New Civ Icon Idea

Well, my idea is that the kanji would go in front of a shield.

I also tried to find stuff for Srivijaya and Tambralinga, but couldn’t find much, especially for the latter. Maybe the head of this Bodhisattva could be used for Srivijaya?

Also, the symbol for the Anglo-Saxons could be like the Persian/Sogdian one, but with the same border as the Celtic or Goth one.

SakasAlans1Alans2Scythians
I think Saka Kingdom can use Scythians or sogdians directly

5 Likes

Marajoaras
Marajoaras

1 Like

TunisTlemcenMoroccoTuaregs

5 Likes

By the way, I should have gone with a transparent background in that last redraw, but I forgot. I’m not sure if I can remove the white part from an image with color without ruining the lines.

222111CivIcon-Seljuks
Anglo-Saxons have their own white dragon flag, I made one by the way
anglos

5 Likes

Oh nice you salvaged it

Simple colors can be easily extracted, but it is difficult if it is translucent…

Dude great civ emblems forreal but whats the maori one with the kiwi lazer beam eyes doing there?? 11111111

That was a joke flag option put up by a kid in a NZ referendum to get our flag changed. Alot of people voted for that for sh!ts and giggles and it got alot of traction.

Btw the result of the referendum was no change. We kept the old flag

2 Likes

By the way, I didn’t know about that flag (I guess AoE4 uses it but I forgot)

That’s the point! Ancient Japan did not introduce Chinese characters i.e. Kanji into their own system before Asuka period, which is also the time when the centralized power of the mikado replaced the primitive clan society (so kikumon had become an acceptable icon). It should be more reasonable to use non-written symbols as the icon of the Japanese at that time. The shield may be a wise choice but not suitable for kanji.

Srivijaya and Tambralinga aren’t too different with the existing Malay in politics, military and culture, so it’s difficult to subdivide them.

I think every world map people made with the emblems used the kiwi one (mine included) xD

Did you make all the graphics/artwork for the icons by yourself? Or just find them and copy/paste/download via Google searches?

I’m just wondering which ones, if any, will actually be usable, or how you plan to use them? Do you have the rights to?

If an artist re-draws or re-paints a centuries-old logo/graphic today, they might actually own the copyright to their actual version they created… even though a logo/graphic itself from the 13th century obviously wouldn’t have a copyright. So, if you’re using JPGs or screenshots of images that were recently created by some recent artist, you might have some limitations, depending on intended use. Maybe?

I could be wrong, as I’m no lawyer… and I’m just bringing it up in case it needs some research or to be considered… but it seems pretty similar to when an orchestra records a song today of a song that was originally created in the 18th century, I think they (the orchestra, their distributor, or whatever) own their recording of it… so you can’t just use their recording wherever you want without their permission, for example.

I haven’t had much time to look all replies over, but I think you said in a post that you’re not really an artist, and just made the alpha overlays and shield backdrop templates. So it made me wonder if several of the logo/graphics used in the shields are maybe copyright-protected by others?

But they use that kanji to this day lol
I didn’t mean for it to represent the old yamato specifically

But just for fun, we could take the chance to make icons for AoE1 civs too

1 Like

This is an Aztec symbol for a water spider (It is often misappropriated by new age people though). For Zapotecs this would be better. Their bat deity.

Or one of their glyphs from the Zapotec column in this table.

These are Nahua (the ethnicity of the Tlaxcaltecs and Aztecs) glyphs which are appropriate as precolumbian ones since they look nearly the same. Tlaxcala/Tlaxcallan in Nahuatl (their languange) means place of tortillas or crag/steep cliff according to two different interpretations. So the glyphs show two hills and a hand holding a tortilla, giving it two readings but spelling the same word. Their writing was pretty flexible and sometimes things were read in more than one way.

2 Likes

If you’re still willing to create some new icons, here some other ideas which would be nice:

Haida

Sámi

Taíno

The flags are probably anachronistic but I think they would look nice.

Considering AOE3 is getting Malta, maybe getting an idea on how it would look in AOE2 would be interesting, even though I would rather not see them ingame before Africa, Oceania and America gets fixed:

Give the guy a job with FE? :smiley:

3 Likes

Malta was the main base of the Knights Hospitalers after their fortress of Rhodes fell to the Ottomans.

They indeed mainly used a white cross on red

But I fear it would be mistaken for other crests due to how simple it is (the flags of Denmark and Savoy are almost the same, though Denmark uses different heraldry and Savoy sometimes added the letters FERT on its flag). Ingame civ icons have to be recognisable at first glance, even if they deviate a little bit from history (for example the Bohemians have a red and black background instead of a full red background, to have a colour scheme different enough from the Poles and Britons)

An alternative design could use the more recognisable maltese cross, though they only started using it in the late 15th century, borrowed from the Italian mercantile city of Amalfi.

Covers less of AOE2’s timeframe but more unique and arguably easier to recognise. I’ll let others be the judge

Working on filling up the map again.

I don’t know if I placed Tuaregs and Tanguts in the right place.

In that case we could maybe use the Maya emblem as a base? (It’s supposed to be the eagle glyph)
Though that seems to be harder to reproduce than the Eurasian/African and Aztec shields
CivIcon-Mayans

Maybe the Sahrawi people could get something as well, but all I could find was this flag, which is a very recent creation