More info about Retold

Thanks for the link!

The article states:

“The hope there is that by making the game a bit more accessible, and helping it conform a bit better to modern expectations of what an RTS is, they can encourage some of the fun stories they’ve heard from players of the past Definitive Editions, whether that’s participating in a revitalized competitive play scene, watching tournaments organized by the community, discovering a classic, or enjoying a game they loved as a kid with their own kids.”

Making a game more accessible in the sense they probably mean often translates (in gaming) to a more watered-down experience, simplifying the game, making a lot more “auto” stuff, and making it rated “E” for Everyone, in an effort to appeal to the mainstream and everyone from Ages 6 thru 90. That’s usually a red flag for me… but we’ll see how it goes.

Even though this quote doesn’t mention just regular “adults” as a demographic – ones who don’t want to watch or participate in eSport tournaments and don’t want to play the game with their kids (maybe they don’t have any) – I hope that demographic isn’t excluded.

Also, ‘conforming a bit better to modern expectations of RTS’ is probably fine. But hopefully they do the Drag Scrolling idea noted here finally, which I’m pretty sure never made it into AoE2:DE: