New Civ concept: the Venetians

Pretty sure he made it with photoshop.

Interesting idea on giving a condo bonus but no condo in barracks.

1 Like

That’s my phone that fails me

I’ll fix it as soon as I can, although the tech tree hasn’t changed much if not for the emporium.

Oh no it’s way simpler, I use the app AoE2 companion, see the tech tree of a civ, and then edit it with my phone putting a cross above what they lack.

Yeah, I wanted to specify how strong the condo would be in the case they would have an Italian ally, but the main strength of the venetians in the late game are their halbs and champs.

1 Like

Updated Venetians Design:

CivIcon-Venetians

Civilization Bonus:

• Get +50 gold each time a technology is researched (including age ups).
  • Archery range units are 5/10% faster in feudal/castle age.
  • Have emporiums as drop off points.

Team Bonus:

• Market techs are 80% cheaper.

Unique Buildings:

• Emporium: building that act as drop off for all resources and gives you +5 pop. Inside it, you can research the eco techs of the mill, lumber camp, mining camp, town center and dock.
    Cost: 100 wood, 35 sec

Unique Technologies:

• III Schole: relics also generate stone (20 stone/min).
    Cost: 250 wood 200 gold, 30 seconds

• IV Schiavona: infantry units have +30 HP. (Champions get 100 HP, halberdiers 90 HP, and condottieri 110 HP).
    Cost: 1000 food and 400 gold, 40 sec

Unique Units:

• Stradiots: Light and fast cavalry with a slow RoF but that can stun enemy units with melee attacks. It costs only gold (a stunned enemy can’t neither attack or move for 3 secs).

• Galeass: Heavy gunpowder ship with high HP but short range, that can ram enemy ships. If the enemy ship survive, there is a chance that the ship is converted to you side.

Tech Tree:

Archery Range:

Barracks:

Stable:

Blacksmith:

Dock:

Siege Workshop:

University:

Monastery:

Defenses:

Castle:

The magyar hussar replace the stradiot icon, since it doesn’t have its own icon.

Economy:

The mill icon indicates the emporium, since it doesn’t have an icon itself.

What picture is in the white background? Hagia Sophia?

1 Like

Maybe, I don’t remember but I took the screenshot from the app of pieces of tech trees, among it there probably is the byzantines with their artworks.

Does it mean it cannot build mill, lumber camp, mining camp?

2 Likes

Yep, the emporium replace all of them and does all their functions and more.

2 Likes

It will look very glitched if units keep freezing.

2 Likes

So how does this affect its functionality?

1 Like

It would be enough to have a small visual effect to know if a enemy is stunned.

The unit main attack is a short range cannonball, it attacks this way when its special ability isn’t fully charged, then it charges with its ram and ram the enemy ships on melee. After the impact, the ship keeps shooting cannonballs.

The ram attack also have the possibility to convert the enemy ship to your side, if the enemy ship survives the attack.

To be honest it still doesn’t make sense to me. If it is a heavy ship then it will convert the entire enemy naval fleet. During the charge ram attack will it accelerate? I don’t think there is any such thing in this game. The animation will look glitched if cannonball fired from sides and then it instantly turns to attack from its ram infront. Sometimes the ### ### not be even able to face from front if enemy unit is not infront and just nearby.

So they will create stun animation for all the 200+ or so units? That sounds way too much.

1 Like

Not a stun animation, but a stunned effect icon would suffice for all of the units.

1 Like

Ok, maybe I didn’t explain the mechanics of the UU well in the latest post
 that’s just because I uploaded in previous posts and the design hasn’t changed.

I’ll correct it by re-posting the more detailed version, in the meantime, consider this:

• The galeass works like a coustellier, it have a charge bar, while this bar is fully charged, the ship has a strong buff on attack and speed, but the range is set to 0 (so basically it attack in melee) without the shooting animation. This means that as soon as the bar is charged, the ship attack with the ram, after the attack, the bar of the charge is set to zero, and it’ll take time to fully charge again.

