New civ concept: The Wari

Updates

Civ role: Team support and defense.
Civ concept: Infantry and skirmishers.

-Infantry units gain +1 attack for every meele armor technology researched.
-Outposts and houses are X% cheaper.
-Researching loom unlocks a trickle of X gold per second.
-Can build Pikillaqta instead of Town Centers, and research: Pata-pata farms and Tiwanaku priests.

Unique units

• Kunka Kuchuna (or Neck breaker): Heavy axeman that increases his attack speed by X% for Y seconds.
  • Chukiq Awqaruna (or Andean javelineer): Skirmisher that has attack bonus vs cavalry, andeans and eagles. Available at the archery range since the Castle age.

Unique techs

• Bronze tupus (Castle age): Skirmishers and spearmen units gain +X HP.
  • Wiracocha cult (Imperial age): Andean warriors regenerate X HP per min and attack Y% faster.

Unique building
-Pikillaqta: Highly resistant Wari urban center that replaces classic Town Centers. It can increase the defense of nearby buildings by X%.

Team bonus
Regional units +X LOS.

Civ techs

-Pata-pata farms (Feudal age): For the Waris, farms last X% longer. For all teammates, farms cost -5 wood. It can be researched at the mill.

-Tiwanaku priests (Castle age): For the waris, monks regenerate their faith X% faster. For all teammates, monk-type units move 5% faster. It can be researched at the monastery.

Architecture: Andean (shared with the Incas).

Languages: Aymara and Chanka quechua (Ayacucho dialect).

1st bonus: it represents their bronze metalworking and blacksmith workshops.
2nd bonus: it represents their fast-growing urbanism and pre-planned cities.
3rd bonus: it represents the chaccu (vicuña, llama and alpaca shearing) practiced by the Waris. The chaccu wool was spinned to make clothes or just fabric, and traded as prestige goods for gold, silver, copper, etc.
4th bonus: it represents their iconic urban centers, the mass terrace farming they developed, and the influence of tiwanaku in their religion.

I must admit I’m not so well-versed in the game to come up with a decent unit that’s balanced price/stats wise. I humbly ask for your help in crafting this andean unit that could replace the eagle warrior. One idea I had was perhaps splitting the unit in 2. One more squishy and only costing food; the other stronger but being more expensive in food and gold than eagles.

Why I can’t edit old posts???

1 Like

If you mean the uus by andean warriors then its the same as viking ut.

I want to replace eagle warriors with a new regional unit called andean warriors. More expensive on the food side. Andean scout → Andean warrior → Elite andean warrior. I don’t know how to balance their cost/stats and keep the “eagleness” part. I mean eagles are cavalry for mesos.

1 Like

So this civi gets 4 unique units and 2 unique buildings? Seems a bit too much.

3 Likes

It’s not a unique unit. It’s a regional unit for Waris, Chimus and Incas that will replace eagle warrios. My civ concept only has 2 unique units and 1 unique building. That was my idea. I don’t know how to properly balance their stats and increase the food cost just to make them different from eagles and keep their role. Splitting the unit in 2 regional units could be an option because there are civs that have 2 regional units camels and siege elephants. I’m not too enthusiastic about splitting it so I’m asking for help.

I tried but someone said it was bad.

Well it has one less attack than an Eagle and no bonus damages. The only advantage it has is 1 melee armor which while decent is far less valuable on a raiding unit than damage. For example, the -1 damage means you need one more hit to kill an arbalest, even a Vietnamese.

For me I don’t see the point in changing something that works fine as is.

1 Like

Tbh at some point I think just making the eagle warrior the Aztec UU which upgrades from a generic infantry scout avaible to all gthe new world civs would be better. You could make the main infamtry line gemeric looking enough so Mayans and Incas (and maybe even south african civs🤔) could both use it since neither of them dressed as winged animals I believe. Or you could just make some or every american civ have their unique scout upgraded from the generic one

1 Like

Reskin and name change are preferred, huh. I just wanted a new regional unit for south america and nerf the food cost.

Nice and looks like fun.
I’m guessing they won’t get blast furnace.

Meh but ok, I guess.

