New Main Menu and User Interface

Well you are rigth that I migth have misunderstood.
And I have to say I totally agree, today I have only queued for Empire Wars, bacause of challenge, and not played any game, because it feels so laggy and unresponsive now…

It was not that bad I have to say: walls were not considered as expensive, also stables and archery ranges and that stuff. Only for castles, TCs and (for some reason I do not get) Monasteries. (not sure how behaviour of shift deleting was, but I think I had to press enter to accept it and it never interrupted me that bad… but now even clicking enter would not accept the box anymore :joy:…)

You invested time into a needless UI redesign? You could have fixed more bugs such as complete instability of ranked matches: black screens, 00:00:00 lobby bug, lag, etc.

The new menu is not only ugly (it looks like it was made by a programming novice in a create-a-menu tutorial), everything takes at least 2-5 more clicks now.

I don’t understand what the person approving these changes was thinking.

4 Likes

Enter completely bugged, half of times works half of times instead of pressing Yes, send signal to that transparent-black effect. Also I didn’t liked that effect, just closing screen, even “are you sure do you want to delete” message completely closing the screen and with buggy enter there is a bug, you can open chat and delete message at same time (by pressing enter and delete fastly), delete message will be useless, clicking yes or no doesn’t matter.

Nothing wrong with the event icons but they do have to be more serious like historical icons for leaders. For example. the chieftain with the falcon for the Mongols was relevant, the rest are memes.

8 Likes

I need 2 clicks from main menu to the campaign menu. What was 1 click now, is now too. And the menu is super slow too. I need like 10 seconds to get from one point to another which was done earlier in one second and 1 click… That kills immediately all excitement playing the game.

You hid more and more behind submenus without telling people where to find something and if you dont know the cogwheel is actually part of the game and not just options then you search very much.

3 Likes

I like it. Its just a menu, you will get used to it. If you are typing paragraphs to complain about extra clicks, then I have some bad news for you. Maybe you could have saved that APM for the menu. My point is everyone loves a moan. It takes all of 2 minutes to readjust to the new UI. For new players its all good as they have nothing to compare.
If you wonder why they never listen to us, maybe its because they would have to read through thousands of pointless complaints, making the actual constructive criticism lost in a sea of tears. c’mon guys

I agree they should keep content relevant to the theme of medieval and aoe2.

btw if they are creating those models to create the icons then why can’t they put a bit more effort and add animation to it to render them into unit graphics… :confused:

The question is why rework something which was not broken? what was wrong in the old UI? couldn’t they invest the same time in developing some other content for the game?

4 Likes

I understand, but it is done now. That time is spent and we have a new UI. No complaining is going to reallocate that time. Maybe they made a mistake, but they are trying their hardest with a tiny overworked team. This pointless feedback is lowering the chance of any helpful criticism being heard. THE DEVS ARE ON OUR SIDE and love the game as much as us. The question is why complain about something that’s done and finished.

1 Like

Because it is bad and takes a lot of time… there are really big delays of several seconds on not high end PCs when loading these animations. As soon as I open that menu I feel like “well, do I really wanna play AOE today?”

5 Likes

C’mon dude. Devs only need to look at the poll to understand how overwhelmingly negative this change is.

Yes readjusting to something that wastes you 5 more minutes in EVERY game session is easy for you.

Then what’s the point of all the patches?

3 Likes

It’s pinned, meaning they’ll see it

Most of the community suggestions that never were even pinned made it into the game

Let’s be fair

2 Likes

A+ for drama studies. you cant seriously say that a 3 second delay makes you question whether you want to play the game. I don’t know why I’m even replying haha

5 minutes?!?! what game are you playing. It takes an extra 5 seconds at most. You are grossly exaggerating your points. If you cant find what you want on this UI and it takes you 5 minutes every time, you may have a memory problem.

I understand that some people are not happy but give the devs a rest. Its just a bloomin menu with all the options it had before. this was one of the main features of the new update and I highly doubt they’d change it back.

I was wrong to say ‘‘why complain’’ and I do understand that is basically the point of these forums.

You forgot the devs do read some of these posts and they are trying their hardest to deliver a updates for an ancient game, I cant imagine how frustrating it must be. If you spoke to them face to face you would be full of gratitude, thanking them for improving and keeping alive your favourite game. ITS JUST A UI, complain about something more crucial/important. I guess its a sign of success if the main problem was the UI haha

Did you read what I cited? All I am against is “why complain about what’s done and finished”. If I don’t trust that devs would listen to us, I won’t even post here.

1 Like

I was wrong to say that, my bad!

For sure. One of my first reactions to the patch is conveying the gratitude for finally fixing the defensive buildings’ attack priority bug. But that doesn’t mean we should neglect the negative side of changes. Yes devs should take a good rest. I don’t mind when the next patch would come out. I only wish they hear us.

My bad, I misunderstood the meaning of your post

1 Like

Completely understand. Not sure why I’m feeling so riotous today. I’ll leave threads alone that aren’t my cup of tea in the future haha. In a few weeks I think everyone will be adjusted to the new UI, but maybe it will be a problem for a long time. People hate change but I’ve played for 5 months and have already adjusted to it with no problem. (I know for the OG’s its different)

They’re distracting and waste time

From what?

After all the good stuff we got with this patch?