• When the bar isn’t fully charged, the unit attack and speed is set to lower level, but then range is also increased, so it attacks with a cannonball fired from the front, similarly to a turtle ship (see the picture for better knowing from which angle a galeass can fire). It attacks this way until the bar is fully charged, then if not commanded differently, it automatically attacks the nearest target with the ram again (again, like a coustillier).

• The ram attack itself deals a lot of bonus damage, against different targets (a lot against galleons, fire ships and UU, but very low against demos and buildings). When the enemy ship is hit, if it survive, there is a chance (like 1/3) that such ship is converted to your side immediately after, like a monk. This is actually a scrapped version from the AoK beta, so it’s doable. The ship cannot convert while attacking with the ranged attack (which by the way it has about the range of the turtle ship).

The idea is to have a uncommon tank ship, the galeass doesn’t have the HP of the turtle ship, but it’s faster when charging and can deals more damage. It can also tank more damage with converted ships, since the converted ship will most likely be between your ships and the enemy ones, so it’ll absorb hits directed to your fleet
 or you can retreat it and heal it, to gain a ship.

sanlorenzo1-1

Exactly like @azwadkm22 said, the idea is something small and not overly sized, like when a building research a tech, or like some mods that are already available.

The unit itself is designed to be a decent tank (more resilient and with more HP than a light cav, but not as much as a knight, with the same proportion in imp) and it’s fast enough, but it’s has mediocre attack and a slow rate of fire, so the main strength comes from the stun ability.

• Against units like knights, it can be good, because it’s a unit that rely on raw power and not numbers, so it takes free hits when stunned, and even if the stradiot has less damage output, the 2 units are about on the same level on the 1v1. Against xbows for example, the unit is quite weak, because it can tank arrows like a light cav, but stunning a single xbow against a mass of them isn’t really useful, especially if packed and multiple stradiots can’t hit multiple xbows. In this case the low damage output of the stradiot becomes an handicap.

• The unit itself is designed to be a support unit to be used with xbows. It takes only gold to be trained, it can tank skirm fire, and it can stun enemy units that can take free xbows shots while stunned. The stradiot xbows combo is really strong, but it’ll burn through your gold quite quickly.

51UWOWFp7L

Updated Venetians:

CivIcon-Venetians

Civilization Bonus:

• Get +50 gold each time a technology is researched (including age ups).
  • Archery range units are +5/10/15% faster in feudal/castle/imperial age.

Team Bonus:

• Market technologies are 80% cheaper.

Unique Buildings:

• Emporium: building that act as drop off for all resources and allows you to slowly trade resources without paying a fee. It gives +5 pop.
    Cost: 100 wood, 40 sec

Unique Technologies:

• III - Arsenal: blacksmiths increase the work rate by +25% of nearby military buildings and docks (max 2 tiles).
    Cost: 300 wood 300 gold, 30 sec

• IV - Schiavona: infantry units have +30 HP. (Champions get 100 HP, halberdiers 90 HP, and condottieri 110 HP).
    Cost: 600 food and 400 gold, 40 sec

Unique Units:

• Stradiots: Light and fast cavalry with a slow RoF but that can stun enemy units. It costs only gold (a stunned enemy can’t neither attack or move).
    Cost: 120 gold, 12 sec

• Galeass: Heavy gunpowder ship with high HP but short range, that can ram and convert enemy ships.
    Cost: 120 wood, 100 gold, 40 sec

Tech Tree:

Barracks:

Archery Range:

Stable:

Siege Workshop:

Blacksmith:

Dock:

Miss the galeass, as there is no icon for it.

Monastery:

University:

Castle:

The magyar hussar replace the stradiot.

Economy:

The market icon represents the emporium.

More details about the unique units and building:

Emporium:

The emporium works a bit like the aoe3 lombard, where you can buy or sell resources from the dark age like in a market at a 1:1 ratio, but the resources acquired are trickled in and not immediately available. The resources are trickled with 0.5 res/sec, but more emporiums increases the trickle speed. The building doesn’t replace the market, as the market can still be used to exchange resources immediately, trade with trade carts, allow tributes and research techs.
The emporium also act as a combined mill, lumber camp, mining camp and a house, allowing vills to drop there any kind of resources, and to research all food, wood, gold and stone eco techs available to the venetians, on top of sparing a bit of wood on houses.

