New Civilization Concept: The Sioux

Welcome to my civilization concept post.

Disclaimer: First of all, im not part of aoe2 team so im not an expert balancing civs, please don’t take it seriously as it’s just a suggestion. Some ideas might sound broken and unbalanced but I wanted to increase the variety of civs by making them more original. :slight_smile:

Introduction: Sioux, broad alliance of North American Indian peoples who spoke three related languages within the Siouan language family. The name Sioux is an abbreviation of Nadouessioux (“Adders”; i.e., enemies), a name originally applied to them by the Ojibwa.

The Sioux way of life

Before the middle of the 17th century, the Santee Sioux lived in the area around Lake Superior, where they gathered wild rice and other foods, hunted deer and buffalo, and speared fish from canoes. Prolonged and continual warfare with the Ojibwa to their east drove the Santee into what is now southern and western Minnesota, at that time the territory of the agricultural Teton and Yankton. In turn, the Santee forced these two groups from Minnesota into what are now North and South Dakota. Horses were becoming common on the Plains during this period, and the Teton and Yankton abandoned agriculture in favour of an economy centred on the nomadic hunting of bison.

Precontact Sioux culture

Sioux men acquired status by performing brave deeds in warfare; horses and scalps obtained in a raid were evidence of valour. Sioux women were skilled at porcupine-quill and bead embroidery, favouring geometric designs; they also produced prodigious numbers of processed bison hides during the 19th century, when the trade value of these “buffalo robes” increased dramatically. Community policing was performed by men’s military societies, the most significant duty of which was to oversee the buffalo hunt. Women’s societies generally focused on fertility, healing, and the overall well-being of the group. Other societies focused on ritual dance and shamanism.

Sioux warriors used bows and arrows, spears, war clubs, and buffalo-hide shields. Hunters also used snares, and when Lakota or Dakota men hunted buffalo, they often set controlled fires to herd the animals into traps or over cliffs.

Sioux women are known for their decorative embroidery with beads and porcupine quills, and the men are known for their elaborate buffalo-hide paintings. Sioux artists also make clay pots, star quilt blankets, and ceremonial calumets (pipes carved from catlinite.)

The Sioux traded regularly with other tribes of the Great Plains. They particularly liked to trade buffalo hides and meat to farming tribes like the Arikara in exchange for corn. These tribes usually communicated using sign language.

The Sioux also fought wars with other tribes. Plains Indian tribes treated war differently than European countries did. They didn’t fight over territory but instead to prove their courage, and so Plains Indian war parties rarely fought to the death or destroyed each other’s villages. Instead, their war customs included counting coup (touching an opponent in battle without harming him), stealing an enemy’s weapon or horse, or forcing the other tribe’s warriors to retreat. Some tribes the Sioux frequently fought with included the Assiniboine, Ojibwa, and Kiowa Indians.

Sioux architecture:
Their arquitecture will be a new north american style composed of teepees and buildings made of wood and animal skin.Their wonder will be a big teepee, because of their lifestyle they didn’t create big buildingsor cities like the Mongols.

So after this small introduction let’s start with the civ concept.

-The Sioux-

Cavalry civilization.

Civilization bonuses:
-Houses, towers and stables are built faster (improving each age).
-Villagers slowly get gold in adition to food.(from animals and berries only. Does not include fish)
-Cavalry units recover hp over time and move faster when close to the enemy. (increasing from the feudal age)
-Gets one free bison for each tech researched.(Spawns 1 in all existing town centers)

Unique units:
-Kanya Horseman: Replaces knight line. Melee heavy cavalry, strong vs buildings, archers and infantry, weak vs monks and pikemen. Can be upgraded to elite in the imperial age.
-Bow rider: Can be trained in castles. Unique mounted archer, cheap and fast. Strong vs infantry, siege and cavalry (after researching the tech) and weak vs archers and squirmishers. Can be upgraded to elite in the imperial age.

Unique techs:
-Castle age- Horse Secrets: cavalry units and bow riders deal bonus damage to other cavalry and siege.
-Imperial age- Bonepipe Armor; Rams have more hit points and melee armor.

Team bonus: The area around your town center will be explored at the start of the game.(It’s like exploring the area around your tc to find resources but u can’t see if the enemy is there.)

Tech tree:
-barracks: (average) full tech except halbs.
-Stable: (excelent) full tech except knight line, steppe lancers,elephants,…
-Archery ranges:(below average) Missing arbalest, hand cannons, cav archers and parthian tactics.
-Siege workshop: (mediocre) Only available ram line and mangonel (no onagers).
-Blacksmith: missing last archer armor.
-Economy: all upgrades except crop rotation.
-Dock:(Below average) Missing dry dock, shipwright, heavy demo, cannon galleon and fast fire ship.
-Monastery: (excelent) all techs.

2 Likes

I think this might be incorrect. to the best of my knowledge horses went extinct in the Americas about 10 000 years ago, until europeans brought them over again

1 Like

so basically just copying a load of stuff from aoe3?

2 Likes

this seems very situational

isn’t this the same as ‘town centre get +X LOS’? so how much is it?

I am struggling with north american civs because most of them are so heavily based on colonial times and fit better into aoe3

4 Likes

Mongols built cities.

Why can’t it be 70% Dark Age, 100% at Feudal, 130% Castle and 160% Imp, for example. You have to be bolder when it comes to numbers dealing with this minor of a feature like houses.

That’s a delightful bonus! Love it.

Regeneration on Cavalry is nice, however just like any regeneration feature in the game, it’s pretty much meaningless for the most part, the only unit that utilize it nicely is Camel Archer which stays far from the actuall battle.
The movement bonus thing is a strechy one, very confusing and not intuitive.

You already have 2 eco bonuses, and now you introduced a third one, soon to be a forth one incoming, that’s very Poles, which is kinda a bad design.

Overkill of eco bonuses, too gimmicky. You force it up on the civ, it’s too heavy.

You replace too much, way too much, it’s nice to have 1 replacement, two of them? it’d end up too clowny like Gurajara.

That’s exactly a Kipchak, especially after the UT that makes it good vs. Siege. Sorry but one of the worst UU designs I’ve in awhile. Not justifications nor uniqueness.

That’s exactly a Celtic Ram, Why?

Overall some good ideas that dont sum up into a harmonic balanced and well identified unique civ.

2 Likes

FE already did it with Indians and Portuguese.

At first they were nomads, so no. They only started building permanent cities with the conquest of China but thats not in aoe2 time line.

No, the capitol of the mongols karakurom was built during the aoe2 time frame.A better comparison would be huns or cumans with north americans.

What do you mean the conquest of China is outside the AoE 2 time frame? Or are you talking about the Manchu/Qing conquest of Mongolia? This would be AoE 3 territory, but so are the Sioux. Pretty obviously I’d say. And no that’s not about them existing before the AoE 3 time frame but they need some major contact to other civs before the 17th century.

1 Like

No it’s not the same. It’s like exploring the area around your tc to find resources but u can’t see if the enemy is there. Not sure how much, as i said i don’t wanna balance my suggestions just give ideas

1 Like

oh i understand now. i kind of like this idea

It would be better explained and unexplored fog possibly?

I know but i really can’t see champions or paladins with a native american civ. :confused:

A cavalry archer that has bonus dmg to cavalry is quite unique for me. I wanted to give them also bonus dmg to siege as they don’t have access to onagers or bombard cannons.

There are a lot of similar bonuses in aoe2, making a good civ without repeating one is nearly impossible. You can also say Huns are a version of Franks because of the fast working stables but no.

I just picked 2 ideas, the corral building which doesn’t really work as in aoe3 (eco building vs military) and the unique unit having bonus vs cavalry. I really don’t see it as a problem, aoe2 and aoe3 have a lot of things in common and that isn’t a problem. If something works fine why not adding it to other games? being original can also be achieved by improving already existing ideas.

We’re talking about an RTS game with 40 civs, you must have A LOT in common between the civs in order to maintain high playability, or else it’ll be chaotic mess of identities and historical accuracies at the price of playability.

Conqs are an anti-cavalry unit. That’s their only purpose late-game. You dont need an actual bonus to proffesionalize an unit. Similarly, Mangudai and Kipchaks are Cavalry counters.
However, if you really want to go hardcore with it, I’d adjust their stats in a way that will justify their role. Base damage of 4 (5 Elite) and a quite high bonus to Cavalry, that’s the only way I see this one be pulled off without making it too much of a Mangudai.

You can design a civ without repeating an existing bonus.
Now that you changed it to melee armor instead of training time it feels less of Celts.