read as
translation into siege so I felt that is not wrong descriptions…

翰林院, 甕城, 水運儀象台, 皇帝陵 are currently Chinese historical(Cn from JP) pre-set JP words and I felt good translations. I felt 皇帝陵/魂の道 are both good.

長城関 and 内城 give me some strange impression.

I think 禁軍, 近衛兵 and 宮廷警護兵 are all “Palace Guards”, personally palace guards = 宮廷兵, removable “警護” in this case.

Professional Scouts should be プロの斥候. I also think 職業斥候 has widely meanings in professional scouts, not accurate.

Double broad axe should be ダブルブロードアックス, 両刃斧. “まさかり” is a JP original scythe styled in shapes and grips, not an axe.

All-Seeing Eye should be 千里眼. 全能の目 means eyes with between in godlike capacities and amazing viewing/watching skills and so on, the word mainly made for foreign (Christian) JP translation and not old JP words (seemed in about the middle of Edo-era or later).

below 3 words I also think bad changes in updates in 8 April. Previous words were much better.

Yam Network:ヤム網→ジャムチ制

Springald:スプリンガルド→弩砲

Council Hall: 評議会議事堂 → 参事会堂 (参事 has widely meanings in-by Council)

1 Like

Thank you for your opinion!

攻囲兵器技術(or 攻城兵器技術) looks the best choice of translation of Siege works. 宮廷兵 for palace guards is good choice too.

I think, in strategy games, players should be able to figure out what kind of building it is from the name. Therefore, I prefer the descriptive names to proper names. Or if you use unfamiliar proper names, you must put some okurigana (how to read) on them.

I have no idea about Springald and Council Hall, but I think ヤム網 should be avoided. When I started AoE4, I wondered what it was. However, I couldn’t figure it out because there was no hit in Google searches.

1 Like

Yam network is mongol’s unique road management. so…
Yam network = Yam chained network road managements = ヤム式鎖路網 = ヤム式連結(連絡)路 is an idea of another caption.
but I also like simply ヤム網.
Anyway ジャムチ制 is completely wrong, ヤム網 , ヤム式連絡路 or ヤム式連結路 in various options.

I think Springalds is 牽引石弓砲 or 牽引式石弓砲 as in forced JP translation,
but I like springalds are springalds = “スプリンガルド” styled in directly Kata-Kanas replacements.
・fixed my mistake: I think Springalds is/are “可動式石弓砲” or “スプリンガルド”.

In strictly translations, Council Hall is キングストン議事堂, similar to Rus civs’ “クレムリン”, “スパスカヤ塔” landmarks and so on. but I felt that is a long text.

1 Like

I do not think ジャムチ制(or simply ジャムチ)is completely wrong. But in that case, I also like ヤム網 much more than others choices.

1 Like

Hi, the poster of the original thread here. Thank you for the new thread, I didn’t notice the update until notified in your post. I honestly didn’t expect that dev team implemented my ideas in such a literal way (some of them are obviously immature…) so I was pretty surprised.

Here are my comments…

I definitely agree that 攻城 is more idiomatic than 攻囲. Originally I thought it might’ve been too much to change their flavor, but I’d support if it’s possible to change. BTW I’m amused how they messed up their own game’s terminology… maybe working in chronic crunch :joy:

I support all of those improvements above. I never thought they included the parenthesized (航海) just as it was… But perhaps 見張り船員 or 当直見張り would be more unambiguous in that it’s about sailor watching the sea.

It’s intended. The “all-seeing eye” does mean the god’s eye that sees through everything on the earth. It’s a Delhi tech researched in Mosque so I’m quite sure. But now on second thoughts 全知の目 might be a better phrasing.

I do think the current 禁軍 is less than optimal. At least it should be 禁軍兵 to refer to a unit/soldier (I wonder why they didn’t keep my parenthesized part this time?) I hesitated to use 近衛 because it was a tier prefix in AOE2, but if no such unit will come up in AOE4, naming this unit 近衛兵 is actually a good idea.

I’m afraid “broadax” is not “ax”. It’s mainly for hewing (製材) rather than chopping trees and that’s why it corresponds to まさかり. It’s a wood production tech so I think that’s correct this way. In addition, if you Google “double broadax(e)” in English you only find results related to AOE4, too. I guess they meant “double beveled broadax” by this term. ブロードアックス in Japanese only reminds me of weaponized broadax, and this was why I avoided the word, I guess.

