More info about Retold

“Wake me up when September ends!” (if the game releases in October like most AoE games)

I honestly can’t wait to get my hands on AoMR. I kinda wish I could fast travel to October, despite the fact that I have a bunch of cool things planned for this year.
Gotta go visit the country with the most AoE2 wonders (I wonder how will figure that one out) even though I’ll “only” visit 3 of them, and then I also gotta fix my car.

I might be more hyped for this game then I was for AoE3DE.
It’s been a long time since I looked forward to a new game this much, but I very rarely buy new games on release so it doesn’t mean that much.

2 Likes

If devs do their job well, this game has much more future than AoE3. I would even dare to say that it could rival AoE2.

On the other hand, if the game is released poorly, and then devs take two years to release the first DLC, in that situation, I don’t take responsibility for my words

1 Like

I do really wonder how popular it will be (assuming the launch will be smoother then AoE3DE). the original game really never got the chance it deserved.
It was massively overshadowed by Warcraft 3 that just released a few months earlier and many people didn’t recognise it as an AoE game.

I only knew it was basically Age of Empires after I already played AoE3 so the graphics and everything felt outdated from the first moment I played the game.

Now AoMR has no major competition. Warcraft 3 reforged utterly failed and AoE2/3DE opened the path to successful well supported AoM game.

But since the setting is so unique the popularity could be anywhere between lower then AoE3DE and even overtaking AoE2DE.
Maybe AoE4 like popularity is the best bet. I wonder if it will suck up some other AoEs player base or have the opposite effect of getting more people into the series.

1 Like

AoM has always been a very fun game. However, it always suffered from the significant downgrade of low population, which greatly paled it in comparison to its siblings. We’re literally talking about armies of 15-20 units in the late game.

Warcraft also had low population. But it was a game designed to have low population due to the unit management

The reason I believe it could be a great success is that while the different communities of each AoE game are divided, they all seem to have some fondness for AoM. Within the AoE2 community, for example, there is a lot of excitement about AoM

1 Like

I don’t think that was much of an issue back then since the AoE1 campaign was limited to 50 population and the AoE2 one also just to 75.

I really hate low population restrictions personally but I don’t think it was seen as an issue back then.
But I could be wrong. AoE2 was mostly played with 200 pop in multiplayer already after all.

Yeah people very rarely talk bad about AoM. I think it gets a lot more good will then AoE3 because it is not called Age of Empires. It’s allowed to be different because it doesn’t make itself look like a successor to AoE2.
If AoE3 had a different name it would probably be more liked and less successful at the same time.

2 Likes

AoE1 was never a big success, and AoE2, as you rightly say, despite having 75 in the campaign (and considering that with that, you could already have larger armies than in AoM), had 200 limit in skirmish and multiplayer, which is what people played.

Personally, I watch high-level AoM matches, and when it gets to the late game and you have 15 units fighting vs. 15 units, it bores me even to watch, so I turn it off

I totally see why the low population is a big issue in retrospect, that’s why it is one of the things they announced that they will change, but I wonder if it was already a deal breaker for people back then.
Not sure if 2002 hardware could have handled more.
AoE3 also only released with 200 population and many units costing 2+ pop.

1. Units that in AoE3 cost 2 population, in AoM cost 3 or 4.

2. AoM has 160 average population in exchange to 200 in AoE3.

3. In AoE3 battle-ships cost no population

4. In AoE3 native units cost no population

5. In AoM trade caravans absorb a good portion of the remaining population in the late game.

6. While you have 15-20 military units in AoM late, you have 80-100 in AoE3.

They couldn’t, which is why I don’t judge them for doing it that way back then.

I just point out that this is the main reason why the game wasn´t at level to other AoE titles.

I’m very aware of the population situation in AoE3, I have played that game a lot, maybe even more then AoE2 by now (certainly played AoE3DE more then AoE2DE even though that also includes RoR).

But it’s still below AoE2 pop in a normal match.
Especially cannons can eat up pop pretty quickly.

That’s what I wonder.
How much was the population really the issue back then.

I completely agree that it’s an issue now and I’m happy that they are addressing it. I wonder how though.

It’s a battle game without battles. I’ve played it since I was a child, and it’s the big issue that I always found in it.

That would be awesome, but they showed Cerberus as the Greek titan. So, that means it would be the same titan for each civ unless they’re going to change it in the future.

Yeah, I was trying to say the same. That titan is Gaia without a doubt…

Yep, you’re right

You don´t know that :wink:

You only know that they showed Cerberus, but you don’t know if Cerberus would be a general Greek titan or only for Hades (for example)

As you said, I don’t know that. But if they’re adding each god as a titan, that would be awesome fs

nowadays i also want big epic battles but you can’t compare this to other RTSish games like TotalWar games or Dawn of War. there are 5 to i bet 50 soldiers in one unit but increasing it would still be much appreciated i agree.

but sometimes its pretty damn cool if only a couple of units (especially myth units) decide a battle. i don’t wanna miss this and it seems they even increase this thematic with even stronger myth units.

back when i played the first 2 or so years in the early 2000s i really didn’t recognised or got bothered really by the relative small armies. and not everyone can run giant armies on their pc i would prefer more details and more effects/better animation always over more units personally still.

in that case i think AoM is more similar to Rise of Legends. (Also a game which would deserve a remake and was way too unpopular for its cool ideas it had)

about the titan i personally want to start the bet with 10 bucks that cerberus is still the main greek titan and “just” its armor or emblem on its armor will change depending which greek god you’re playing. but of course i can still be wrong. i just feel like its way more possible we e.g. see finally gryphon as a myth unit and getting a more lore accurate scylla than getting three completely unique titans per major god.

good for you then with the planning. still never had the time to play AoE2 but maybe you mean egypt or india as countries? sounds cool. but i don’t think fixing a car is “a cool thing”. but this comes from a guy who never had a car in my past 15 years and i am quite happy about it personally even tho you feel it sometimes regarding transporting stuff or women and their expectations. - good thing i live in a big town with good connections and don’t need such women in my life. but traveling and see historic buildings, other cultures… that sounds cool and interesting i second that. but i currently don’t know if all this is the right place to write such things and quite off-topic.

i assume sep/oct too for release if this year. would be a good time to release a game like this i think to stand out more since during winter mainstream gets bombarded with other games and summer is often not the best time so sell games.

its nice to see ppl so hyped. makes me very happy even i am not a dev and still a bit sceptical.

but aren’t all in this forum at least enthusiastic for this game’s remake? cause otherwise we wouldn’t be in this forum and share our thoughts xD

I played AoM in late 2000. The low population was a bothersome issue that I quickly noticed.

I promptly turned to forums to see if there was any solution, and that’s when I discovered dozens of people facing the same problem as me.

Years later, a friend with the same problem created their own mod to increase the population limit, and they shared it with me. And I was happy.

its not like i never felt it later and i sometimes thought too how cool it would be to see bigger armies and a minotaur or chimera charging into a big army of soldiers. but my priorities changed over the past 12 years or so since i played the last time the original game and not EE.

yeah there are really cool mods and quite talented modders out there.
i would recommend quite some mods which are either in my opinion a must-have or pretty nice quality with great creativity and passion.

there are great mods like:

• giving myth units a visible upgrade
  • give titans the options to walk through water
  • let small units walk through forests (never always worked for me tho xd)
  • giving myth units like e.g. hydra poison and regeneratin which should have been there at the beginning

and big mods like the aztec civ mods which are both impressive and age of wrath mod which is so refreshing to play and has some great changes/editions and cool new models.

so i would always support using mods +1

and it seems like the devs really saw at least some of these mods and took notes. and maybe more mods will be featured in AoMRetold who knows? ^^

Thanks for the link!

