Map of Civilisations not in AoE 2 (as of December 2022)

I want those scenario units made into skins for regular units. An official mod that can be updated and can be turned on/off.

1 Like

Civs should be based on people groups/cultures/language but not dynasties. Thatā€™s what I mean. Dynasties are just a royal family not a civilization.

3 Likes

Agreed. Also, I find weird that those propositions always come up for Muslim or Indian dynasties and never for European Christian ones. No one for splitting the Franks into Merovingians, Carolingians, Capetians and Valois? No? Good, but somewhat weird.
Also, people tend to ask to leave out some specific dynasties from their requests for reasons I sometimes donā€™t understand. For instance Iā€™ve seen plenty of requests for the Ottomans, the Ayyubids or the Mamluks (stretching the definition of dynasty a little bit here), but I rarely see people asking for the Seldjukids or the Fatimids.

2 Likes

Probably lack of knowledge of areas outside of Europe is the reason.

My guess is people want to break up saracen umbrella but dont have a good idea on how to break it up in a meaningful way.Never seen anyone with knowledge about india asking for dynasties to get added as factions.

2 Likes

Obas of Oyo sounds good. Add Edo as a civ, whose kings were also named Obas, and it could form a nice little DLC fitting to the DLC naming style of using titles of power holders (kings, conquistadores, rajas, khans, lords, dukes).
Yoruba would be welcome, because they were one of the largest African peoples (mitigating the current African under-representation) and Ife and Oyo were powerful realms. Plus, Yoruba culture plays a big role still today, not only in West Africa, but also in Latin America. Wouldnā€™t it be great if their ancestors were represented?
In game, they could replace some enemies in Malian campaign for versatility (a bit of a stretch historically) and have a cavalry and trading focus. The campaign could also centre around Ile-Ife e.g. with Oranmiyan & the folk heroine Moremi (s. also this story version) as Oyo had its zenith not before modern times.
The Edo campaign could be Idia (& Esige) and also feature Yoruba as enemies (avoiding a full mirror campaign). The beautiful Benin bronzes would be a perfect campaign symbol hitting a note of our times, now that they are repatriated to Nigeria.

1 Like

Possible African Campaigns:

Somalis: Ahmad Gragn
Nubians: Qalidurut
Kanembu: Idris Alooma
Songhai: Askia The Great
Hausa: Kanta Kotal
Benin: Ozolua & Idia
Kongolese: Kwilu Dynasty
Swahili: Kilwa
Shonas: Nyanhewe Matope

I would suggest Afonso I for Kongo. Historian John Thornton (who is something of an authority on the subject) is said to have had a biography of Afonso in an informal style scheduled for this year or the next. Devs can use it as a base if they are planning a new African DLC.

A book specifically about the Ethiopian-Adal War by Jeffrey Shaw also came out a while ago that would be of great use to devs.

Iā€™d love to see Tibetans in the game

Oyo had grown into a formidable inland power by the end of the 14th century. For over a century, the Yoruba state had expanded at the expense of its neighbors. During the reign of ######### Oyo suffered military defeats at the hands of the Nupe led by Tsoede.[7] Sometime around 1535, the Nupe occupied Oyo and forced its ruling dynasty to take refuge in the kingdom of Borgu.[8] The Nupe sacked the capital, destroying Oyo as a regional power until the early 17th century.[9]

Imperial period (1608ā€“1800)[edit]

The Yoruba of Oyo went through an interregnum of 80 years as an exiled dynasty after its defeat by the Nupe. They re-established Oyo to be more centralized and expansive than ever. The people created a government that established its power over a vast empire.[8] During the 17th century, Oyo began a long stretch of growth, becoming a major empire.[9] Oyo never encompassed all Yoruba people, but it was the most populous kingdom in Yoruba history.[10]

Reconquest and expansion[edit]