In Japanese we do say 職業軍人 and 職業作家 etc. so I don’t feel it very bad. What I tried to convey is that this is not just soldiers occasionally assigned scouting duties but who are trained for scouting. In this light you could also say 専業斥候 or 偵察専門部隊.

For 翰林院, 水運儀象台, 長城関, and 皇帝陵, I’d decisively support the current naming, at least I think far better than the options on the right-hand side. You may argue that the original translation is more faithful to English and the current one overly technical, but it’s reversed. I bet you prefer 三国志 and 方丈記 over 三王国物語 (< Romance of the Three Kingdoms) and 十尺四方の小屋 (< The Ten Foot Square Hut), even though the latter are clearer and easier, because the former are their untranslated names for those concepts.

I don’t think those above are prohibitively difficult as I believe you learn them in 高校世界史, but in case 翰林院 looks too intimidating, you can perhaps use 学士院 as its full name is 翰林学士院.

Only what I think free translation is “Spirit Way” → 皇帝陵, but practically I believe it is some kind of tomb. The “way” itself is only accessory to a mausoleum (like 参道), not an independent building. Focusing on the road rather than the main building is a very Western perspective (see what languages have the WP article), which explains why we don’t have a good literal translation for this word. Note that even if you try to translate from English “spirit way”, it doesn’t mean what Japanese 魂の道 suggests.

Do you mean you want the pronunciation ヤム over ジャムチ, or prefer the 網 to 制? Because ジャムチ = “Yam” in this sense and only the former is the valid historical term in Japanese. (So ジャムチ網 might be an option, though not very idiomatic.)

I didn’t intend them as complete translation but they just took what I happened to list in first as if the answer… However I don’t think the original ones are good either. The problem is that they named some building in a vague (imaginary) manner that is hard to speculate what they want to depict…

2 Likes

こういった込み入った議論を英語でできる自信がないので日本語で失礼します。
Excuse me to take this style. Because of the complexity and the subtlety of this topic, I’m not confident in my ability to express my opinions in English. So, I decided to write Japanese and then put English after. (However, I can’t translate them literally or clearly.)

まず、しっかり意見を返してくださり、親切な説明まで添えていただきありがとうございます。とても参考になります。
Thank you for your opinion with detailed explanations. It helps me a lot to think about this problem.

まさかりと斧の間におおきな意味の差はなく、確かに「両刃斧」は両端に刃の付いた武器と結びつくので避けるべきですが、「(ダブル)ブロードアックス」が武器と結びつくイメージはそこまでありません。そしてやっぱり「両刃まさかり」は奇異に聞こえてしまいます。「まさかり」という和語が浮くのかもしれません。
There should be no big difference between まさかり and 斧. Now that you mention it, I agree that両刃斧 reminds weapons and therefore should be avoided. However I don’t think that ブロードアックス has the same issue. In addition, I still feel that 両刃まさかり sounds strange.

「職業〇〇」という言い方はたしかにありますが、テクノロジーの名前としては変だと思います。加えて「職業〇〇」は正式な(或いは専業の)職業として〇〇をしている、〇〇で生計を立てている…といったニュアンスですが、その意味では斥候は最初から職業斥候なはずです。日本語の「専業」「職業」には専門に訓練されたという意味合いがない以上、英語と同様「プロの斥候」、あるいは「訓練された斥候」「斥候訓練」などの方が適当だと思います。偵察に関係ないテクノロジーなので偵察専門部隊は避けたいです。
As you said, there are the phrases of “職業〇〇” in Japanese. But it is unsuitable for a name of a technology. And the phrases of “職業〇〇” means “do the job of it officially” or “make a living by it”, and there is no implication of “be trained to be it”, I think. Scouts are 職業斥候 from the beginning of the games, I guess.
Then it should be プロの斥候, same as English(I also think this name may spoil the atmosphere a bit). Or something like 訓練された斥候”(trained scouts)” or 斥候訓練”(scout training)”. I don’t think 偵察専門部隊 is good because it is not about 偵察(scouting) itself.

中国のランドマーク名についてはやはりどのような建物かを想像しやすい名前にするべきだと考えます。もちろんこれは僕が世界史について無学だからでしょうけれど、高校世界史を学ぶ日本人は決して多くないため(15%程度?)、三国志、方丈記などと比べそこまで人口に膾炙した名前ではないはずです。とはいえあくまでこれは私の好みの範疇なので、固有名詞を採用すること自体は問題ないとも思います。ただし、その場合「翰林院」「甕城」のような多くの日本人が読めない漢字は避けるべきです。その点で言えば学士院は一つの代案かもしれません。
I still suggest that the name of Landmarks be the name which reminds what kind of structure it is. I think it is because of the lack of my knowledge of the history. However who learn 高校世界史(the world history taught in high school) is not majority. I guess it’s about 15% or so. Those names are much less popular than 三国志 and 方丈記. Anyway, I will not stick to this idea. If the dev decided to use proper names, they should not use the name without unreadable letters like “翰” or “甕”. In that way, 学士院 would be a good choice.

私も「全能の目」よりは「全知の目」のほうが好きです。依然として「千里眼」を推しますが、イスラム教に疎いので、どちらが元来のニュアンスに近いのかは判断しかねます。一神教なので修行のもとたどり着く「千里眼」よりは「全知の目」なのかもしれません。
I prefer 全知の目 to 全能の目 too. But 千里眼 is my best. Since I’m not familiar with Islam, I have no idea which choice is close to the original meaning. So, I guess you are right.

最後に開発者の方が無思慮にかつ額面通りに受け取っていいように自分が提案する訳のリストを載せます。長文になって申し訳ないです。(意外と英語書けたから日本語消してもいいかしら)
I summarized my suggestions below to make it easy for dev to check what I want. Sry for this long reply. (Maybe I can delete my Japanese if this is good English)

(Legend: [English]: [Current Japanese] → [Suggested Japanese] )
・Siege Works: 攻囲兵器職人→攻城兵器技術>=攻囲兵器技術

・Siege Workshop: 攻囲兵器職人→攻城兵器工房>=攻囲兵器工房

・Imperial Academy: 翰林院 → 帝国アカデミー > 学士院 > 翰林院

・Barbican of the Sun: 甕城 → 太陽の楼門

・Astronomical Clocktower: 水運儀象台 → 天文時計塔 > 水運儀象台

・Great Wall Gatehouse: 長城関 → 万里の長城の守衛所or万里の長城の関所>長城関

・Spirit Way: 皇帝陵 → 魂の道 > =皇帝陵

・Enclave of the Emperor: 内城 → 皇帝の包領

・Professional Scouts: 職業斥候 →プロの斥候

・Double broadax:両刃まさかり→ダブルブロードアックス

・Palace Guard:禁軍→近衛兵 > 宮廷兵>=禁軍兵

・All-Seeing Eye: 全能の目→千里眼>全知の目

・Navigator Lookout : (航海)見張り→見張り

・Extra Hammocks: 追加ハンモック→ハンモックの追加

・Extra Ballista: 追加弩砲→弩砲の追加

・Extra Materials: 備蓄資材→ 資材の備蓄

I don’t care about : Yam Network(ジャムチ制), Springald(弩砲), Council Hall(参事会堂)

1 Like

長文書き散らしにもかかわらず早速のご返信ありがとうございます。こちらも日本語でお話しさせていただきます。

まず、全体的な話になりますが、名付けの良し悪しについて、これまでの議論をながめる限りいくつか判断の軸があると思います。

• 響きが良い、かっこいい ←→ しっくり来ない、ダサい
  • 学術的に正確である ←→ 間違い、事実ではない
  • わかりやすい、平明 ←→ 読みづらい、難しい

これを踏まえてまず自分の立場を述べると、まず史実を題材にしたゲームであることから、一番正確な表現でなくとも、最低限嘘は絶対に避けたいと思っています。その範囲でなるべく他の基準も満たすような名付けをしたいですが、嘘を回避するためならその他の点は多少犠牲もやむなし、という視点で以下議論していきますので、ご了承ください。

「まさかり」という言葉があまりこういう場面では出てこないという点では同意です(金太郎くらいか…)。しかし、まさかりと斧には、少なくとも機能面で脚立とはしご程度の差はあると思っています。そこで、「斧」はおっしゃる通りデフォルトでは武器寄りなので、ここでは「まさかり(/マサカリ/鉞)」が最適だと考えています。また、字面の問題であれば、「刃広斧」という言い方もできますし、やや正確性には劣りますが、「手斧」(と書いて「ちょうな」と読む)と言い換えてもいいかもしれません。

AOEでは独立のユニットと化していますが、本来の意味的に「斥候」は役割、つまり臨時に偵察に出す兵のことで、兵種ではないと思います。なので、斥候を専業とする人間を作るという意味ではテクノロジーとして意味のある名前だと思います。ただ、挙げてくださった「斥候訓練」というのはとても達意の訳だと感じますので、正直それに変えてもいいように思いました。

中国の歴史的建造物のネーミングについてですが、個別例の前に、英語の語形との対応について若干認識の齟齬があるような気がしたので、自分の見解を述べておきます。

まず一般的に、中国語(や日本語)と英語のような遠い言葉の間の翻訳では、しばしば意訳が生じます。先に三国志などの例を挙げましたが、逆もまたしかりで、例えば “sheriff” は語源的には「郡代官」ですが、アメリカの文脈では「保安官」と訳されます。また、イギリスの “The College of Arms” または “Heralds’ College” という機関は、ベタに解釈すると「武具(官)会」とか「伝令官会」のようになりますが、日本語ではどちらでもなく「紋章院」です。また、現代でもIEEEという組織は正式名称を直訳すると「電気電子技術者研究会」のようになりますが、普通は「米国電気電子学会」となります。
何が言いたいかというと、こういう翻訳の例では、訳した側の用語はより実態に即して、端的に分かりやすくなり、そして文脈に依存するような情報は消えます。特に原語の歴史が古く意味が変質しているものでは顕著です。日本語の「大名」や「文部省」を文字通り英訳しようとするとかなり面倒なことになるでしょう。こういう場合、訳に書かれた言葉だけを拾って何も補わないならば、むしろ書き手の意図に反する場合があり、誤訳と受け取られかねません。例えばアメリカが舞台で “in the Civil War…” とあれば「あの内戦の時」ではなく必ず「南北戦争の時」ですし、日本語の「着物」は文字通りにはすべての服装を指すはずですが実際は99%「和服」の意味でしょう。

以上を踏まえてですが、「翰林院」「水運儀象台」はやはりこれが理想だと思っている、というよりこれ以外にあまり選択肢はないのではないかと思います。
「翰林院」は歴代王朝に引き継がれたもので固有名詞ではなく、中国史の文脈で Academy といえばまずこれです。また、原訳である「帝国アカデミー」は「帝国」が近代語であること、「アカデミー」が近代西欧の類似機関を指す用語であることを考えると限りなく嘘に近いチョイスなので、こちらははっきりと良くないと思います。漢字が難しければ「学士院」かなと思います。
「水運儀象台」は1つしかなかった建物なので固有名詞ですが、Song Dynasty の Astronomical Clocktower といえばこれしかないと思います。「天文時計塔」も総称として間違いではないですが、絵面は完全に実在のそれなので、訳がリサーチ不足と思われて印象が悪い恐れがあるように思います。(余談ですが、ゲーム内ではなぜか攻城兵器を生産する場所なので、名前の意味は最悪わからなくても構わないかなという気持ちもあります)

「長城関」に関しては、できるだけ一塊の単語に見えるよう考えたのですが、詰めすぎであれば、「長城の関門」がいいかもしれません。「守衛所」はこの場合誤訳なのでやめた方がいいと思います。

“Spirit Way” については、「皇帝陵」というのは意訳でした。ただし、いずれにしても原訳の「魂の道」は嘘で、これは中国語の「神道」の直訳なので「墓の参道」くらいの意味です。おわかりのように参道自体は建築物の本体ではないのですが、前回書いたようになぜか欧米語ではこれ単体で認識しているらしく、観光地として入れない陵墓内よりもアクセスしやすいためか、それとも日本の鳥居のように特徴的に見えるせいかわかりません。モデルでは墓本体も一応見えるので「陵」としましたが、こういう背景なので他にも訳しようはあると思います。

「甕城」「内城」は他の問題もあるので他文明の同種の建物名と合わせて別に論じたいと思いますが、私も現在の訳を維持しようとは思っていません(かといって原訳も微妙なケースです)。

「千里眼」は個人的には仏教・道教的な人間の超能力のような印象を受けます。“all-seeing eye” はフリーメイソンのマークを指すのにも使われ、一神教の神の全知全能を表す典型的な比喩なので、正確性の観点からは「全知の目」を支持したいです。

また、Springald の議論がありましたが、確かに「弩砲」に統合してしまうのは少し勇み足だったかもしれません。ただしヨーロッパ中世で使われた狭義の Springald というのはこういうもので、ゲーム内のモデルとは全然似ないため、実際には前述の「着物」が服一般も指すように、このゲームでは自走式の弩砲(つまり投石機系ではないカタパルト)一般を指す広義の用法で使われているのかなと思っています。
その意味では上で言うような「可動式弩砲」とか「自走弩砲」というのもいいかもしれませんし、個人的には少し東アジア寄りかなと思いますが、「弩車」も提案させていただきます。(ただし Springald Emplacement のように明らかに固定されたものには言えないので、どうするか考えないといけません…)

Recap in English:

In general, I value most the historical accuracy of the terminology in translation, especially for a history-themed game. Although fluency and naturalness of wording should also be taken in account, I disagree with reducing to apparent falsehood for spurious ease of understanding. Especially when it comes to Chinese landmark names, the word-by-word conversion of English names would sound seriously out of context due to double translation. While I don’t insist on keeping every piece of current translation, some of old terms are clearly inappropriate in respect of accuracy.

My opinion in this comment:

[English]: [Current Japanese] → [Suggested Japanese] (× [Rejectable Japanese])

• Double Broadax: 両刃まさかり → 両刃まさかり / 両刃手斧
  • Professional Scouts: 職業斥候 → 斥候訓練
  • Imperial Academy: 翰林院 → 翰林院 / 学士院 (× 帝国アカデミー)
  • Astronomical Clocktower: 水運儀象台 → 水運儀象台
  • Great Wall Gatehouse: 長城関 → 長城関 / 長城の関門 (× …の守衛所)
  • Spirit Way: 皇帝陵 → 皇帝陵 / 陵墓参道 (× 魂の道)
  • All-Seeing Eye: 全能の目 → 全知の目
  • Springald: 弩砲 → 自走弩砲 / 可動式弩砲 / 弩車 / 弩砲
3 Likes

丁寧な説明に重ね重ね感謝します。余談ですがこういったサイトを利用して意見を述べるのは初めてなので書き方など結構参考にしています(recapっていい言葉…)

依然としてDouble Broadaxはダブルブロードアックスで問題ないと思います。これが駄目なら、両刃まさかりよりは両刃手斧の方が好きです。

一方、ここ数日間で「翰林院」「皇帝陵」と言った表現でもいいという気がしてきました。「帝国アカデミー」という表現のバカっぽさが一周回ってかっこよく感じていた、という面もあるかもしれません。

「長城関」は詰め過ぎという印象で、関所(関門)であることが伝わらないので、「長城の関門」のほうが良いと感じます。

「水運儀象台」は、仰る通り何故か攻城兵器が生産される場所なので、いっそ時計台だとわからなくてもフレーバー上問題ないかもしれませんねw

ただ、甕城や内城はこのままにするくらいならもとに戻すべきです。正陽門、紫禁城といった名前を使うのは変な感じがするので

Barbican of the Sunは「太陽の城楼」

Enclave of the Emperorは「天子の宮殿」

あたりがいいかもしれません。

All-Seeing Eyeはなるほど全知の目で良さそうですね。

最後にSpringaldについては弩砲でもスプリンガルドでもいいと思うのですが、これに関しては変に独自の熟語を作らないほうがいい気がしています。
前の投稿の提案一覧は修正しておきます。(追記:編集できなかったので後でまとめようかと思います)

Recap in English:

I still think ダブルブロードアックス is fine. But if it has a problem, 両刃手斧 is a choice.

I have come to think that there seems to be no problems with the current style of using proper names as long as they change 甕城(for Barbican of the sun) and 内城(for Enclave of the Emperor) to more suitable names. Maybe “太陽の城楼”, ” 天子の宮殿” are choices.

Now I agree 全治の目 is a suitable translation of “All-seeing Eye.”

I think Springald is スプリンガルド or 弩砲. I feel that it is not a good idea to make a new term in order to translate it.

