Map scrolling is choppy/sluggish & stuttering

Ok thanks. Keep an eye on the next couple of updates there are more changes on the way.

1 Like

Will do. Meant to say that I’ve tried with g-sync *disabled (and enabled as well). No apparent difference either way.

I was actually contemplating refunding and waiting to see if this gets addressed. No offense, but I just can’t really enjoy the game in its current state (though it seems many others can given its very positive rating on steam). I wonder if this issue only affects certain users or if some people just don’t notice or care. My guess is moreso the latter.

Either way please keep us posted - I’m going to stay subscribed to this thread and would appreciate any updates on the issue. Are these next couple of updates coming before the end of the year? Or are we talking like 3-6 months or something?

1 Like

I want to say its closer to 2-3 weeks, but i make no guarantees on anything particularly for things I am not directly working on.

2 Likes

Hi, in case this helps I just made another video of the problem. With and without VSync.

1 Like

Game Version:

Build ( 101.101.33164.0 4413571)
Platform Steam

Issue:

Navigation stutters a lot and fps does not matter (navigation stutters at 140fps and it stutters at 40fps). I do not know if this is intentionally but the navigation also feels “icy” and does not stop immediately after you stop pressing the arrow key (or moving the mouse).

Reproduction Steps:

1. Just press the arrow key
  2. Or use other navigation tool like mouse, it does not matter

Specs:
r5 3600
gtx 1080
16gb ddr4 3200mhz

Monitor:
Acer 271hu 165hz g-sync

1 Like

You can customize this with “Scroll inertia” option.

I notice that this stuttering that happens during panning doesn’t currently appear on the “known issues” list; is it not classified as an issue?

Chances are it’s under “performance issues.” And well, that list is pretty bad anyway, it just seems to be a very generalized version of some of the more important issues… or they really just don’t know that for example the new AI significantly alters the feel and difficulty of some of the campaigns maps and sometimes that can cause real problems (for example you can’t complete March of Barbarossa from Gallipoli now).

I just did that one from Gallipoli, albeit on easiest difficulty and with a few saves and loads. Was also pleased to see the final mission was still pretty cheesable :).

But yeah, the list of what should be “known issues” could fill a book, so it is not surprising that we get the ostrich response instead to most of them.

1 Like

I just hope the camera panning stutter is seen as an issue and given priority. I don’t know if it’s only certain systems (or just me?) that has the issue, but the game is basically unplayable for me (perhaps because I’m spoiled on other games which have smooth panning).

I have a feeling that everyone has the issue because that’s just how the game is right now, maybe it’s even inherent to the engine for some reason. I really hope that’s not the case.

1 Like

Well i’m not playing until it’s fixed.

2 Likes

I had this problem during the beta, then on release the game was fixed. Then this latest patch the issue returned. So frustrating! Especially since it was working perfectly last patch. I wonder if some of their performance optimizations are what is causing this weird frame timing issue. My frame rate counter in game reads 90fps but the game feels like it is running at 20fps, stuttering that is especially notable when moving the mouse to scroll the screen. I hope that it will be fixed next patch so that I can play with my friends.

Specs:
i7 4790k at 4.0ghz
12GB ddr3 ram
GTX 980 latest drivers

It’s not the case, the game was buttery smooth for me last patch, only some people are affected by this stuttering, sluggish performance glitch.

2 Likes

Nothing being done, sad.

There is a large patch coming this month , and it contains performance improvements

Not true, everyone on the current patch, and I mean 100% everyone is affected by the frame skip. It isn’t hardware specific.

Use a CRT or motion blur reduction to scroll, and you’ll see the frame still skips when in Age 2 vanilla it didn’t, nor does it skip for any other game.

The game has a frame skip problem, period.

Nero, will the upcoming patch address the latter issue (with the choppiness of the camera panning that I and others have posted about)?

On my machine a tiny map 1v1 with vsync on shows no stuttering or chop at all, but on a ludicrous map with 7 AI there is some minor hitching. It seems to be less than what i see in the videos and It’s definitely not enough to bother me, though it may be different for you. I hope even if it’s not perfect it’s better than before.

There is also a bunch of other performance updates which could help as well, please let us know how you go after the update.

Well, I just tried the new update. It’s hard to say if and/or how much better the stuttering is, but I still notice it pretty easily.

I did two different panning speeds. It looks better when you go slower but it’s still noticeable. At faster panning speeds you can see how the trees kind of “lurch” against the dark background. It seems pretty obvious, to me.

What gives?

Edit: Just turned on v-sync and it’s fairly substantial improvement. Something is still wrong when v-sync is disabled. As a g-sync user, I always play with v-sync disabled. So something is apparently still up. I’d rather not be forced to play with v-sync enabled. And even at that, there is still some noticeable stuttering (when v-sync is enabled).

Edit #2: I disabled g-sync and tested again with v-sync disabled/enabled. It’s hard to say, but both seem to feel a bit better (in terms of stutter) than when g-sync is enabled.

On a positive note, I do see an improvement with v-sync enabled (at least when I also have g-sync enabled, which is kind of pointless), so it seems like it’s moving in the right direction. I just hope that it improves further and that the game becomes more friendly with g-sync, if that is indeed where the issue lies (or at least one of them).

Edit #3: Alright, I did some more extensive testing. I captured four different modes (all combinations of G-Sync and V-Sync on/off) with the high speed camera on my iPhone X. What I seem to have found is that unless both G-Sync and V-Sync are enabled, screen tearing occurs, as well as what I can only describe as uneven frame timing (perhaps because I don’t know the correct terminology).

If you pause the video and use the comma and period buttons on your keyboard you can advance frame by frame. And if you do this throughout the different modes, you will notice where screen tearing occurs (the top portion of the image starts to update before the bottom portion for example). You will also notice that advancing frame by frame does not advance the image at the same rate from one mode to the next, and sometimes the number of button presses required to fully update the image varies even within the same mode.

So, to summarize, the best experience seems to be to have both G-Sync AND V-Sync enabled. This seems to prevent screen tearing and seems to have the most evenly spaced frames. However, to my eye, it seems that some kind of stuttering still occurs even when both G-Sync and V-Sync are enabled.

Best practices for G-Sync users states that V-Sync should be disabled within the game. If this is done, however, and only G-Sync is enabled (as it should be), then problems occur as described above. Problems as described above also occur if only V-Sync is enabled (so these issues don’t only affect G-Sync users). As a G-Sync user I should not have to have V-Sync enabled to avoid these problems (unless something is broken). It seems clear that something is not exactly functioning as it should be…

Furthermore, and I didn’t pay a ton of attention to this, but it seems as if my FPS was not decreasing accordingly when v-sync was enabled and seemed to remain mostly similar to what it was previously, and also seemed to fluctuate quite a bit even when doing nothing.

Yeah, you should enable vsync so that the game will just lock the fps to your refresh rate. Without that the fps will fluctuate = stutter even with gsync on / very visible tearing.

As for using the right click scrolling that seems to operate on a lower framerate at least when it comes to the camera movement. I think you should try switching that feature back to the legacy behavior, it’s faster and smoother.

And yeah, generally there is a bit of a “ghosting” effect or something like that when you scroll the map even with vsync on but that just seems to be how the engine operates, maybe it’s to save on a bit of resources / make streaming easier, I dunno. It’s consistent though so you just get used to it and the game will feel smooth now.

Edit: You can also try disabling the sharpening filter the game has, stuff like that can produce weird things when the camera is changing rapidly though I haven’t noticed that in this game.