[Minor Natives topic] Post here your ideas for every single minor natives so the devs can look at

Muisca and Jivaro are my top picks for the region.

It isn’t. It’s not hard but it takes a while. And notice that Holman Spearman uses the pikeman model. They would have to copy and paste Gascenya’s model and rebuild the design to create Holcan, adapt the animations and then the skin.

But the issue is not that. The issue is that they are apparently busy with the dlc and they’ve been recreating maps and improving QoL.

They’ve never remodeled a single unit since the game was released, so I think it takes a designer a lot of hours to do it but the team would rather have them focused on maps, new units, campaigns, new maps, bugs etc. Obviously it’s jjust my 2 cents about it and I ight be completely wrong. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@ Jonasnee8581
Thank you Jonas!

1. I think you are absolutely right. I’m editing it right now so it can be much more simple and effective.

2. About the XP boost, you are also right: it isn’t worth the resources. But do remember that there are cards that can cut the cost drastically (Native Lore removes all coin, African and Asian civs have even better techs). And if someone pulls out this tech it would be worth half of the Spanish civ (+27%xp) in terms of fights (+10% xp). Maya Spearman himself would be worth a single spanish unit. So if it works it will be just roll! That’s why I set the bar a bit higher.

3. And for the last time: you are right! Holcan alone isn’t worth it, but the issue is Heavy Infantry themselves. That’s why I always add overall effects a “plus” for native units in every tech to promote them and attract players: every time you are buffing something for your civ, you are also boosting that native unit too.

ZAPOTEC
I couldn’t find too much unique things to add them as technologies that have not been added so far. I’ve added references to their Cult of Dead and Mesoamerican civs overall.

https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Zapotec

NEW TECHS

• Zapotec Logosyllabic System (150w, 100c): The old Zapotecs’ hieroglyphs allows training at buildings.
    Effect: Zapotec Lightning warrior can be trained at your military buildings. Melee heavy infantry can be trained at Zapotec sites.
    Why: Filler tech. I couldn’t think of anything for it but If I can figure it out something interesting I’ll add here.

Lore: The Zapotec hieroglyphs record the rise and fall of the Zapotec state between 500 B.C. to A.D. 700. This system is considered the precursor of the later developed by the Mayas, Mixtecs and Aztecs and spread widely in southwestern Mesoamerica. Famsi.org;

• Zapotec Obsidian Artifacts (150f, 150c): The Zapotec treasures can help you uncover more misteries.
    Effect: Native warriors, Explorer and settlers get +1.0x multiplier vs treasure guardians and every treasure claimed also awards 50c. Zapotec Lightning Warrior gets +0.25 speed.
    Why: At first I would add a military improvement but Zapotec ended up having too many. I have no idea what to add here. Filler.

Lore: Obsidian was a highly integrated part of daily and ritual life, and its widespread and varied use may be a significant contributor to Mesoamerica’s lack of metallurgy. Field Musem- Zapotec archaeology; Youtube- Mesoamerican weaponry; Worldhistory

• Zapotec Heritage Urn (200w, 250c): Zapotec Cult of dead will grant new warriors for each one fallen so far. Can be used two times: second time has double the cost.
    Effect 1: Ships 1 Zapotec Lightning Warrior for each 2 you have lost so far (up to a maximum of 15).
    Effect 2: Ships 1 Zapotec Lightning Warrior for each 4 you have lost so far (up to a maximum of 15). Boost the HP and hand damage of all ZLW by 10%.
    Why: Okay. I’ve copied this one from the newest cards of their cousin: the Aztec. I think it fits them better than the Aztec but I didn’t want to throw away the tech below. They are quite inferior to JPK and SK, so this tech also boosts their stats.

• Zapotec Ancestry Honor (250w, 250c): The Zapotec afterlife cults present in their culture, boosts the damage of Zapotec Lightning Warrior.
    Effect: Boost the hand damage of all current Zapotec Lightning Warrior by +25% damage for 5s, for each of their units who are killed while they are alive. Up to +50% damage and 10s. Adds -0.5x multiplier (damage penalty) vs cavalry.
    Why: .That is similar to the Maya tech. Giving 50% damage at once is too much but making it cheap and temporary balances it out. This is the specific tech of Zapotec Lightning Warrior.

