Militia bonus damage to trash units?

M@A doesnt need buff. M@A rush can be very oppressive.

Then, I believe infantry UU should get a relevant buff. Samurai, beserk should get 1 more MA and more HP. Woad raiders should get 1 more PA etc.

4 Likes

I think it’s a potential idea. It might be too much, considering civ bonuses. So maybe better to stagger it across patches?

For example viking champs will have 96hp, up from 84. While zerks have 74 hp. So would make zerks even less appealing, meaning they would need a buff.

Teuton champs with 80hp and 7MA
 I think maybe makes them more cost effective than TK in a number of matchups(I’m only guessing because iirc Burmese Champs are already just barely more cost effective than TK)

2 Likes

I agree some infantry UU should get a buff, but that should be analized in every particular case
 I don’t think a unit like Ghulam should get a buff, but I can agree with Samurai or Berserkers
 anyways there just to many units to analyze in a simple post.

4 Likes

This has been discussed sometimes.
Especially bonus damage vs Scout-line (from longsword) is definitely needed for the diverse playstyle in lategame. Champion simply cannot win against FU Hussar. Only win in head-to-head fight slightly and fall behind A LOT for mobility, bad against other engagements like vs archers, seige.

Late game with gold-limiting situation for both players are simply expand over 80 villagers to farming eco, just queue up Hussar forever and try to raid to death opponent. Most ugly part of this game I think. Because in late game no Unit can trade cost-efficiently vs Hussar except slow and bad raiding unit Halb. Civ with better stat of hussar have significant advantage here.

Champion switch in late game is actually very rare. Reward players switch to champion to beat trash unit is our way to go for more diverse play style in gold limiting situation. They should win vs Hussar more definitely and since they are also good vs building, it makes late game more dynamics and help game end definitely.

3 Likes

No, there should not be a “trash units” armour class, and militia should not deal bonus damage against pikes etc. The very idea is disgusting :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

Giving the scout line the “eagle” armour class sounds like an interesting proposal. (Credit to @MatCauthon3)
M@A could be more interesting in feudal if they did +2 damage vs scouts.

The eagle armour class would need to be renamed if it applied to the scout line, not that I have any good ideas for that.

What, the scout armor class?

1 Like

They (m@a) don’t need further buffs and this would further push the mrts into m@a into archers.

Fair point, I wouldn’t want m@a archers to dominate too much.

On the other hand people hardly ever make any m@a after the initial 3-5.

If scouts were to receive the “eagle” archer class, it might be an idea to increase the m@a upgrade cost, decreasing the longsword upgrade cost by the same amount.
That way adding more m@a becomes more interesting, m@a archers becomes a bit more double edged, and longswords don’t suffer from the change.

The militia line should be allowed to build military buildings at 0.25X-0.5X of the villager’s build rate

They should have a purpose in the game and not be just less mobile mele damage dealers

The only way maa spam would work in feudal is if their speed was similar to archers. That’s why you can never spam them.

In aoe4 the civs with access to maa’s in feudal are high cost and high armour units and have almost the same speed as archers.

I wouldn’t mind having a militia line slightly stronger and higher cost (ex: higher gold cost so it’s not so punishing in Castle) while still maintaining similar cost effectiveness vs trash.

wipe out spearmen, sure . but Skirms? nahhhhhh. But I would buff champion instead of Milita, champion needs extra stats or cheaper to be viable.

champion and 2handed swordsman

Champion, 2handed Swordman and Longswordman.

short of some absolutely massive buffs, you’re not likely to see longsword that much.

those massive buffs? would also necessitate offsetting nerfs to some of the militia lines advantages.

They should be cheaper.
750f/350g → 600f/300g
100 sec → 80 sec

This one is not that much necessary. But I won’t mind a bit lower cost and more importantly upgrade time.
300f/100g → 250f/100g
75 sec → 60 sec

2 Likes

that is one change i can get behind. reducing the upgrade cost and time.

4 Likes

Dravidians and Bulgarians have discount on their upgrades but they don’t use Militia-line just like other civs. Militia-line needs stat increase (more hp, armor, speed, bonus attack etc.), upgrade cost won’t make it viable.

funny - i literally just saw infantry used quite a few times in the recent t90 titans tournament.
guess they are viable.

what you want is not viable. you want them to compete with knights and archers. the buffs for that to happen would require offsetting nerfs to validate.

2 Likes

and I am also seeing militia-line being used only few times, they are very rare unit to be used.

I didn’t say that. I only said they need to be viable because Militia-line is a unit placed in the game by Devs, if a unit exist in the game, it meant to be viable.

they are a support unit, that is why. they see situational use where they do excel though.

and it is viable. it is one of the strongest openers in the game, and it’s solid in the late game when gold is running out.
it’s weak in the mid game and when gold is plentiful, as it’s not meant to compete against most gold units.

you are confusing VIABLE with something else. they are a viable option - they just aren’t VIABLE at every stage of the game. if you want the latter, you’re looking at a complete balance overhaul