New Civ Icon Idea

see my previous post for update

For the andalusians, the Nasrid shield by itself would look better imo.
On of these:

I’d go for the second.

1 Like

CivIcon-ArmeniansTanguts
11122221232ewrtwetwt
song I tried a few times but not ideal

3 Likes

I like to keep a similar design for culture groups, thus I didn’t want the Andalusians to have a kite shield as their icon, instead opting for one looking closer from the Saracens. That carved mural on your photo looks very similar to the model that I proposed, with the flowers around the shield.

Maybe keeping it with the central shield in red and black to make it more visible ?

I wouldn’t use the stone one as is. It’s very likely it used to be painted but the paint faded away, as it was the case for statues of the antiquity and middle ages.

1 Like

The bright blue flames are barely visible on the yellow background. I’d say keep the second design, but removing the blue flames and making the circle with the chinese character a bit larger and centered.

CivIcon-Anasazis---副本---副本

4 Likes

Well, I guess you don’t need this ugly thing anymore :smiley: (I tried to combine army banner design with the emblem)

Your design beats it by a very wide margin :smiley: Might I suggest making the Tanguts flower a bit bigger? It’s a bit dark now with dominating black background.

This design is very good, but I don’t know how to make it into an icon
and re-edited Tanguts icon
CivIcon-Armenians

2 Likes

What shapes of shields were commonly used in China ? That’s the basis of what to use for the logo.

I mainly find round shields, or large pavises.

I was going by this image and others like it

Either round wooden ones or tower shields sort of like this:

Not sure how accurate/authentic these are:

You could flip the European shield and make a inverse chevron thing.

For the first image, these are standards.

Tower shields can be used for an icon, the Lithuanians use one, but it still need not being too high vertically to be suited as it.

Ah yes, the lithuanian one! I’ll try to design around those dimensions. But now I go sleep. Seicing will probably beat me to it :smiley:

North Africa looks a little bit empty…

Tunis:

Tlemcen:

Morocco:

Tuaregs:

1 Like

As for your collection of metal shields, they look like pure fantasy. The amount of metalworking on some would be insane, I don’t say it couldn’t have been done for a pure decorative purpose in the palace but certainly not mass-produced for an army, at least unless using some industrial processes like stamping (and not even european plate armour factories had that). Some like the one at the bottom center even look like having some cast decorations bolted on the shield itself on it due to the thickness of details, probably in bronze (much easier to cast than iron/steel) but that’s a metal even heavier than steel and only as hard as iron, its weight would be insane. And for the ones based on tower shields, you’d need a crane to lift them…

Even for the less crazy looking (center top and middle) the rim of the shield looks overbuilt.

Saka Kingdom

Alans

Scythians

Indeed, they are either painted plastic or painted wood. The latter of which could be a tactic. Make your wooden shields shiny and let the enemy believe you have metal ones. Especially since they contain demonic imagery. More a scare tactic than anything else.

You could have your shields plated with a very thin layer of metal, possibly silver since it’s much easier to work with than iron, but it would be expensive. Some elite units in antiquity could afford that (Seleucid silver shields for example) but not the bulk of your army. And still the goal was not deceiving the enemy if you could have some layer of bronze on your shield for protection anyway, it was to show off “we’re good enough to be paid so much that we can cover our shields in silver, fear us !”

As for paint itself, I’m not convinced if you could replicate a decent looking metallic paint without industrial technology. Metallic paint uses metal dust in it, it would be ridiculous to attempt without proper machinery.

I’m not sure I put Hausas and Seljuks in the best locations. On the other hand, Peru is starting to get really crowded. Maybe I should have doubled the image size before adding the emblems.

I’m still hoping for Marajoara btw.

Edit: I doubled the size of the original map, so I have to re-add the emblems so they don’t look blurry. lol
(I had to further resize it to be able to post here)

Also, just for fun, this could be an alternative emblem for the Japanese (the old name for them, read as “wa”)

And here’s something for the Anglo-Saxons:
I also redrew it like I did with the Rapa Nui symbol:

1 Like

Maybe we can find a more abstract icon for Yamato/Wa instead of using kanji directly…

How about using haniwa (埴輪) or torii (鳥居) as the icon?

My friend and I collaborated on the design of three sub-civ icons of Mongols. We used Soyombo symbol as the original.

Maybe a little rough, but I’m still very satisfied to them.

It’s a pity that I can’t post them separately for the restrictions on new users.

Three Mongols

2 Likes