Lore: The Zapotec worshiped their ancestors and, believing in a paradisaical underworld, stressed the cult of the dead. The afterlife cults inherited from these beliefs are symbolically celebrated on the Dia de los Muertos - Day of the Dead. The representations of skeletons, humans or animals and figurines of the goddess Micanteculi (the Zapotec Goddess of death) are found commonly during the event. Easyvoyage; Infoplease

SUGGESTION FOR CURRENT TECHS

Zapotec Food of the Gods: Horrible. They have the same tech as the Maya but it cost 50% more (and Maya’s isn’t even that good :roll_eyes:). Considering thy were an agricultural people the tech could boost arms more than the toher sources: as 15% or 20%
Zapotec Cult of the Dead: It used to be fair but hand infantry is so bad nowadays. Reducing the cost or buffing it a bit should make the use worth it.
Zapotec Cloud People: Sounds fair. Not great and not bad.

2 Likes

This unit is the unit that replaces the jaguar warrior, so the updates and stats should be similar. The price and speed of jaguar warriors were recently altered to improve their viability. The Lightning Warriors should readjust accordingly.

I tried to find an argument that would give them more speed, but I think could have good speed without the need for improvements.

2 Likes

I’ve wanted to use your suggestions bout the Zapotec but I couldn’t think of a way to implement them: I liked the XP on death thing you said! We may stick a speed bonus somewhere in the techs. You should post more too!. :smiley:

As far as I could find Zapotec were basically a cousin of Aztecs and Mayas in terms of culture, they all had: cotton armor, sacrifices, lots of gods, obsidian and stone weapons, slingers, agriculture-based blah blah blah. They also used Macuahuitl just like the Skull Knight.

This unit is the unit that replaces the jaguar warrior, so the updates and stats should be similar. The price and speed of jaguar warriors were recently altered to improve their viability. The Lightning Warriors should readjust accordingly.

Although Jaguar Warriors were exclusively from Aztecs I’ve found paintings and pics of Jaguar warriors in vases, urns and walls too so it made me think they were not exactly “equals”. Apparently just for worship:

Aztecs way of war was much more dominant

Actually Zapotec were belligerently inferior to Aztecs. The Aztec army, which had Jaguar Warriors, conquered much more area, were much more dominant and engaged many more wars than Zapotecs: actually, when they knew Aztecs were losing to the Spanish, they actually decided to avoid war at all costs against them. Nevertheless, they were defeated by the Spaniards only after several campaigns in just five years

Difference: Aztec Wars and Warriors vs. Zapotec Wars and Warriors
  • A difference is that Aztecs took the wars to a whole other level. While the Zapotecs simply waged war to expand their territory the Aztecs would wage a war for something trivial.

• War was never a big part of Zapotecan religion. This is completely different from the Aztecs. The Aztecs waged war to get more people to worship their God, Huitzilopotlchi. Every conquered city must convert or be killed. The Aztecs sacrificed so many that they started a whole set of wars, the Flowery Wars, because they ran out of people to sacrifice.

SOURCE: Aztec vs Zapotec Comparison - Aztec Comparisons

Dominance
1 Like

I can’t think of any more ideas related to Native Americans for now. Although I would like to see a tupi unit with firearms, a musketeer if it is historically feasible.

About the Asian populations I would like to see improvements or related technologies with the Silk Road. For example, an improvement that makes shipments arrive almost instantaneously, or to be able to configure the trade route to receive outlaw units or native allies. There is a mission in nathaniel black’s campaign where the trade route delivers villagers. I would like to see something similar.

I would also like some technology that makes Rattan Shields get a bonus against artillery and infantry (skirmish and archers). Although someone mentioned in this forum that this unit is not historically accurate.

The Zapotec lightning warriors with increasing their speed would look good. They would honor its name.

One of the reasons that minor civs aren’t picked is because the underwhelming wood inversion.

What if minor civs TP give you a pasive or one time bonus based on the minor civ?