The key to the Yoruba rebuilding of Oyo was a stronger military and a more centralized government. Taking a cue from their Nupe enemies (whom they called ā€œTapaā€), the Yoruba rearmed with armor and cavalry.[8] Oba Ofinran, Alaafin of Oyo, succeeded in regaining Oyoā€™s original territory from the Nupe.[7] A new capital, Oyo-Igboho, was constructed, and the original became known as Old Oyo.[7] The next oba, Eguguojo, conquered nearly all of Yorubaland.[7] After this, Oba Orompoto led attacks to obliterate the Nupe to ensure Oyo was never threatened by them again.[7] During the reign of Oba Ajiboyede, he held the first Bere festival, an event to celebrate peace in the kingdom. Celebrated regularly, it would retain much significance among the Yoruba long after the fall of Oyo.[7]

Under his successor, Abipa, the Yoruba repopulated Oyo-Ile and rebuilt the original capital.[7] Despite a failed attempt to conquer the Benin Empire sometime between 1578 and 1608,[7] Oyo continued to expand. The Yoruba allowed autonomy to the southeast of metropolitan Oyo, where the non-Yoruba areas could act as a buffer between Oyo and Imperial Benin.[11] By the end of the 16th century, the Ewe and Aja states of modern Benin were paying tribute to Oyo.

No bad name soundsā€¦ and yes missing campaigns for civs of the game: Vikings, Persians, Turks, Mayans, etc etc etcā€¦

Of course, as with the Dukes of Burgundyā€¦

Yes, itā€™s very aoe 4 thatā€¦In addition these 2 dynasties can be represented in AoE 3 quietlyā€¦the Safavids with Abbas I (r. 1588-1629) and the Saadies with Ahmad al-Mansur (r. 1578-1603)ā€¦

Of course,sound too good or it can also be called ā€œLegends of Africaā€ā€¦

Yes, it can beā€¦ in fact it could be like a prequel to the historical battle of Cristobal Da Gamaā€™s expedition in AoE 3ā€¦where you lead Ahmad Gragn conquering the entire area in Ethiopia until in the cinematic epilogue of his campaign it is mentioned that he was killed by a Portuguese musketeer (as seen in AoE 3) in revenge for killing Da Gamaā€¦

Of course and there you put a campaign seeing the Arab expansion in the seventh century (642-652), but seen from the other point of view, of how they felt the fear of being conquered the African Christian states of the early Middle Ages such as Makuria and Aksum/Ethiopiaā€¦

A little late perhapsā€¦I would prefer Dunama Dabbalemi (r. 1210 to 1224)

He appears in CIV 5 so he gets on the ballotā€¦

It can also be his father Ewuare or that he is father and son at the same timeā€¦first one and then the otherā€¦

Itā€™s a bit lateā€¦ I would go for the previous dynasty, Kilukeni (1390-1567), which is when they come into contact with the Portuguese in 1472ā€¦

Of course and let it be Suleiman Hassan (r. 1178-1195)

Yes it may be the accidental crusade (1568-1572) but not more than thatā€¦

Or his father Joao tooā€¦

In fact, that war is represented in AoE 3 so the devs are aware of being able to continue using itā€¦

But the CCP does not xdā€¦

Itā€™s their problem and we shouldnā€™t care. I think itā€™d be something interesting + itā€™d honor the nation in troubles

1 Like

Sales matter a lot not representation.

1 Like

Of course, the issue is not the representation, but the sales that MS could lose if China bans the game thereā€¦

1 Like

They could rename it in China to Himalayans

Sure, it could beā€¦ but as long as there is no mention of Tibetā€¦

Canā€™t they just call it Tufan as a loophole?

1 Like

Maybe. You can probably also add the Uighurs and make the Chiness version call them Gokturks

1 Like

Yeap a Chinese market version and rest of the world version. Not impossible to do.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t mind if all of the versions call them Gokturks tbh

3 Likes

Thats fair. I think a civ from that region should represemnt both peoples (and in general represent the Turkic peoples of the far east) who were both quite important for the region (even if Gokturks were more influential, Uighurs lasted more)

I prefer Uighurs as a name though, mostly because it diesnt have Turks in the name

It would be like having a Yugoslav civ and an Slav civ, it just sounds a bit silly