Stradiot

Stats:
Base Elite
HP: 100 130
Atk: 8 10 - +2 +4 against knights.
RoF: 2.2
Speed: 1.45
Armor: 1/2 2/3
Stun ability: the first hit stun the enemy unit which cannot neither move or attack for 3 seconds. It takes 30 seconds to recharge the ability.
Cost: 100 gold, 14 sec
Elite: 800 food 400 gold, 50 sec

Description: a fierce mercenary medium cavalry that excel at hit an run tactics, and at sending in disarray enemy units. During the Italian war they had success even against the French heavy cavalry. The unit fight in melee with a warhammer.

Galeass:

Stats:
Base Elite
HP: 145 200
Atk: 10 12 - +7 +9 vs ships
+8 +10 vs buildings
RoF: 1.5
Range: 4 5
Speed: 1.25 (+50% so 1.88 while ramming)
Ram Atk: 53 91 bonus damage vs ships
60 sec recharge
Armor: 1/7 2/9
Ram Ability: the ship speed up and deals massive amount of damage to the ship targeted. If the ship survive with less than 50% of its HP, it have 1/3 chances of being converted to your side.
Cost: 120 wood 100 gold, 40 sec
Elite: 700 food 500 gold, 50 sec

Description: a towering ship with a rapid short-range gunpowder attack. It can ram and board enemy ships to convert them to your side. During the war with the ottomans, such ships were unassailable ships that rained down fire from above, and cut in half their ships.

NOTE: the boarding and ramming ability were actually discarded features from the original AoK beta.

1 Like

Latest Changes to Civ:

Archers play:
So one of the biggest changes that radically changes the venetians gameplay is the 2 buffs and 1 nerf that I gave to the archers in the latest design, which are:

• archers gets +15% speed in imp
  • are trained +25% faster if there is a blacksmith nearby after the castle UT
  • lose the arb upgrade

So the venetians still have a strong archer rush followed by xbows in castle, but they have to change strategy in imp. I did this a bit to differentiate the civ a bit more from the italians, and a bit because their meta was too plain a straightforward, with just archers from age 2 to 4

This way, venetians in imp have xbows that are as fast as a rattan and that are trained faster too, but they lose a lot on strength and power without the arb upgrade, this means that you can use them to raid (if you have the gold) but overall you need to change you composition, either by switching to skirms/HC, or to infantry and siege.

Unique Technologies:

As you can see, I switched back the castle age UT from the scholes UT (relics gives stone) to the arsenal UT (military buildings and docks works 25% faster if they are near a blacksmith). This change is closely related to the removal of the arb technology, as now the venetians are forced to think more outside the box in the latest age, and switch into infantry and siege.
The problem is that both upgrading and massing those 2 kind of units is slow, so this tech is aimed at smothering this transition. You can also use it to switch into HC, or to spam speedy xbows to raid your opponent.

The imperial UT effects hasn’t changed, but I decreased the cost of the tech a bit, so to make it more accessible and reliable. This tech is also aimed to create a good synergy with the italians, as venetians would get the tankiest condos in the game.

Emporiums:
I changed the emporium again, in order to make it a little bit more unique. The emporium now is more similar to the aoe3 lombard, meaning that it allows to trade resources in age 1 without the need of a market (that is still available to the venetians).

If that results to be too OP, then maybe a mechanic more similar to the lombard could be implemented, where the building trades resources at a favorable rates, but slowly with a trickle. This in my opinion create a condition where the player has to plan ahead what he wants to do, and how to achieve it.
Emporiums don’t replace the markets on features like trade, allowing tributes, research techs and sharing LoS among allies.
The emporium though allows to gather all kind of resources and gives +5 pop, so even if you don’t exchange resources, you can still get some advantages out of it.

5c3243663cd6735e98ae35e5810d312168ed3bbf

Civilization Bonus:

• Receive +50 gold each time a technology is researched (including age ups).
  • Archery range units are +5/10/15% faster in feudal/castle/imperial age.

Team Bonus:

• Market techs are 80% cheaper.

Unique Technologies:

III - Arsenal: blacksmiths increase the work rate by +25% of nearby military buildings and docks (max 2 tiles). Blacksmith cost 50% less.
Cost: 300 wood 300 gold, 30 seconds

IV - Barbute: infantry units have +30 HP. (Champions get 100 HP, halberdiers 90 HP, and condottieri 110 HP).
Cost: 600 food and 400 gold, 60 sec

Unique Buildings:

• I - Emporium: acts as an unique replacement for the mill, lumber and mining camps. It gives +5 population and up to 10 villagers can be garrisoned inside.
    Cost: 100 wood, 35 secs

Unique Units:

• C - Stradiots: Light and fast cavalry that get rewarded for each kill. Every unit killed grants the unit +1 attack.
    Cost: 115 gold, 14 secs

• D - Galeass: Heavy gunpowder ship with high HP but short range, that can ram and convert enemy ships.
    Cost: 100 wood 120 gold, 45 secs

Barracks:

Archery Range:

Stable:

Blacksmith:

Dock:

Thirisadai representing the galeass, with the difference that it’s also present in the castle age.

Siege Workshop:

University:

Monastery:

Castle:

Defenses:

Economy:

Stradiot:

Stats:
Base Elite
HP: 70 80
Atk: 8 10
RoF: 1.8
Speed: 1.45
Armor: 0/2 0/2
Every unit killed by a stradiot increase the attack by 1.
Cost: 115 gold, 14 sec
Elite: 500 food 400 gold, 50 sec

Description: a fierce mercenary medium cavalry that excel at hit an run tactics, and at sending in disarray enemy units. During the Italian war they had success even against the French heavy cavalry. The unit fight in melee with a warhammer.

Galeass:

Stats:
Base Elite
HP: 145 200
Atk: 10 12
Bonus: +7 +9 vs ships; +8 +10 vs buildings
RoF: 1.5
Range: 4 5
Speed: 1.25 (+50% so 1.88 while ramming)
Ram Atk: 53 91 bonus damage vs ships 60 sec recharge
Armor: 1/7 2/9
Ram Ability: the ship speed up and deals massive amount of damage to the ship targeted. If the ship survive with less than 50% of its HP, it have 1/3 chances of being converted to your side.
Cost: 100 wood 120 gold, 40 sec
Elite: 700 food 500 gold, 50 sec

Description a towering ship with a rapid short-range gunpowder attack. It can ram and board enemy ships to convert them to your side. During the war with the ottomans, such ships were unassailable ships that rained down fire from above, and cut in half their ships.

2 Likes

Venetian need three UU : Stradiot, Galeass and Condottiero.

Stradiot and galeass are accurate UU for the Venetian but I think than they need to have access to the Condottiero but unlike the italian the Venetian Condottiero will not be shared with ally civ like the italian.

Lore : Venetian are an Italian civ who historically use Condottiero.

Condottiero need to be a regional unit shared with Italians and Venetians

3 Likes

The civ aim to represent the medioeval venetians, which includes a little bit of the period when the venetians controlled the north Italy, but for the most, the civ represents the dominions on the lagoons, balkans and aegean.

The venetians at some point did use the condottiero army system when they start meddling in the Italian affairs. Those were central and northern Italian companies that lent their services to the Republic of Venice, which with time become more and more organized.

I purposely didn’t include the condo in the venetians tech tree as to better represent this relationship between Venice and other in-land Italians city states, as Venice can access the condo only when it’s allied with the italians.

To compensate that, the venetians have arguably the strongest condos, as they get 110 HP with the venetians imp UT.

4 Likes

I would just rename Italians as Genoa. Because tech tree is all geared towards that way.

1 Like

or just leave Italians as is because they represent the Italian peninsula as a whole just fine.

1 Like