[Minor Natives topic] Post here your ideas for every single minor natives so the devs can look at

UDASI

UDASI: Udasi Temple | Age of Empires Series Wiki | Fandom

Overview
Pretty mediocre minor civilization with pretty uninteresting and situational effects. The focus is giving them much more variety while adapting sikh culture and applying to both the unit and the lore.

NEW TECHS

• Langar (150f, 150c)​: Sikh community kitchen provides a steady income of food to your people
    New Effect: Gives a trickle 1.2 food/s. For each Udasi Temple you control increase this food trickle by 0.6 food.
    Why:​ I had made one like this, but for coin. This one promotes the maintainance of the alliance (1.8f) since it provides less income if you lose their trading post. It cost food so you can only see the benefit quite some time after .

Lore: “A langar is the community kitchen of a gurdwara (place of assembly and worship for Sikhs), which serves meals to all free of charge, regardless of religion, caste, gender, economic status, or ethnicity. The meals served at a langar are always vegetarian.”
Langar_(Sikhism)

• Udasi Science of Weapons (200w, 200c)​: Build this alliance so the Sikh can set up bootcamps and train your army more efficiently.
    New Effect: Ships 2 military rickshaws (builds barracks, stables, War Hut…). Train time of all military units -5%.
    Why:​This technology promotes the discipline and respect of Shastar Vidya. Udasi also lacks military improvements, so this one is pretty straightforward and attractive to any civilization.

Lore: “Sanatan Shastar Vidya” is a centuries-old Indian battlefield art which translates to “the science of weapons”. Since the mid-16th century, the Sikh tribes of the Punjab became the chief custodians and masters of this fighting system. In North India it is believed that this art is the father of all martial arts. Shastar Vidya

• Gatka (250w, 250c)​: Sikh martial arts are taught to your soldiers.
    New Effect: All land Siege Units cost -10% wood and do 20% more siege damage. Siege troopers also gain 20% more HP.
    Why:​ Siege unit is a class rare to be mentioned in natives sites, specially siege troopers. Chakram is one of the few siege troopers in the game and the only one belonging to a native site, therefore they gain an extra buff.

Lore: "Gatka is a form of martial art associated primarily with the Sikhs of the Punjab and other related ethnic groups. It has been handed down in an unbroken lineage of Ustads (masters), and taught in many akharas (arenas) around the world.
Gatka was employed in the Sikh wars and has been thoroughly battle tested. It originates from the need to defend dharam (righteousness), but is also based on the unification of the spirit and body (miri piri). It is, therefore, generally considered to be both a spiritual and physical practise.
Shastar Vidya

REWORKED TECHS

• Punjabi New Year: Villagers gather from Mills, Farms, Rice Paddies, and Plantations 10% faster; Livestock fattens 10% faster when tasked to Livestock Pens, Farms, and Villages;
    New Effect: Also: crates deliver 10% more resources. Cost goes up to 250f, 250c.
    Why This technology is not impressive at all. Having “+10%” for something else.
5 Likes

It would be great if you added the Guaycuru peoples as a minor civilization on South American maps, and added a horseman who fights this way.

3 Likes

Hey that’s exactly the same way Lakota cavalry would fire their bows

APACHE

APACHE: Apache | Age of Empires Series Wiki | Fandom

Overview: It’s “ok”. Not great, not bad. The technologies are useful but generic. It’s one of the most obvious examples that having more than 3 techs would consolidate them as “good”.
D.E. nerfed their bonus vs villagers but nowadays I can’t see a player using Apache Raiders, killing vils and being labeled as "broken"nowadays.

NEW TECHS

• Apacheria (175f, 150c)​: Know that this region is controlled by the Apaches as they go out for food.
    New Effect: Delivers up to three random livestock animals whose total food is equal to 300. Boost hunting gather rate by 10%. Your next economic tech at a economic building (e.g: market, livestock pen, estate, rice paddy, granary…) is 50% cheaper.
    Why:​ This one nice because you can combo with Navajo techs. It was supposed to be limited to hunts and livestock but some civilizations have buildings with everything altogether (Mexico), so it wouldn’t be fair.
    It delivers “X” sheeps and/or cows, HOWEVER the sum of all their stored food is equal to 300 food.

Lore: “Apachería was the term used to designate the region inhabited by the Apache people. They obtained food from four main sources: hunting wild animals, gathering wild plants, growing domesticated plants or trading with or raiding neighboring tribes for livestock and agricultural products”
Apache - wikipedia

• Apache Band Raids (200w, 200c)​: The raids are more intense as the Apache collect bounties and values.
    New Effect: Everytime you destroy buildings controlled by your enemies, you earn coin equal to half of their wood cost.
    Why:​ Just to ackownledge their raiding, however the effect is rather “shy” so it is applied by any of your units and not only Apache Cavalry.

Lore: “Local groups comprised loose confederations called bands. The bands were territorial units, not formal political groups. Historically, the Apache had raided enemy tribes and sometimes each other, for livestock, food or captives. They raided with small parties, for a specific economic purpose”.
Apache Wars - wikipedia

• Apache Sentinels (400f, 400c)​: Apache sentinels inform you they are aware of enemies and ready to surprise them.
    New Effect: For 45s:
    Your land units (except siege units) take 15% less damage and gain +6 LOS (if they are under your Town Center’s LOS they take -30% instead). Delivers 3 Apache Sentinels and increases the damage of all Apache Cavalry/Sentinels by 10% (Apache Sentinels are Apache Cavalry with +2 range/LOS).

Why:​ This idea is inspired by the Dionysius’s Bronze god power of AOM: it is meant to be a defensive technology but it might be used offensively too. The concept is having Sentinels that will inform you of enemies and help you to fight. Think of it like a “Minutemen”.

Lore: " In 19th-century confrontations during the American-Indian wars, the U.S. Army found the Apache to be fierce warriors and skillful strategists."
Apache Wars- wikipedia

REWORKED TECHS

• Apache Raiders (Apache Cavalry multiplier vs. villager +1.0x):
    Rework: Multiplier goes to 1.5x or vanilla’s x2. OR the bonus is 1.5x bonus on Commerce Age and becomes 2x on Fortress Age and beyond.
    Why: It could’ve been a good balance in Vanilla but D.E. has so many things way over the top that it became obsolete:
    Raiding with Apache Raiders’ 33 bonus dmg with the sole porpose of killing villagers nowadays with so many skirmishes, Musks, Forts, buildings with garrison and Towers is just a dream. When you reach Fortress Age this tech DRASTICALLY loses its value.
2 Likes

And Comanche!

1 Like

For South America, native units of cavalry and firearms are needed.

This, and the rank of 18 of the Cree must return.

1 Like

TUPI

TUPI: Tupi | Age of Empires Series Wiki | Fandom

Overview

Overall a very good minor civilization. In my opinion they just need more improvements.

NEW TECHS

• Tupi Guarana Seeds (400f, 400c)​: Consuming guarana will improve the HP and damage of all your units.
    New Effect: All units get +5% hit points and attack.
    Why:​ I don’t like proposing “dry” HP and damage buffs, but I feel the lore matches the effect. It applies to land and water units. It’s like Team Shivaji’s tactics

Lore: Folklore: The Tupi-Guarani mythology tells a story of a young boy graced by the great god Tupan but killed by an evil deity. Their parents, saddened by his death, buried his eyes on a fertile land (through a sign of Tupan) and from that place the Guarana plant grew, providing fruits like the eyes of the young lad. The Legend of Guaraná
Herbology: As a dietary supplement or herb, guaraná seed (native to the Amazon basin and especially common in Brazil) is an effective stimulant: it contains about twice the concentration of caffeine found in coffee beans. Guarana - wikipedia

• River Fishing (250w, 250c)​: The Tupi and other tribes fish.
    New Effect: Boats gather yield rate +20% (aka: fish last 20% longer). Delivers 2 Canoes and canoes fish 10% faster.
    Why:​ Fishing was an important part of Tupi culture, specially to the ones nearby Amazon River. I didn’t add anything regarding farming because it is too common.

Lore: Agriculture, hunting, fishing and gathering of fruits were also based on Indian traditions". Tupi people - wikipedia

• Urucum Body Painting Ceremony (250f, 250c)​: The Pajés start a ceremony with body painting to strength your units.
    New Effect: Delivers 1 pajé (Medicine man). Heroes and units that already regenerate HP (before this tech) do it faster when idle.
    Economic units can regenerate life points now but only when idle (2HP/s).
    Native warriors gain +10% damage.

Why:​ I would like to keep giving original or unique effects. This one takes a bit of each characteristics of body painting. Only a few units have auto healing (heroes, Spahi and a few others) so this tech is pretty cheap.

Lore: It is also known as achiote but it may also be referred by its original Tupi name uruku , urucu or urucum (“red color”), which is also used for the body paint prepared from its seeds.Urucum - wikipedia
Body painting has several meanings: rites of passage, group or individual protection, wedding ceremonies, mourning or healing ceremonies, or the warrior or religious function
; Body painting- arte indigena
Article - Indian paintings: ethnicity & identity- in portuguese

• Tupi Black Forest Echoes (200w, 200c)​: Inside the deep forest they live in, the Tupi natives know the paths and terrain.
    New Effect: Reveals the line of sight of the enemy for 12. When they detect a tree: Pets, Explorers, settlers and archers move 10% faster and buildings have +10% hitpoints.
    Why:​ This one is more based on the richness and extension of Amazon back in the 16th century and the fact Tupi tribes dominated South America. It benefits the ones who would “explore” the forests as well as archers and pets. It’s the “cousin” of Youruba Herbalism.

Lore: “As you walk through the rainforest, you may be surprised by how dark it is. Because of the dense canopy of leaves and tree branches above, only a tiny amount of light actually reaches the forest floor. As a consequence, plant growth on the forest floor in undisturbed rainforest is often limited. The landscape is instead dominated by large tree trunks.” Visiting the Amazon Rainforest

REWORKED TECHS

• Tupi Poison Arrow Frogs (Archers get +10% attack):
    Rework: Archers get +15% ranged attack. Tupi Blackwood Archer’s arrows do poison damage.
    Why: Why not?

* Tupi Animal Lore (Town Centers and heroes can train Buttercup the Pet Cougars):
Rework: Also: Pets have +10% Attack and HP
Why: There is not a single technology other than this one that is applied to pets. I know they are gimmick but whatever.

5 Likes

On maps where whales don’t make sense, there should be infinite sources of fish. It could be that they yield -10% than ordinary fishing so that initially limited fishing is prioritized. It would be a good approach to rework the map of the Amazon.

1 Like

Even AOE2 had that fish trap that was virtually a infinite source of fishing. I don’t know AOE3 never had a such a thing

Zen Temple

Good technologies, but I think very expensive.

Current improvements:

Meritocracy: Meritocracy is a technology in Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties that can be researched at a Trading Post built on a Zen Temple settlement. Once researched, it reduces the cost of unit upgrades by 20%.

If you’ve already invested wood in the TP, I think you’ve already made a good investment, so making it cheaper would improve its biability. It will cost -100 of each resource (From 300 gold and food, it will cost 200 of each)

Meditation: Meditation is a technology in Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties that can be researched at a Trading Post built on a Zen Temple settlement. As soon as it is researched, the player will receive 1,000 XP.

The effects scale according to the age you are.

1000 xp in age II
1500 xp in age III
2000 xp in age IV
3000 xp in age V

Master Lessons: Master Lessons is a technology in Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties that can be researched at a Trading Post built on a Zen Temple settlement. Once researched, it increases the attack of melee infantry by 10%.

In addition to this, it now improves Sohei Warriors by 15%. I think this would be the most attractive aria to use.

New improvements:

Kaihōgyō: This demanding test elevates your warrior monks to a new level.

Causes the speed of Sohei warriors to increase by 15% and each warrior generates a slight thread of experience (0.5 xp / s), but they train slower by -20% and the experience reward for the enemy for killing them increases 30%.

“The kaihōgyō (回 峰 行) (“circling the mountain”) is an ascetic practice performed by Tendai Buddhist monks. The practice involves walking a route on Mount Hiei (the location of the Tendai school headquarters), the longest of which takes 1000 days to complete; all the while offering prayers at halls, shrines and other sacred places.”

Negoro-shū Sects: These sect have warrior monks with good skills in firearms.

Unlock a powerful short-range musketeer, but with melee tolerance and projectile tolerance. With ranged bonuses against heavy infantry and shock cavalry and infantry. Also makes firearm infantry train 5% faster.

“The Negoro-shū (根来衆) were an order of warrior monks based in Negoro-ji temple, in Japan’s Kii Province. They were famous for their skill with firearms, as well as with more traditional monk weapons like the naginata. Negoro-ji, along with many other warrior monasteries, came under siege at the end of the 16th century; in 1585, the temple was burned to the ground by the forces of Toyotomi Hideyoshi”.

2 Likes

The yamabushi and it belong to the Tendai, not the Zen.
Negoro-shū belong to the Shingon, not the Zen too.
Btw, the sohei archers basing on the ikko-ikki belong to the Jōdo Shinshū, still not the Zen.

As long as this temple is Zen Temple, they should not appear here.

You can check my similar ideas below.
I put them at Monastery, while I don’t define the school and sect of Monastery so they are reasonablly allowed at there.
The Negoro-shu could be presented by the Saika-shu (雑賀眾), which were similar and also the famous mercenary group with firearms. Since the Teppo Ashigaru (鉄砲足軽), the Ashigaru Musketeers which are renamed to a more accurate term in my version, are already good ranged heavy infantry, so I think the another Japanese firearm forces like the Saika-shu should be skirmisher-like mercenaries.

1 Like

For the map of ceylon why not add the sinhalese as the natives? The lascarins would be the unit coming out of the tp.

1 Like

TAD natives are not exactly “natives” but I don’t much about the sinhalese people.

Following the tradition that the Asian semi-civs should better be a kind of religion, I would like to introduce the Theravada Temple.

It can reasonable replace the Zen in the South and Southeast Asia. The Theravada Buddhism began to establish itself in Sri Lanka from the 3rd century BCE onwards. From Sri Lanka, the Theravāda tradition subsequently spread to the rest of Southeast Asia. Besides, the Zen Temple should not get out of Japan.

The unit of Theravada Temple can be the Flail Elephants which were said to have been a cavalry and siege unit fielded with the early armies of Sri Lanka. Just remove them from the Indians and adjust them to put them into the TP. The Indians could get Mysorean Rocket as the second castle units.

On the other hand, Lascarins can be introduced as mercenaries. Their situation is similar to the Zouave, who were natives recruited by the Europeans and serving as the colonial soldiers.
My suggestion for the Asian semi-civs.

Flail elephants are a fantasy unit and no one used elephants like that after the 15th century.
I guess a temple or religious building would work too.not sure if there are any unique monks in theravadic tradition.

The module of Flail Elephant is already there. Reusing the asset is one of the wise solutions.

The units of the religious sites do not necessary to be a monk-related unit though, such like Tiger Claws, War Elephants.

Btw, the Hui people (回族) would be reasonable to replace Sufi Mosque in some maps where should be no elephant, like the Mongolia.

Look for something related to the Sohei warriors, but I don’t know if it disassociates itself from religious doctrine. They seem to be linked, but I don’t know exactly how.

At least it could be used for future DLC.

Natives need to be on multiple maps to be viable so Tamils would be a better fit for Ceylon since they would also make sense for southern India and Malaysia and could reasonably appear in several other southeast Asia regions.

You mean sohei monks?

I basically learned they aligned themselves with the certain lords when convenient to defend themselves, maintain their influence or survive.
It was basically a political alliance but extremely risky because the temple would be perceived as enemy and wiped out if another Warlord won the wars

1 Like

So can my proposal make sense? XD