Lobbies more bugged than ever - part II

Hello everyone,

It would be incredibly helpful for us if you could help us by reproducing these issues on a special branch that has enhanced logging enabled. The password for the enhanced logging branch on Steam is: 4YH2SkfG7CK5yanvrXE9qj8b.

If you’re able to repro these issues on that branch then please check your “\Users[username]\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\logs” folder for a log that matches the date and time. Zipping these logs up will greatly reduce the filesize and make it easier to upload them. If you were able to repro and uploaded the logs or weren’t able to repro the next step would be to go to this directory again and, if desired, delete all logs that were generated from this build to free up space again. Then opt out of this beta branch again.
Heading into long games on this build is not recommended as they can generate very large log files, though these specific issues should not require you to do that.

Thank you everyone for your reports, please take this step to help us acquire additional important information.

1 Like

Just curious, but is it possible to just add various tiers of logging into production builds of the game and let us toggle it on/off via a registry key or some other simple method? Might help in your investigations if there was a permanent utility for this, particularly considering the need for logs keeps coming up.

As my game is almost unplayable since the DLC launch (opening or loading into lobbies or ranked partys end 99% of the time in an error or endless laoding screen) i did try the log report beta.

But the second i used this “beta build” the game works perfect. Did try it now 3 times by switching build from the beta enhanced logging branch to normal and back. Each time i play with the beta build MP works perfect and i can open lobbies as well as ranked partys. The loading in those takes just seconds as it should and i can match people in ranked without matching errors. But once i am back on the main build MP dosent work and all i get are errors and time outs.

So unfortunatly i cant reproduce the problem and creat big log files as the game works perfect with that beta branch. Not sure what else than the log file size this branch changes but you guys should look at it and copy it to the main build if possible as it seems to fix everything.

Classic case of “cannot reproduce” an issue which is basically everywhere 11
Just try for 20 min to get into a lobby 11

Is there a way to do it for Windows Store users?

Short summary: This post has 3 logs, from 3 sessions. The first reproduces the bug after no games. The second one does not produce the bug, and has a short game, but the lobbies are slow. The third one reproduces the bug after a long game.

Details:

Session 1
Here is a short aoe2 de session with bugged lobby browsing: I just started the game, clicked on Multiplayer, then clicked on “Find Custom Game”. No games showed up. I then exited the session.

Here is the screenshot of bugged lobby browsing:

Here is the log:

When this happens, I also know that steam or ingame invites will not work either. These invites won’t result in show errors; they just hang and take forever without anything happening.

Session 2
Here is another session I had right before Session 1. This session did not have the lobby browsing bug (lobbies showed up this time when I browsed games), but lobbies took forever to load. I joined an Arena game, played for only a few minutes, then after that, tried the lobby browsing again. It worked, and lobbies showed up. I exited the session after this.

Not sure if this log is helpful, since the bug didn’t occur, but the open games still took forever to load each time. Log file:

Session 3
Here is another session, where I reproduced the bug again. At first the lobbies worked, so I joined a game, and played the game for over 30 minutes (this bug occurs more after games that are longer). After the game finished, I then tried to join a game (Multiplayer > Find Custom Game), and the same issue (“No games matching those parameters found”) as the first session showed up (see screenshot above). I clicked refresh, and it still cannot find any lobbies. Then I exited the session.

This log file is long; the most useful events are probably near the end, where I try to browse lobbies and it is bugged. Here is the log:

Unfortunately I don’t have any logs ATM with real steam invites; I’ll try in the next few days to see if I can get one.

Platform: Steam
Game build: 101.101.51737.0 7152088 Enhanced Logging

Note that I also used these launch options:
SKIPINTRO DEBUGSPEEDS

Good luck with debugging these!

3 Likes

This is not a solution. I’m still facing this issue 9 days after it was reported.

Servers keep crashing

I can reporduce the problem in just 5 seconds on the normal branch but not at all on the said beta branch :roll_eyes: You should learn to read^^

Btw 3 more people i know tried the enhanced logging beta and the game works perfect for them as well on it. ONce they switch back to the main version lobbies are bugged as hell but all is fine on the beta …

1 Like

Lobbies are broken for 6 months now…

I am not sure we can still hope that they repare something.

Can’t find any lobby games

I just had the same problem. I restarted the game then I got a full list of ghost games.

It seems that nobody can play now. 30 min I couldn’t enter any game !

1 Like

Having the same issues. Cant play or find any lobbies.

Took me one hour to start a game today.

1 Like

Same, also there’s 50% of probability of being stuck in pre-game mode, you know where it says “game starting in 5,4,3,2,1, ecc ecc”.
Then nothing happens.

1 Like

Please fix this game, it’s literally unplayable at the moment.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the logs!

If anyone else who is able to reproduce the issue can help contribute additional logs please do so, you can find the short instructions here: Lobbies more bugged than ever - part II - #41 by Chesqin. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And what’s going on with all the other GUI bugs? Like my client showing that I am in main menu, but I am queing up in a ranked TG at the same time, etc? There are new DLC, but the game is not beeing debugged…
@Chesqin

1 Like

To anyone else willing to log, I also found this pinned topic helpful from GMEvangelos:

It tells you step by step how to turn on enhanced logging in Steam, using the same key that Chesqin gave.

I also encountered the stuck-at-pre-game mode problem yesterday, where it counted down 5,4,3,2,1 and just hung without starting; unfortunately, enhanced logging was not turned on. I’ll try to keep logging on as I play the next few days to see if I can catch one.

Here is a session with a Steam invite.

Tl;dr: I figured out that the game actually joins the lobby, and I show up as in the lobby; however, the UI doesn’t pull up the game lobby.

First, I start a fresh session of Aoe2DE. Then I accept the invite to join my friend Anduin’s lobby. My in-game name is Ante.

Nothing happens with the UI for a minute (it stays on main menu). So I click Multiplayer, then Lobby browser. This is what I see:

My name, “Ante”, is the fifth player in this lobby. But my UI doesn’t show the game, just the lobby browser. My friend Anduin confirmed that I’m in the lobby. If I then try to click “join game” from the UI, then it gives this error:

After this, it kicks me out of the lobby, and Anduin confirms that I drop from the lobby. So I think the UI is simply not loading the game lobby. (In fact, the UI doesn’t do anything and just stays on the main menu. I had to click “Multiplayer > Lobby Browser” to find this.)

Here is the session log from this session:

This is also the same sequence of events if I accept an in-game invite and it hangs like this.

1 Like