ありがとうございます。私もしょっちゅう書き込むわけではないので、みなさんの書き方を参考に試し試しやっています。不届きな点がありましたらご指摘ください。

そうですね。これらに関してはすでに出た選択肢の中で、あとはしっくり来るか来ないかだけのような気もしますので、人気投票でもやって決めるしかないかもしれません。

さて、後回しにしていた歴史的建造物の名前ですが、中国以外の建造物に関しても同じような問題があるためまとめて議論をしたいと思っています。

去年のスレッドの段階では調べ切れていなかったのでそれほど提案していなかったのですが、AOE4ではどうも各文明の固有建造物は、ベースとなる実在の建物があってもごく少数を除いて名称をそのまま使わず、少しひねって名前をつけているようです(なぜ名前を変えているのかや、名前を変えていない建物との違いはわかりませんでした)。そのため、訳者が把握しかねたのか、ずれた名付けになっている建物がそれなりにあります。

まず上にも挙がった中国の2つですが、これらが恐らく圧倒的に厄介です。

• Barbican of the Sun
    原訳である「太陽の楼門」は「楼門」が誤った用語(扉の上に二階がある門)です。ネットの英和辞典を引くと “barbican” の訳として「楼門」が出てくるようですが、そうすると西洋の構造物だと思って訳していることになります。英訳で “barbican” になる中国の建物は「甕城」であり、これはあえて日本建築で相当物を探すとしたら「枡形」や「馬出」だと思います。以前のスレッドでこの建物は「正陽門(とその箭楼)」ではないかという指摘がありましたが、名称的には合いますが不明です。ゲーム内のモデルでは上部の箭楼(やぐら)が入口に対して縦ですが、ここから前方に矢を撃たないといけないので、このような造りの甕城はないはずです。さらに、モンゴルキャンペーンで登場しますが、城の中央に配置され天守のように使われています。そのため、もはやこれが何なのかわかりません(笑)。“barbican” という名前は一旦忘れた方がいいのかもしれません。矢は放つので「城楼」であり、入口があるので「城門」であることは確かです。“sun” は中国語で考えるなら「南向き」くらいの意味ですが、ゲーム内で南を向くわけでもありません。ただ「太陽」ではなくもう少し中国的なセンスにすることはできます。「~門」という名付けも可能ですが固有名詞っぽくなるのであまりおすすめはできないです。
    → 南面の城楼 / 向陽の城門 / 白日の城楼 / 太陽の城門…
    → (固有名詞っぽく): 城陽門 / 九陽門 / 午門

• Enclave of the Emperor
    原訳は「皇帝の包領」ですが、「包領」はバチカン市国のような状態を指します。建物のモデルが故宮・紫禁城なのは確かだと思いますが、紫禁城がその状態にあったのは清滅亡後の話で、時代的には合いません。“Enclave” 自体は領土以外にも隔離された部分一般を指せるので、その意味では「皇帝が専有する領域」と解釈するのが正しいと思います。しかしその指す対象は曖昧で、北京の城はタマネギ状のため皇城・(紫)禁城・内廷・後宮などどのレイヤーの話なのか確定できません。ですが、モデルを見ると乾清宮に似てるかなと今は思っているので、大体禁城とか内廷あたりを指すような言葉を使いたいと考えています。「天子の」とするのも良いと思います(その場合 Imperial Palace の方も注意が必要です)。
    → (皇帝/天子の)禁城 / (皇帝/天子の)禁裏 / 皇帝/天子の居宮 / 皇帝/天子の内廷
    → (ちょっと嘘が入るもの): 皇宮正殿 / 皇極殿

• Council Hall
    この建物はロングボウ施設なので、当初は自由民の組織かと思い自治都市の政府にあたる「参事会」を当てたのですが、よく考えると王が臣下を召集する Royal Council のような気がしています。この場合は「王会」となります。モデルがウェストミンスター・ホールであることもあり、原訳のように「議事堂」である可能性は低いです。
    → 王会堂

• Royal Institute
    今の訳は「王立協会」となっています。字面だけ見るとその可能性も否めないのですが、王立協会と普通訳される組織は近代イギリスのものであり、この建物のモデルがソルボンヌ学寮であることから、「王立学院」とするのが正しいと思います。
    → 王立学院

• Meinwerk Palace
    今の訳は「マインヴェルク宮」ですが、Meinwerk というのは当時の有力者であった司教の名前です。地名ではないので「~宮」という名付け方はしないと思います。「城伯の宮殿」と同様「マインヴェルクの宮殿」とすべきです。
    → マインヴェルクの宮殿

• Compound of the Defenders
    原語の “compound” はインド感を出すために使われていると思いますが、意味するところはやや曖昧です。今の訳は「防衛部隊陣地」ですが、「陣地」は前線に作った拠点を指すのに対し、原語は「居住区」に近く「防衛を任務とする集団が集住するために特別に割り当てられた区画、施設」というニュアンスになります。意訳して「防衛隊本部」というのもありかもしれません。
    → 防衛隊(駐屯地 / 詰所 / 官舎 / 本部)

• The Prayer Hall of Uqba
    これは実在する建物名のままだと思いますが、今の訳は「ウクバの祈りの館」となっています。これだと神秘主義の拠点みたいな語感ですが、実際のこの建物は巨大なモスクなので、単に「礼拝堂」、あるいはキリスト教的に聞こえるなら「礼拝所」がいいかもしれません。
    → ウクバの礼拝堂 / ウクバの大礼拝所

その他直っていないもの:

• Counterweight Trebuchet: まだ「改良型遠投投石機」のままですが、「遠投投石機」という名前自体AOE2で作られた狭義の trebuchet つまり counterweight trebuchet を指す言葉なので、「改良型」は全く余分なはずです。
    → 遠投投石機

• Monastic Shrines: まだ「修道所 (神殿)」という謎の訳語のままですが、原語の意味は「修道士が常駐するもしくは修行用の社、祠」ではないか思います(「修道士」はモンゴルには合いませんが…)。
    → 修行の祠 / 修練の祠 / 道場

Recap in English:

For “Double Broadax” and “Springald”, I think the ideas are fully discussed and all we have to do is to decide which one sounds best.

Also I’ll discuss about several confusions in translation of landmarks and wonders, including “Barbican of the Sun”, “Enclave of the Emperor”, and “Council Hall” in question, probably because original English tweaked from their real world names. Some are hard to find a single preferable name due to vagueness in English, but let me list improvement ideas:

• Barbican of the Sun (pre-S1: 太陽の楼門, current: 甕城)
    → 南面の城楼 / 向陽の城門 / 白日の城楼 / 太陽の城門…
    → (proper name-ish (unrecommended)): 城陽門 / 九陽門 / 午門

• Enclave of the Emperor (pre-S1: 皇帝の包領, current: 内城)
    → (皇帝/天子の)禁城 / (皇帝/天子の)禁裏 / 皇帝/天子の居宮 / 皇帝/天子の内廷
    → (not strictly accurate): 皇宮正殿 / 皇極殿

• Council Hall (pre-S1: 評議会議事堂, current: 参事会堂)
    → 王会堂

• Royal Institute (current: 王立協会)
    → 王立学院

• Meinwerk Palace (current: マインヴェルク宮)
    → マインヴェルクの宮殿

• Compound of the Defenders (current: 防衛部隊陣地)
    → 防衛隊(駐屯地 / 詰所 / 官舎 / 本部)

• The Prayer Hall of Uqba (current: ウクバの祈りの館)
    → ウクバの礼拝堂 / ウクバの大礼拝所

Other unfixed errors:

• Counterweight Trebuchet: 改良型遠投投石機 → 遠投投石機
  • Monastic Shrines: 修道所 (神殿) → 修行の祠 / 修練の祠 / 道場
1 Like

自分の話したかったことはこれくらいなので、以下英語に戻します。IdleMagician268さん、CanniestDrake51さん様々な意見をありがとうございました。とても充実した議論になったと思います。最後に自分の意見をまとめさせて頂きます。もちろん引き続き誤訳の指摘などある場合は議論を続けましょう。

I’ll quit this JP-EN style because we have discussed what I think should be changed. Thank you for participating this discussion. It was very fruitful discussion. In the end, I list my opinion below. Of cause, this is not the end of this discussion if additional mistranslations are pointed out or there are new opinions.

・Siege Works: 攻囲兵器職人→攻城兵器技術

・Siege Workshop: 攻囲兵器職人→攻城兵器工房

・Imperial Academy: 翰林院 → 学士院 / 翰林院

・Barbican of the Sun: 甕城 → 太陽の楼城 / 太陽の城門

・Astronomical Clocktower: 水運儀象台 → 水運儀象台

・Great Wall Gatehouse: 長城関 → 万里の長城の関門 / 長城の関門

・Spirit Way: 皇帝陵 → 魂の道 / 皇帝陵

・Enclave of the Emperor: 内城 → 皇帝/天子の禁城 / 皇帝/天子の禁裏 / 皇帝/天子の内廷
I think we need ”皇帝の” or “天子の” in this name. 居宮 is too uncommon word to use in this name.

・Professional Scouts: 職業斥候 →プロの斥候/斥候訓練

・Double broadax:両刃まさかり→ダブルブロードアックス

・Palace Guard:禁軍→近衛兵/禁軍兵/宮廷兵

・All-Seeing Eye: 全能の目→全知の目

・Navigator Lookout : (航海)見張り→見張り

・Extra Hammocks: 追加ハンモック→ハンモックの追加

・Extra Ballista: 追加弩砲→弩砲の追加

・Extra Materials: 備蓄資材→ 資材の備蓄

I agree with these two changes below.
・Counterweight Trebuchet: 改良型遠投投石機 → 遠投投石機

・Monastic Shrines: 修道所 (神殿) → 修行の祠 / 修練の祠 / 道場

I don’t have a specific opinion about Springald or other Landmarks, but I think that we should not create a new kanji-compound-word for it. For example, 可動式弩砲 for Springald should be avoided because it isn’t on an ordinary dictionary.

You all are AMAZING! You know who isn’t? ME! I unfortunately don’t have the language chops to follow this conversation. I will, however, forward this thread along to the localization team. Really appreciated!

2 Likes

Finally, in the PUP in this month, the translations were improved a lot. The errors which we pointed out were all fixed, at least they are no longer “mistranslation”. With a lot of QoL improvements, this change makes the playing more comfortable. I appreciate it.

Btw, I’ve found out some new mistranslations, which I’ll share below easily. And I hope devs will fix them till the update in Oct 24th.(Should I make a new Topic for this?)

Almost in description in the Tech Tree
  • 固有ユニット(オスマンのテクノロジー系統図の説明文):Unique Units(Ottomans)
    Error:
    「シパーヒー:騎手の代わりになります。」
    Suggestions:
    「シパーヒー:騎乗兵の代わりになります。」
    Comment:
    A wrong translation for “horseman”

• イェニチェリ部隊(オスマン): Janissary Company (Ottomans)
    Error:
    「歴史的建造物の町の中心にある各軍学校にイェニチェリが2ユニット出現します」
    Suggestions:
    「各軍学校につき2人のイェニチェリが歴史的建造物の町の中心に出現します」
    「軍学校の数×2のイェニチェリが歴史的建造物の町の中心に出現します」
    Comment:
    It says “Spawn 2 Janissaries at each of your Military schools which are in the Landmark Town Center”, which means nonsense.

• メフテル戦鼓(オスマン);Mehter Drums(Ottomans)
    Error:
    「メフテルが1スポーン。」
    Suggestions:
    「メフテルが1体出現します。」

• 帝国艦隊(オスマン):Imperial Fleet(Ottomans)
    Error:
    「火薬船の移動速度が」
    Suggestions:
    「砲撃を行う艦船の移動速度が」
    「大砲を持つ船の移動速度が」
    Comment:
    火薬船is a strange translation for “Gunpowder Ships” . Also, it sounds like referring to the demo-ships. I think 砲撃を行う艦船(Fleets which fire) or 大砲を持つ船(Ships with cannons) do better.

• 家(マリ): house(Malians)
    Error:
    「マリの家の資源消費量が半分になります」
    Suggestions:
    「マリの家は資源消費量が半分です」
    Comment:
    It can be read as “If you build a house, it makes the cost of houses half.” It is little confusing.

• ハントレスの砦(マリ): Fort of the Huntress(Malians)
    Error:
    「天守の働きをする」
    (for “Act as a keep”. 天守is former term. Now keep is translated as “砦”.)
    Suggestions:
    「砦として機能します」
    Comment:
    Just translate it in the same way the Seagate Castle is translated.)

• 建物の選択(ホットキー):Building selection(hotkey setting)
    Error:
    「個々の攻囲兵器職人を選択」
    「すべての攻囲兵器職人を選択」
    Suggestions:
    「個々の攻城兵器工房を選択」
    「すべての攻城兵器工房を選択」
    Comment:
    They seem to have forgotten to fix them.

Thank you.

This is fantastic @casolot! I’ll get these to the localization team. Very much appreciated!

1 Like