Uhmm interesting.
Imo if this bonus was about food or wood, it would fit and have been perfect for goths before they got their buff in 2020. Maybe trickle the same as 1 relic or a little bit more.
Historicallly, it also makes sense because goths developed their own regional cultures and clothing style to do their work as farmers, lumberjacks, fishermen, etc in different parts of the continent. The only thing that worries me is that it may allow goths to flood way faster in closed maps.
On the other hand, the gold version could fit incas who also raised llamas and used their wool. And they need something to help them with gold anyway. They have the most expensive gold core army out of the 3 mesos but no gold bonus right now.
This kind of civ bonus idea has potential.

I don’t like this at all. Before it was an optional building, not a real TC. I imagined it was something like 3x3 tiles that I could build in case I needed some defense while under attack.
Now that it replaces the TC, it feels like something forced on me. I want to choose, to have options. Not to always invest on a more expensive TC that I might not even need when I’m already attacking my opponent and my base is safe.

I said it before but this civ has no eco solvency right now. And paying just to get some solvency, plus said techs will be paying themselves back minutes later, is just a noob trap. Like old burgundian early techs bonus. Making them military techs that affect all the team (like I suggested before) has more value imo. Tiwanaku priests tech is fine.

This is ok.

I gotta say I liked your first suggestion better.
It felt more flexible and fun with cheaper barrack techs, lumberjacks getting gold, nice spears and skirms, and pikillata being just another building like caravanserai. There was synergy between all its bonuses. You could go archers easier because of the gold from lumberjacks, then transition to infantry smoothly thanks to the barrack bonus. The ut was nice to train spears and skirms for emergencies.
Your new suggestion is meh.

Months ago I suggested these for incas, trying to replace the lama and the blacksmith bonus:

1: All units cost -15% food.
2: Gold miners generate extra gold in addition to the mined gold (Works the same as the pole bonus but it’s about gold miners, not stone miners).

Imo something like these two could help more than your patapata tech idea or even your outpost discount.

1 Like

Nice civ concept, but I’d add Chancas as a separate civ for variety

*Warning: this is the same post that I published in this topic, I decided to put it in both threads for practical reasons.

Greetings everyone, some time has passed with this topic, however, based on what I have read from some users and the worldview they have of the pre-Columbian world, I feel the need to write here again.

you can skip the intro

I really thought about posting on the AoE forum earlier, but I have to admit I was put off by the June massacre regarding fan bans on social media. However, the AoE saga has given me so many hours of free enjoyment since childhood cough cough, I mean, I have purchased the AoE saga on Steam and it gives me so many hours of current enjoyment that I want to support this community according to my chances. As I mentioned a few years ago, I am not a history expert, but I enjoy reading history books and I know that many times history has been modified for the convenience of the moment.

end of intro

The Chimú and Wari civilizations are Andean, so I will copy exactly the same in the respective themes created by the user @JCC3001.

1. Perception of the world geographic area:

I know that many people have grown up studying a Eurocentric world map where Greenland is almost as big as Africa, however, one detail that they do not usually teach is that it is a “modified” map, the regions tend to “shrink” the closer they are to the equator .

How could we translate this? with practical examples:

The “little” South American country called Ecuador is bigger than the whole of the United Kingdom.

Many current European countries can fit within a single South American country.

The area occupied by Germany in 1939 was 633,786 km² and it was considered a great achievement… the area of Colombia is 1,141,748 km².

Probably many users already knew about “actual country sizes”, for those who didn’t know yet they will probably spend a few hours playing around on this page

Taking this into account, then it is already possible to understand the magnitude of all the kingdoms and cultures that the Tawantisuyo was able to have at the time (with an area of 2,500,000 km²).

1. Type of Government of the Civilizations.

As I mentioned at some point: “I know that it is impossible to represent all the civilizations in the AoE 2 timeframe but it is feasible to place 3 or 4 representative civilizations”.

The latest expansion of “Dynasties of India” is an excellent reference of what, in my opinion, should be the path that the AoE 2 saga should take, I recently completed all the campaigns and realized that all these new civilizations were EMPIRES that shaped the history of their region (and it goes according to the title Age of EMPIRES), I hope that with this statement you do not think that I am an “elitist” person or that I despise other civilizations with “less advanced” forms of government; I am an admirer of the Jíbaros civilization and I believe that they could contribute a lot in AoE 3 and it is because, although their civilization did not develop beyond a tribal confederation, they demonstrated that it is possible to surpass more technologically and governmentally advanced civilizations such as the Incas and Spanish, however, it must be admitted that their influence did not have a great impact on the AoE 2 timeframe and its greatest relevance was during the AoE 3 timeframe.
So my conclusion from this point is that there are still many civilizations to explore on all continents in the AoE 2 timeframe. Although there are games where hundreds of civilizations can be integrated such as Europe Universalis IV (its base weight is 4 GB ), in games like AoE 2 (its weight is already around 12 GB) it has a greater artistic section where each added civilization is the result of months of planning and work, in addition to the fact that there is probably a maximum of civilizations that can be placed in this game.

This expression is just my personal opinion: in AoE 2 the EMPIRES that still need to be added in the Age of EMPIRES 2 timeframe should be considered.

1. Chimú Empire:

Many interesting ideas of how the mechanics of these civilizations would be in a hypothetical addition to AoE 2 have already been proposed in these posts, so I could only polish some details:

Difference in Moche Armor and Chimú Armor:
Although the armor recovered through archeology is mainly of nobles and priests, it can be seen that the Chimú “evolved” the style of their armor with respect to their Moche ancestors, their most characteristic feature is that the Moche armor has finishes smooth, while Chimú armor has an ornate finish (and not to mention that in Chimú times it was common for officials and nobles to wear gold and silver-plated bronze armor).

The Chimú have the characteristic of being a civilization of armored, naval and religious infantry; These are 3 game mechanics that could amply compensate for the lack of cavalry in American civilizations, but how to translate these 3 characteristics into game mechanics?:
-The Chimú UU (castle) could be an armored soldier.
-The Chimú UU (dock) could be a boat or raft.
This has already been studied in this post, but how could it be shown that the Chimú were a Theocracy?

Some time ago I came up with an idea for the UU of a hypothetical Tibetan civilization.

Taking the idea from the Ratha, a Monk could be designed that could alternate between healing/converting and attacking melee. As shown in this post the Chimú also had “Warrior Priests” that attacked from a distance, so the Chimú could have a third Unique Unit to replace the Traditional Priests; this unit could be called “Quich”, benefit from blacksmith upgrades, have Trample damage, and could be toggled between heal/convert and attack via a button; obviously this Priest would be much more expensive and with more training (this would be a double-edged sword since investing in these Priests could greatly affect the economy in the early game).

cambio de arma

It should be noted that in the Andean region during the AoE 2 timeframe there were different forms of government, among which the following stand out:

Chimú Empire: Theocracy.
Inca Empire: Diarchy.

Possible Chimú campaign:

In this post all the possible campaigns have already been mentioned, and I would only narrate the story that is told in the current Cajamarca - Peru:

It is known that there was an alliance between the kingdom of Cajamarca and the Chimú Empire (Proof of this, pieces from Cajamarca have been found in Chimú tombs and vice versa). During the Inca invasion the king of Cajamarca was called CUISMANCU (even sometimes the kingdom of cajamarca is referred to as the “Kingdom of Cuismancu”). The exact date of the conquest of the kingdom of Cajamarca is not known: Cieza de León indicates that it would have been in 1456 and Cabello de Balboa indicates the year 1461, in any case the Chimú Empire sent its army to support the kingdom of Cajamarca; It is not known how many troops the Chimú sent to the aid of Cajamarca nor how many troops Cajamarca had when it tried to repel the invasion,in all the bibliographical sources that I managed to find, it only mentions that “they gave a hard battle against the Incas” and that “the Chimús sent a division”, it is known that “military division” in Andean terms is equivalent to 10,000 soldiers so it is a probable number, it also mentions that King Cuismancu did everything possible to match the army of Cajamarca with the same number of soldiers that his Chimú ally had sent, for which the army of Cajamarca could also have been made up of 10,000 soldiers, unfortunately for now it is not possible to know the number of soldiers that faced the Inca army during the invasion of Cajamarca, they could be less or could be many more (because of their military and dual administration, it was the tradition of the Incas to form armies of at least 20,000 so ldados, it is also a possibility that the Chimús actually sent 20,000 soldiers to help Cajamarca). The conquest was long and hard, the Inca general who led the invasion was Cápac Yupanqui who managed to defeat the Chimú-Cajamarca alliance, killing King Cuismancu himself in combat; However, this invasion had not been authorized by Pachacútec and this invasion caused discomfort throughout the Inca empire (probably due to the casualties suffered) for which Pachacútec ordered the execution of Cápac Yupanqui. If you want to know more details about the kingdom of Cajamarca or about this war, I leave you these links (Spanish) 1, 2, 3.

The Chimú empire was the last to be conquered by the Incas:

This is probably just a legend and unfortunately I don’t remember where I read this, but supposedly after the Incas conquered the Kingdom of Cajamarca and seeing that the Chimú were still too powerful for open war (even taking into account that the Chimú have lost part of their army by sending them to help Cajamarca), the Incas decided to conquer a more accessible rival such as the Kingdom of Quito, once this kingdom was conquered they could begin the conquest of the Chimú Empire on two simultaneous fronts from the north and the south suffocating the Chimú efforts until their final surrender.

The most common map of the Inca expansion is the following::

Tawantinsuyo

However, there is also this map where they place the Chimú Empire as the last to be conquered by the Incas, for now the only evidence is oral traditions and perhaps in some future archeology will help to discover the truth.

sin_tt-1

Regarding the Chimú I would also like to add that as a UU (castle) I like this concept and if you are interested in the Chimú Empire I recommend this page (spanish).

1. Wari Empire:
    It is known that the Wari Empire was the first empire in the Americas and that it was a highly warmongering empire, however, due to the lack of written and/or oral records (that I know of) the names of its rulers and the record of their campaigns military have been lost, however, this is what is known thanks to archaeology, traditions, genetic studies and environmental studies:
  • Their direct descendants are the Chankas, the rivals of the Incas who fought for control of the Central Andes.
  • It was a bellicose empire that conquered all the neighboring kingdoms, being rivaled only by the Tiwanaku Empire (in the end the Tiwanaku-Wari Empire was formed).
  • They had highly developed technological advances for the time, not only regionally but also worldwide: they are the original creators of the Qhapaq Ñan or road system of the Andes (which the Incas would later reuse and expand) and the original inventors of the platform systems (andenes) . They knew the bronze that they also used as weapons and armor, the homonymous capital of the Wari Empire possessed at its height more than 50,000 inhabitants (double the number of Paris than at that time).

homer-simpson-hes-dead

An Empire that disappeared out of nowhere may sound like a story about aliens or from the Lovecraft universe, however, as already explained in this post, it is likely that the war against the Mochica (ancestors of the Chimú) has been expensive for them and that is why Great political, economic and social instability followed due to the poor foundation of the Empire’s foundations and a scourge of consecutive natural disasters. The interesting thing is that their most direct genetic descendants are the Chankas.

For more information you can watch this video (Spanish)

Kingdom of the Chankas:
The book that has captivated me the most about the kingdom of the Chankas is the book by Waldemar Espinoza Soriano, it has a large compilation of chronicles and fits them in a good way. The most interesting facts of this book have already been published in this post, so I will only add some details of the Chanka-Inca war:

• According to history, the Chanka kingdom was at its height and expansion with borders so far away that they had contacted the Guaraní (indigenous peoples living in Paraguay), that would explain why in Inca imperial times the most spoken language in the region of present-day Bolivia was the Aymara which was the language spoken by the Chanka and Wari.

(Map of the hypothetical linguistic distribution in the Wari imperial era, the language “Aru” is predecessor of Aymara).

The Chanka army was made up of “3 divisions”, at the time of attacking Cuzco for the first time only one division was used, however the general Chanka Anco Huallo, seeing the fury and determination of the prince Cusi Yupanqui (Pachacútec) when defending the city, made a truce agreement to better prepare their armies, so Cuzco (Incas) had time to reinforce their armies with mercenaries (Canas and Canchis) and improve their defensive structures while the Chankas gathered the 3 divisions of their army for a final attack, once the truce ended, the Battle of Yahuarpampa would continue; In this battle, tens of thousands of soldiers fought on each side. When the Chankas entered the city, the “urban war” began (this is where the events of the Chanan Cori Coca story occur).

As is known, Cuzco (Incas) repels the Chanka invasion and begins a period of uninterrupted expansion. It is also known that a Chanka division (composed of 6,000 Chanka elite soldiers) is used for the Inca conquests and they obtain several victories, however and for some reason a group of Inca nobles conspire against the Chanka division, the sister of Anco Huallo he finds out about this conspiracy and warns his brother. Anco Huallo decides to flee with his military division to the north (the 6,000 soldiers plus his families), upon learning of his escape, the Incas send Cápac Yupanqui to intercept and annihilate Anco Huallo and his men; The Inca army pursued them for several kilometers in the Andes mountain range until losing them, they reached the border of the Kingdom of Cajamarca and Cápac Yupanqui (probably to redeem himself) decided to invade Cajamarca, this began the chain of events already written lines back in the section of the “Possible Chimú Campaign”: the Chimús send part of their army to help their Cajamarcas allies, despite the efforts the Cajamarcas are conquered but as Cápac Yupanqui acted against the orders of Pachacútec he is executed, the invasion of the kingdom of Cajamarca was the trigger of the Chimú-Inca war.

Without further ado and apologizing for my “wall of text”, I hope that those who have read this post have enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it (I must admit that I did summarize and shorten many parts :rofl:)

A warm greeting to the AoE community, always be great :grin:

3 Likes

A great and interesting civ concept. I love the fact that you’ve used x% to just represent the concept without throwing the numbers. And also fits the meso theme of strong economy and bonuses for booming and some benefit for skirmishers.
Depending on the rest of the tech tree, this could be an interesting addition to the game.

I learned a lot from your “wall of text” thanks for the great post!

1 Like

Honestly, I’d like to see Wari and Tiwanaku released as a duo. They were historical rivals and rose almost in parallel. They’d also have very easy ideas to build around.

Tiwanaku would be the religious civ and Wari would be the siege civ. The Pucara Purisaspa alone would make a very unique looking unit for the Wari. Tiwanaku could have something like early monasteries.

1 Like

Release Wari, Tiwanaku and Chimú as a trio :wink:.

A new South American architecture would also be nice.

2 Likes

I’d include at least one Mesoamerican civ into that pack :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sure you’re not trying to mislead anyone, but no, the Mercator projection was not “modified” to make regions close to the equator look smaller. It’s not possible to make a map that preserves all of the geometrical features of the Earth, so cartographers have to be selective about what features they care about. Mercator intended that projection to be used by navigators, so he chose to preserve features useful for navigation (angles and lines of constant bearing), at the expense of land areas. The idea that the Mercator projection is Eurocentric originated in the 20th century, mostly due to a journalist who knew little about cartography or geometry, and primarily wanted to stir up controversy. No one has ever had a political motive to make Greenland look larger than Africa, and any perceived Eurocentrism is in the eye of the beholder, not the map itself.

2 Likes

Understood.

I didn’t want to imply that the changes were made in order to “mislead people”, my point was that the maps do not represent the actual geographic scale of many countries.

In the same way thanks for the lore of this background, I did not know that. But now I wonder… why don’t they update the maps now? I mean… I don’t think most of us are navigators :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure who you mean by “they”, but Google maps is probably the most commonly used map these days. And Google maps uses the Mercator projection precisely because most of us are navigators! Most people use it to get from one point to another, and Mercator is really good for that even if you’re not formally calculating bearings.

1 Like

Hehe, sorry it seems that my English is “inelegant”, by “they” I meant every company in general that kept issuing these “modified” maps.

It seems that we are currently having a little “culture shock”, I may be wrong but it seems to me that you use the geographic coordinate system while I use the UTM coordinate system.

2020-world-to-projection

And you are right, currently we are navigators, I also use the GPS when I travel by vehicle but I admit that I tend to reference the coordinates more to make geographical calculations, calculate distances, areas and volumes (this is due to my profession); In my opinion, the UTM system is used here because it is more “simple” :sweat_smile:

1 Like