The article states:

“The hope there is that by making the game a bit more accessible, and helping it conform a bit better to modern expectations of what an RTS is, they can encourage some of the fun stories they’ve heard from players of the past Definitive Editions, whether that’s participating in a revitalized competitive play scene, watching tournaments organized by the community, discovering a classic, or enjoying a game they loved as a kid with their own kids.”

Making a game more accessible in the sense they probably mean often translates (in gaming) to a more watered-down experience, simplifying the game, making a lot more “auto” stuff, and making it rated “E” for Everyone, in an effort to appeal to the mainstream and everyone from Ages 6 thru 90. That’s usually a red flag for me… but we’ll see how it goes.

Even though this quote doesn’t mention just regular “adults” as a demographic – ones who don’t want to watch or participate in eSport tournaments and don’t want to play the game with their kids (maybe they don’t have any) – I hope that demographic isn’t excluded.

Also, ‘conforming a bit better to modern expectations of RTS’ is probably fine. But hopefully they do the Drag Scrolling idea noted here finally, which I’m pretty sure never made it into AoE2:DE:

No Italy.
Which has 5 AoE2 wonders in it:

• Italian
  • Roman
  • Sicilian
  • Goths
  • Huns

It’s a vintage car (older then AoE1 lol) that I bought last month and I plan on fixing next month so I can use it during summer. I’m looking forward to it being fixed, not to the work.

I have never owned one before despite having a license for over 10 years.

Most big releases of the year release between September and November. They want to be out before December and not release during summer.

AoM doesn’t face any direct competition but obviously any big game is a competition.
There has been no super hyped up release announced for this year so far though.
No GTA, Cyberpunk or something like that.
But there could always be the next Palworld.

AoE1-3DE had a lot of technical issues on release. AoE1DE was probably the worst, to the point where they entirely gave up on the game and moved it into AoE2DE.
AoMR will use the AoE3DE engine so there is at last some hope that it will be a smoother release.

I personally didn’t have any issues with the AoE3DE release, maybe because I had above average hardware or because I didn’t play multiplayer in the first few months (until the first friend got the game).

I still remember how annoyed I was to find out that you can’t set the population cost of a unit to 0 using triggers.
Something that you can still not do in neither AoE2DE nor AoE3DE.
But at last you could set it to 1.
I never came up with the idea to increase the house limit, or maybe it was just not possible yet? I know it’s possible in AoE3DE, where you can also just simply increase the population limit.

Confirmed for AoMR

This should be a feature of a new civilisation or myth unit.

Those two things where something I suggested in another thread.
The Hydra and Scylla currently don’t have a direct upgrade, if they add one those features would be very fitting.

I’d love to see the Aztecs in AoMR.
Thanks to the Athlantians existing it wouldn’t even be hard to include them into a campaign.

They confirmed that they want to keep autoqueue but make it slower so manual queueing is still an advantage.
So they won’t add any new auto stuff (only on Xbox).

I don’t think so.
Every AoE game back then and every Definitive Edition so far had the same Age rating (in most countries).

Not sure what they mean with being able to play the game you played as a child with your children now. That implies that you had children with 20 years old (since that’s how old AoM is).

Isn’t that part of the AoE3DE engine already anyway?
I personally don’t use it. It’s certainly awful in AoE2DE.

I think the game will probably just be pretty close in accessibility to AoE3DE, with stuff like customizable player colours and so on.

Hopefully they don’t, that’s how you end up with the boring mess that was AoE4 on launch and remained as such for quite some time after. That’s how you end up with an emotionless pile of icons that lacks the personality of the Age franchise because they’d rather sacrifice it for efficiency.

Pros are the last people you want to have on-board for balance. I mean that literally - design your game, design it for fun, then bring on the pros in the final stages to get some balance tweaks done and the final numbers before launch. Don’t let them have anything to do with anything beyond that or they’ll streamline as much as possible in the name of efficiency.

8 Likes