I really wish wood wasn’t so slow to gather in AoE4 and AoE3, especially given the cheapest buildings in AoE3 are over 100 wood.

Also, I really like TAR’s native heroes. I kinda wish more civs had that.

Yes, I think the same. A passive upgrade without the need for upgrades. Something similar to the allies of the Asian consulate.

The improvement I proposed on the Caribs was based on a mission from the Morgan Black campaign, where they get lost in the Caribbean and find some navigational maps guarded by pirates, but they were not directly related to the natives. An improvement like that seemed like a good idea to me and that’s why I looked for something more truthful.

New improvement:

Caribbean knowledge: Shipments arrive 15% faster and cost 15% less experience. It also reveals all the mines on the map. The Caribbean natives give you geographic information about the sea and the islands, and will warn you of hurricane seasons.
Being an ally of the Caribs you will have better control and mapping of the islands and the Caribbean Sea, and trips to the continental territory will be easier to carry out. You will be able to trade and transport yourself more easily, and your island settlements will be able to restock supplies much easier.
The Caribs have a great geographical knowledge of the Caribbean region and navigate the ocean without problems. They are also aware of hurricane seasons and will share the knowledge so you know the proper seasons for boating.

“The first exchanges between Europeans and indigenous peoples included gold ornaments, fish, cassava, water, cotton and exotic birds. In return, they received glass beads, bells, caps, pieces of broken bowls, fragments of glass cups, brass rattles, laces, pins, canvas shirts, coloured cloths, scissors and knives, which were of little value. These exchanges were viewed by the Europeans as mechanisms to establish alliances with indigenous caciques, besides obtaining their favours, geographic information on the presence of gold and generating a favourable image for the communities that they encountered or would go on to encounter (Las Casas Reference Las Casas1875: volume 1, 306–25).”

“The explicit settlement pattern and management of regional and local space, in addition to the mixture of material culture styles in the northern Hispaniolan sites, allude to the social and cultural diversity of the region experienced by the Europeans at the time of contact. It reflects a connected environment, an aspect taken advantage of by the Europeans during their first explorations of the interior of the island, which laid the foundations for a route that would become instrumental in carrying out colonial domination, which itself is characterised by the establishment of a system of fortifications. In this sense, the spheres or lines of social interaction between indigenous communities, from pre-colonial moments onward, cemented a regional history marked by coexistence, interaction and transculturation. Finally, the persistence of indigenous cultural traditions and knowledge in the present-day Dominican Republic and Haiti strongly counters the idea of substitution, displacement or disappearance as suggested by the traditional historical criteria”.

Hurricanes have ravaged the Caribbean for millennia. The cycles of activity have varied, but the massive storms have always presented a threat. Centuries ago, long before the advent of weather forecasting, the storms in and around the Caribbean inflicted so much catastrophic damage that it seems remarkable people remained. But they did, and they rebuilt. Now, as we enter an uncertain era marked by a warming planet, the resilience of these communities will be tested again and again.

For the indigenous Taíno and Carib people who populated the Caribbean islands in the pre-Columbian exchange years, the storms were part of the cycle of their seasons—feared, but expected. The Carib, from the Lesser Antilles, were skilled navigators on the water and scheduled the launch of their raiding party canoes for early winter, past what is recognized today as the June-to-November hurricane season, notes Yale history professor Stuart Schwartz in Sea of Storms, his history of Caribbean hurricanes*.*

“There’s even evidence Europeans relied on Indians to tell them when hurricanes were coming,” Schwartz said. The indigenous islanders read signs in the way birds and fish behaved, the color of the sun, and abrupt shifts in the breeze. “The Indians are so skillful that they know two or three or four days beforehand the coming of it,” one Englishman wrote in 1638.

To avoid confusion that is how it would look:

Caribbeans

New technologies:

Caribbean knowledge: Shipments arrive 15% faster and cost 15% less experience. It also reveals all the mines on the map. The Caribbean natives give you geographic information about the sea and the islands, and will warn you of hurricane seasons.
Being an ally of the Caribs you will have better control and mapping of the islands and the Caribbean Sea, and trips to the continental territory will be easier to carry out. You will be able to trade and transport yourself more easily, and your island settlements will be able to restock supplies much easier.
The Caribs have a great geographical knowledge of the Caribbean region and navigate the ocean without problems. They are also aware of hurricane seasons and will share the knowledge so you know the proper seasons for boating.

Native browsers. Fishing boats and canoes are cheaper (-15% wood).
In addition, all ships increase your field of vision.

New unit:
’Dugout canoes’: Especially large canoe, more efficient for fishing than other canoes, and also with better attack. Enabled at the dock. (Creation limit of 10)

4 Likes

Navajo minor civ

I would make one big change
I would add a new tech wich will alloud you to train 5 extra sheeps and increase your sheep population limit.
With a extra tech wich make cheep/ cow booming intresting. Like cheaper livestock pen and extra gather rate.

Because sheeps where very importend for this tribe.

4 Likes

I proposed a tech like that in my post about the Navajo :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. Yeah: their singular shepherds tech is okay but kind of “dry”.

@ArkadasLlisa

There’s a card called Native Lore, which is a quite useless one. A good rework I proposed for this card would be “change native unit cost from wood to coin” instead of the current one.

It currently makes native improvements cost no coin but natives themselves have such a few techs and several of them are situational that it became a dead weight. If we increase the average amount of techs (just like to the ones from TAR) this card goes from F tier to D/C tier.

Yep, some people have suggested such a passive but I’m really thorn about it because DE has got so many trickles and travois that it sort of killing the “old school” in my opinion. The devs gave Taverns a coin trickle and people are already complaining about USA shenanigans.

@OperaticShip743

I’m drying out of unique ideas. I still have a handful of them in my pocket but it’s hard not think of just messing with damage, cost, speed etc. I think I’ll just copy techs from natives who will never be on the same maps and change the effects from now on, like Cree & Yoruba or Caribbeans & Zen.

I am researching the Shaolin and the Zen. I already showed a small preview above, but I will show you more consolidated soon.

Bhakti Temple has yet to be investigated, but it is a bit difficult to investigate. I would like a camel type unit.

Differently of the American and African natives, the Asian Natives have two unique concepts: the religious/race/faction of the religious site and the race/faction of the unit.

They are, for most part different of each other, so it should be easier.

The canoes present in the game are already dugout canoes. What is in that picture is, specifically, a Haida gelwa, which is an incredibly massive dugout canoe due to the size of the trees they were able to make their canoes from.
The Haida are on the Pacific Northwest, however, so if you want to reference that specifically, add the Haida to those maps. I’d rather the Haida were a full civ, but if they were a minor civ, they could realistically be on any map on the west coast from Alaska to Yucatan, as their raiding was far-reaching and they could be presented as “Haida Raiding Camp” that you could ally with.

6 Likes

Haida is my #1 pick if another native civ were added, but I seriously doubt they raided southern Mexico.

Haida had slaves ranging from Aztecs to Inuits, and even stories of raiding Hawaii. They went everywhere their canoes could get them.

Edit: It’d be more accurate to say Nahuatl slaves than Aztec.

1 Like

Any sources on that? It would be super interesting if they actually had Nahuatl slaves. Inuit slaves sound quite plausible for them though.

1 Like

Shaolin

I like all the current improvements and technologies. What would I add …?

New improvements:

Anti-Pirate Repellency: Shaolin warriors gain bonuses against Treasure Guardians, Outlaws, and Mersenaries at 1.5. Also the trading posts are more resistant.
These warriors will protect the commerce from pirate incursions and will guarantee the safety of the merchants, for which the commercial routes will be more safe.

Buddhist diets: All units cost 5% less food and you collect food crops faster by 5%, and berries by 20%.
A Buddhist diet inhibits the consumption of meat and encourages the consumption of vegetables.

2 Likes

Sry i didnt see your comment about extra sheeps.

I prefer a tech wich alloud you to train 5 sheeps very cheap en raise your sheep limit bij 5.
A passive sheep income is to OP. The rest sounds good.:slight_smile: