New civs? What would you like to see next

My top picks right now would be a Mesoamerican civilization (either Aztec or Maya) and the Khmer. I really want to see a tropical rainforest biome in the game!

After them, maybe Byzantines and Norse?

Hello there, here in Spain there is a lot of people waiting for our faction in AOE4. Being one of the greatest civilizations in history we hope to see it one day in the game.

3 Likes

That would be a cool added unit for HRE

1 Like

Cordoba, Castile and Normandy as a set to round out the region from northern Africa, southern Europe, and Northern Europe.

The Bulgarian empire and Byzantine empire to flush up eastern Europe and match the number of eastern orthodox civs.

Mameluke Sultanate to cover what Cordaba didnt complete in the north African coast.

Kanem-Bornu empire and Ethiopian Empire to get the big central African powers.

Majapahit Empire and Malacca Sultanate.

Joseon empire and Kamakura Shogunate for the the far east.

And thats the entire Old World, more or less.

2 Likes

Bulgaria would make my top ten.

1 Like

Castille, since Spain is a bit modernā€¦

Yes, I would put the Teutonic Knight replacing the MAA in Feudal, then the Hussite Wagon (which would be like the Ribauldequin but unique for the HRE and that would be a link with the Germans of AoE 3 who have it in 2nd age) in Imperial: then you would have a unique unit in each age: Prelate (Dark Age), Teutonic Knight (Feudal Age), Landsknecht (Castle Age) and Hussite Wagon (Imperial Age)ā€¦could also have the Villagerā€™s Wagon (which you can create from Feudal at the Mill)ā€¦

Yes I agreeā€¦

2 Likes

To keep with the time frame that AOE IV seems to cover, the Spanish seems to be a good fit. I like the idea of the Vikings, but the Rus are made up of the Slavic/Viking blending together.

Yes, I would put the Teutonic Knight replacing the MAA in Feudal, then the Hussite Wagon (which would be like the Ribauldequin but unique for the HRE and that would be a link with the Germans of AoE 3 who have it in 2nd age) in Imperial: then you would have a unique unit in each age: Prelate (Dark Age), Teutonic Knight (Feudal Age), Landsknecht (Castle Age) and Hussite Wagon (Imperial Age)ā€¦could also have the Villagerā€™s Wagon (which you can create from Feudal at the Mill)ā€¦

On that, the timeline of this game would make the Teutonic knights a Mediterranean civ - like a kindom centerd in aleppo, not even malta. Recall that this is around the time the Ottos were just winding up, Istanbul is still Constantinople for now. The teutonic state that beefed with the Polish - Lithuanian commonwealth really makes no sense here.

The Austro-Hungarian empire, however does (sorta). It cant be a distinct from the HRE just yet, but what can be done to update the HRE is early access to an infantry gunpowder unit. In the first place, the Ottomans updated using more sophisticated gunpowder siege, adapting guns to infantry came after they saw them used by the HRE first. So, the HRE should be the civ with access to the age 3 handcannon unit - renamed handgonner - in place of the Ottomans.

Given how much power most HRE players lose just by refusing to use any real ranged support, lets first see if the civs can benefit from an incentive to make more sophisticated armies with ranged support, as opposed to trying to enable a full melee death ball.

I would like to see Hussite wagons. I donā€™t think they should be weak to ranged units like ribauldequin though. Maybe a slightly different role.

The State of the Teutonic Order (in the Southern Baltic) existed since the 13th Century and fell before the formation of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
By the time the Ottomans took Constantinople, the Teutonic Order was already past its prime (The Battle of Grunwald took place almost half a century before). Three ao2 campaigns actually feature them as rivals

But wasnt it still more of a knight order that was funded and served multiple states at that time as opposed to a dominion of its own?

Put a decent size team on it I dont see why not

It was both things during the Middle Ages, but after the Baltic Crusades they consolidated their dominions and created their own crusader state, which is usually called ā€œState of the Teutonic Orderā€

1 Like
  1. Byzantines, you canā€™t have a game about medieval warfare without eastern roman empire
    2 Japan, because everyone like samurais

i think these 2 civs should be added as soon as possible

1 Like

Yes, they will not be Vikings, but Danes: Norwegian Empire (872-1397) and Kalmar Union (1397-1523)ā€¦

Yes, it seems valid to me, I consider that the game can be divided like this:

Dark Age (800-1000): Viking Age

Feudal Age (1000-1200): Crusades

Castle Age (1200-1400): Expansion of the Mongol Empire and the Hundred Years War

Imperial Age (1400-1600): Renaissance

Yes it could be good against heavy infantry (AoE 2) or heavy cavalry (AoE 3)ā€¦

2 Likes

Would love to see the return of the VIKINGS(scandinavians/danes)! east or west old rome byzantium , italy or maybe something like sicaly or venice. Egypt mamluke empire the warriors of salah ad-din famous for horse archery and theyre plated catafracti. Poland and bohemia , the Bulgars and maybe the medievil empire of aksum/kush . Iberia/Spain and or portugal , Aragon etc. AND DEF DONT FORGET IRELAND AND THE CELTS!
And def add a crusade campaign that you could play both ways either as salah ad din as the mamlukes or lionhearth richard as the english always works. maybe add the lowlands as Flanders . make a campaign about otto the great and the establishment of the holy roman empire

4 Likes

May the imperial campaign be from Barbarossa to Charles V of Habsburg (1152-1525)ā€¦

1 Like

Please give me Japan!!!

1 Like

Iā€™d like eastern roman empire and japanese so much

1 Like

Yes! there ABSOLUTELY needs to be a Gaelic or Scottish/Irish Civilization. They held off the English and Norse their entire existence, gameplay-wise they would have OP music, cool architecture, fascinating linguistics, and HIGHLANDERS and GALLOWGLASSES. Whatā€™s not to love?

So little games give Gaelic & Celtic cultures any love. Thankful for Mount & Blade 2 for not being among those games to ignore this awesome culture! Now - AOE4 should also do a wonderful job at it!

1 Like