Known Issue: Performance Issues with Low FPS

Hi, I had just updated my game through update 34223. I was wondering if the previous update that you said was the biggest update since the definite edition release that was announced as update 33059 is still under review?

Stále mám problém s nízkým fps i když mám na to dost silný a nový notebook ,KTERÝ BY TO MĚL ZVLÁDAT V POHO.Jak jste daleko s řešením tohoto problému,o něco výše v diskuzi nekdo psal ,že je to problém silnějších a nových počítačů proč a kdy by mohl být tak nejdřív vyřešen tento problém moc rád bych zahral Age of empires I defintive edition nostalgii v novém kabátě v v plynulosti,POMOŽTE MI PROSÍM:/

Dear Age of Empires development team,

first of all I’d like to thank you for remastering this game such perfectly (I love the new animations, graphics and audio) :blush:

Unfortunately I’m suffering from heavy frame rate drop when playing the game (e. g. first mission in the learning campaign) on my PC or on my notebook. Clean install of Windows didn’t help. I’ve updated the game to the latest available version 101.101.34223.0 4509956.

PC specifications

Hardware
Mainboard: MSI P35 Neo
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 Ghz
Memory: 6144 MB RAM
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5850, 1024 MB GDDR5-RAM
SSD: Toshiba THNSNH, 512 GB

Software
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
DirectX-Version: DirectX 12

Notebook specifications

Hardware
System Model: Asus N61Ja
CPU: Intel Core i5 @ 2,4 Ghz
Memory: 4096 MB RAM
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730, 1024 MB DDR3-RAM

Software
Resolution: 1280 x 720 @ 60 Hz (on TV screen)
DirectX-Version: DirectX 12

I know these specifications aren’t high-end. But Age of Empires 1 Definitive Edition was already running smoothly on my PC. And since both games use apparently a very similar (if not the same) engine there might be a different reason for my performance issues.

So I made a blank test map. It runs smoothly at 35-60 fps. But when just placing 8 (!) trees on the map the frame rate already drops to 15-20 fps. When placing 1 cathedral the frame rate drops to 10-15 fps. Interestingly, though, when pasting up the whole screen only with flames (or someting else lacking shadows) the frame rate is about 35-60 fps.

In conclusion, there might be a problem with shadow rendering? :thinking: Is there a way to disable shadows for testing purpose?

Best regards,
Chris

4 Likes

I wanted to report that G-Sync still seems to be broken after update 34699 as I still experience substantial screen tearing and uneven frame pacing resulting in stutter when panning the map (as described in my previous post just a few posts above).

It is concerning this this has not yet been added to “known issues” and I’m beginning to wonder if it will ever be addressed. I have not been able to yet enjoy playing the game because of this issue.

1 Like

I have a GTX 1070 TI and it is using 100% GPU in AoE2 DE dont know why, it causes bad lag in Multiplayer only, runs okay in solo.

Hi , for 60fps , Set power management mode in nvidia control panel for this game to prefer maximum performance.

So this issue is closed?

Not for everyone.

I get good FPS but people still don’t have good FPS sometimes

If you’re still having issues we’d love to hear details.

1 Like

Enabling v-sync drastically improves performance for me (removes stuttering), which is maybe weird.

2 Likes

I didn’t experience stuttering but it made my benchmark jump from 300/600 ish to 970, first time since the beta! Thx a lot!

I still have the same Problems. My Benchmark ist at 1250 with around 50 FPS, my FPS in Single Player are 100+, but when i host a MP game my FPS in the Menu are already going down to like 55, and when game starts i have like 35 FPS which getting even lower when the game goes on.

I think you’d be surprised to see my peak FPS was 190 on some 1v1 games. (using UHD)

The game runs now very smoothly since the last update 34699 :heavy_check_mark:
Thank you so much, Age of Empires development team! :blush:

(Only with very much objects e.g. 7th Williame Wallace scenario, when centering to own town center, or 1th Saladin scenario in Cairo the frame rate drops to 30 fps …Maybe you still have some room for improvement, even for my specs? :wink:)

2 Likes

For the record, I am still very much having issues with screen tearing, stuttering, etc. as described above after 34699. I still get screen tearing when v-sync or g-sync are enabled independently of each other. Strangely, enabling both still seems to eliminate or at least cut down on the tearing, but there are still other issues with stuttering.

1 Like

Looks like anything resembling FPS, stuttering, v-sync or g-sync or the like was either moved to “fixed” or never tracked in the first place. Guess it’s getting brushed under the rug. I’ll at least try to get a refund, though I may have screwed myself by waiting to see if it would ever get fixed.

It’s 3 months after release and v-sync/g-sync are still broken. What the ■■■■.

1 Like

Any update on this? My friends and I just purchased this game, we all have high end gaming rigs, and are unable to play multiplayer due to how choppy the games get even with stable FPS.

1 Like

I strongly disagree, the performance was increased for me personally since the earlier versions.
But I guess not lots of people are left with this issue, this post was quite inactive for a while

1 Like

The performance did Improve alot in the 35584 Build , I hope the devs will continue on improving the performance of the game . Also I wonder why you get a big FPS drop when there is alot of trees or mountains on the screen ?

My friends and I have still been experiencing considerable intermittent connection issues with the servers. No FPS drops with frames remaining relatively consistent around the 60fps cap in game, but the game will randomly get very choppy or have really bad response times due to input delays.

For example, if I try moving a unit it may take 30+ seconds for the unit to begin moving to that spot. As mentioned this randomly occurs and may only last for a few minutes.