New Civs?

Indian
Egyptian
American
Vikings

@ā€œFritz Kolbeā€ said:
Personally, I would like to see Israelites added. Even if one doesnā€™t believe the Bible, Israel according to history played a large role in the region and times dealt in the Age of Empire and Rise of Rome time frame. They conquered Canaan (modern Palestine), set up a kingdom, divided in civil war, the northern kingdom fell to Assyria, the southern fell to Babylon, They were released to rebuild Jerusalem by Persia, they sat on the battle lines during the wars between Greece and Egypt after the death of Alexander the Great, and lastly they had several small revolts against Rome which culminated in the third destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70.

Yes. And Maybe not as a complete new civ. But as a fourth Egypt-style civ (because their building style is much the same in my mind) but then with their own bonuses.

When I was younger (age 10 or so), I always thought the Sumerians were the Israelis. Because of their bronze age house-style. But also because of my biblical background: I mistook ā€˜Sumeriaā€™ with ā€˜Samariaā€™. :smiley:

Personally, I hope that some new civs will be added. However, I do not understand, why some people insist on adding civs that are not connected with ancient history at all (vikings, for example)? Anyway, this game lacks barbarian tribes (Gauls, Germans, Dacians, Scythians), Indians and perhaps some african ancient kingdoms (Ethiopia, Numidia). Israel, as it was posted above, sounds like a good idea too.

I think that list of possible new civilizations is not going to be that large :#

Russia would be cool to seeā€¦

@qweytr24 said:

@ā€œFritz Kolbeā€ said:

@qweytr24 said:
There were no Incas or Vikings during the AoE1 time period. Instead of those, Iā€™d like to see Germans and Celts and the Vedic civilization added. If you want new world civs, perhaps also Mayans and Olmecs.

Germans would be various Gothic tribes and people groups collectively called by the Romans as barbarians (literally meaning: ones without history). The Celts would actually be called the Picts who would not live in Scotland or Ireland but in Caledonia. If they wish to remain true to the history, the names and civs will need to reflect the people an societies as they knew themselves. Perhaps for the lesser known peoples the modern people group can be mentioned in a tool tips display with an explanation of who these people are and why the modern designation for the culture is not used.

No, Goths were only one of the various Germanic tribes of the time and they were too late for the gameā€™s timeframe. When I was talking about the Germans, I mostly meant the tribes Marcomanni, Alamanni, Sicambri and Quadi that actually fought Rome in the later parts of the period. But none of those tribes were significant enough individually, so I think an wider term like Germans would be better for the civilization.

Picts were also only one of many Celtic tribes and they didnā€™t really do anything significant during the time period. I was mainly referring to the Celts of Gaul and Hispania and kingdoms like Noricum.

I stand corrected on the Germanic tribes. Though, the Picts had to have done something, or Hadrian would not have tried to wall them off.

@qweytr24 said:
Iā€™d like to see Germans added.

@ā€œFritz Kolbeā€ said:
Personally, I would like to see Israelites added.

Any other good ideas? :stuck_out_tongue:

I donā€™t think adding more civs is necessary instead I would be glad if they gave us the opportunity to make custom skins for civilizations either in an expansion or with easily moddable engine. As an amateur 3D artist I think finding concept which harmonize with each other and the whole game itself is the harder part. These arenā€™t complex 3D models nor animations. In conclusion, if they give us a practical way to create mods I will happily make you some content along with other modders if the game is worthy enough.

@AsunderHarp8390 said:
I donā€™t think adding more civs is necessary instead I would be glad if they gave us the opportunity to make custom skins for civilizations either in an expansion or with easily moddable engine. As an amateur 3D artist I think finding concept which harmonize with each other and the whole game itself is the harder part. These arenā€™t complex 3D models nor animations. In conclusion, if they give us a practical way to create mods I will happily make you some content along with other modders if the game is worthy enough.

I think this could work with adding new civilizations as well. I think that since the technology being used to create this edition is more advanced, the engine could easily accommodate more civilizations and balance them. There are going to be some civilizations that outside of a unique unit and changed civ bonuses, probably would only need to be a re-skin or slightly modified model. I too would like to see a healthy modding community grow out of this game, and certainly that would involve model, skin, and animation editing.

@LegoVogel said:

Yes. And Maybe not as a complete new civ. But as a fourth Egypt-style civ (because their building style is much the same in my mind) but then with their own bonuses.

When I was younger (age 10 or so), I always thought the Sumerians were the Israelis. Because of their bronze age house-style. But also because of my biblical background: I mistook ā€˜Sumeriaā€™ with ā€˜Samariaā€™. :smiley:

I could see this working if slight changes were made to the models (for example, removing the obelisks from certain buildings, and the temples/tabernacle would need ramps instead of stairs). They could still be given a unique unit and their own civilization bonuses and drawbacks.

I remember thinking the same thing about the Sumerians at about the same age. I too misread Sumeria as Samaria. I had almost forgotten about that.

@ā€œi Red Lionā€ said:

You mean Scythia? That will be nice indeed. (Iranian civ, but on Russian soil. The Uralic and Slavic tribes were less civilized in that era)

@LegoVogel ^This^

@ā€œLaurens BMā€ said:

@ā€œi Red Lionā€ said:

You mean Scythia? That will be nice indeed. (Iranian civ, but on Russian soil. The Uralic and Slavic tribes were less civilized in that era)

@LegoVogel ^This^

Yes perhaps at that time the Russians were called skythia,I do not know much what was in those days But the Russian people always existed,
And I would like to see the Russian people in this game :wink:

@ā€œi Red Lionā€ said:

@ā€œLaurens BMā€ said:

@ā€œi Red Lionā€ said:

@LegoVogel ^This^

Yes perhaps at that time the Russians were called skythia,I do not know much what was in those days But the Russian people always existed,

Scythians were not Russians. They were more closely related to Persians. There were no Russians during the AoE1 timeline.

@qweytr24 said:

@ā€œi Red Lionā€ said:

@ā€œLaurens BMā€ said:

@ā€œi Red Lionā€ said:

@LegoVogel ^This^

Scythians were not Russians. They were more closely related to Persians. There were no Russians during the AoE1 timeline.

I hope that the Russian people will appear in the Age of Empires Definitive Edition :wink:

@ā€œLord Tokugawaā€ said:
Personally, I hope that some new civs will be added. However, I do not understand, why some people insist on adding civs that are not connected with ancient history at all (vikings, for example)? Anyway, this game lacks barbarian tribes (Gauls, Germans, Dacians, Scythians), Indians and perhaps some african ancient kingdoms (Ethiopia, Numidia). Israel, as it was posted above, sounds like a good idea too.

I think that list of possible new civilizations is not going to be that large :#

@qweytr24 said:

@ā€œi Red Lionā€ said:

@ā€œLaurens BMā€ said:

@ā€œi Red Lionā€ said:

@LegoVogel ^This^

More like the modern day Iranians indeed. The Uralic and Slavic tribes were more like the modern day Russians. But they where not very far in technology and civilized in that era, they were more like barbarians. I rather play a more civilized civ like the ancient Greeks or the Sythians, Egyptians etc. @ā€œi Red Lionā€

There were no vikings at the given period but there was a Nordic Bronze Age (Trundholm Culture). They could be an European Culture featuring Celts, Hallstatt Culture, Trundholm Culture and maybe some Slavic Iron Age (Chernogorovka or Novocherkassk Cultures).

No, I donā€™t think there is the need for Mesoamerican Civs, but they could expand to Indo-Iranians(Also re-arranging Persia properly), Indus Valley (Guptas,Mauryans etc), Mediterranean (Carthaginian, Palmyran, Phoenician, Canaanite) [Renaming the Current mediterranean to Balkanic and replacing, in the current Roman, Carthaginians and Palmyrans with Etruscans and Trojans/or Illyrians] etc.

There are plenty of possibilities to make new civilizations.

@ThaneWulfgharn said:
There were no vikings at the given period but there was a Nordic Bronze Age (Trundholm Culture). They could be an European Culture featuring Celts, Hallstatt Culture, Trundholm Culture and maybe some Slavic Iron Age (Chernogorovka or Novocherkassk Cultures).

No, I donā€™t think there is the need for Mesoamerican Civs, but they could expand to Indo-Iranians(Also re-arranging Persia properly), Indus Valley (Guptas,Mauryans etc), Mediterranean (Carthaginian, Palmyran, Phoenician, Canaanite) [Renaming the Current mediterranean to Balkanic and replacing, in the current Roman, Carthaginians and Palmyrans with Etruscans and Trojans/or Illyrians] etc.

There are plenty of possibilities to make new civilizations.

Judging by what I can find on Wikipedia, there is no known Trundholm culture. Just a single archaeological find made in a place called Trundholm. And the Novocherkassk Culture was not even Slavic, but related to the Cimmerians. They are both very obscure and I can think of a hundred civilizations that would be more deserving of being added. Some Celtic and Indian civilizations are perhaps the most significant ones that are missing and should be the first ones added in a potential DLC.

All nations are interesting And sue the right to be in Age of Empires,And the more nations the more interesting,Letā€™s see how it will be in reality :wink:

I made a list of some nice civs to add. Based on all the comments in this discussion:

Some think there is lacking a civ from the east.
India >> Mauryans

Then we all think it would be nice to add a Western-Europese civ.
Someting like Gaul or Germans?

For a Northern-African civ I would choose Numidia or Nubia (Egypt like before the 4th century named as Kush, more Ethiopian like).

And for an Euro-Asian civ the Sythians.

Personally I think another Hellenic civ would be nice. Like the Seleucids.

Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong

@ā€œFritz Kolbeā€ said:
I could see this working if slight changes were made to the models (for example, removing the obelisks from certain buildings, and the temples/tabernacle would need ramps instead of stairs). They could still be given a unique unit and their own civilization bonuses and drawbacks.

Yeah if you build it according to their real architecture. The same goes for the Sumerians, who have the ā€˜Egyptā€™ style, and should have the ā€˜Babylonian-buildstyleā€™ instead. Mainly because of their wonder.
However, you could argue of giving Isreal an Egypt building style, because according to the bible, they had their most building experience in Egypt. :pensive:

I remember thinking the same thing about the Sumerians at about the same age. I too misread Sumeria as Samaria. I had almost forgotten about that.

:smiley: