Old timers check in! We pretend it is 1998!

I’m typing this inside my mom’s womb. This game looks amazing! <3 Can’t wait to play it after my birth. :slight_smile:

long time… i miss you age of empires

Wow, brings back memories when I was a MS software demonstrator at 50th and 8th in NYC, demo-ing the brand-new Age of Empire game to salesmen from Comp-USA and Egghead Software ! I still have the original Demo Disks !

I remember staying up late watching my older brother and sister play for hours, sometimes ending with a couple nuke troopers.

My old AOE, AoK, Urban Assault and Empire Earth Machine thousands of years ago, hahaha :smiley:

And here is my host station today … Just got a new Edifier S550 instead of the HCS5640 in the pic.

(

Man… how did I miss this?? This takes me baaaack! Zone.com days… Clans like FOPT (even if you didn’t agree with their clan ratings), WRTW, BC, so many others… dang…

The year is 97 or 98. I am 7 or 8 years old.
The neighborhood kid is showing off his new game_ (like he always showed off his nice things) _and not letting me play. :frowning:
Instead, I watched him play for hours.
I did enjoy that actually, and discovered a lot of new concepts and words! Like Ballista!

Fast forward to 1999.
I am 9 years old.
Age of Kings comes out. I saw it on the shelf at Sam’s Club and begged my grandfather to buy it for me. Immediately hooked. Played and replayed the campaigns and became obsessed with reading up on the history (was already obsessed with medieval history, and Braveheart was my favorite movie at that age, so this was a recipe for addiction).

The game was a staple of my childhood. To this day I quote the funny voice commands.
I even made a model working trebuchet for my 6th grade science project.

Sadly, Dial up was so bad, I never played it online.

Fast forward to Circa 2008, I am 18 and in college. Found my old disc. Binge played the game.
Disc became destroyed that year (probably for the better). Sad face again.

Fast forward to circa 2014, I was 24.
Learned there was an AoE II HD Edition on Steam!!!

For the first time, I successfully played AoE with friends online.

_There was much rejoicing. _

Fast forward to 2017…

Now you tell me that soon I can play the original game that my childhood self was deprived of?
Huzzah!!!**

@LordGotwals said:
The year is 97 or 98. I am 7 or 8 years old.
The neighborhood kid is showing off his new game_ (like he always showed off his nice things) _and not letting me play. :frowning:
Instead, I watched him play for hours.
I did enjoy that actually, and discovered a lot of new concepts and words! Like Ballista!

Fast forward to 1999.
I am 9 years old.
Age of Kings comes out. I saw it on the shelf at Sam’s Club and begged my grandfather to buy it for me. Immediately hooked. Played and replayed the campaigns and became obsessed with reading up on the history (was already obsessed with medieval history, and Braveheart was my favorite movie at that age, so this was a recipe for addiction).

The game was a staple of my childhood. To this day I quote the funny voice commands.
I even made a model working trebuchet for my 6th grade science project.

Sadly, Dial up was so bad, I never played it online.

Fast forward to Circa 2008, I am 18 and in college. Found my old disc. Binge played the game.
Disc became destroyed that year (probably for the better). Sad face again.

Fast forward to circa 2014, I was 24.
Learned there was an AoE II HD Edition on Steam!!!

For the first time, I successfully played AoE with friends online.

_There was much rejoicing. _

Fast forward to 2017…

Now you tell me that soon I can play the original game that my childhood self was deprived of?
Huzzah!!!**

Love this post! So many players out there who have grown up with the series, got to love the Forgotten Empires team for breathing fresh life into the franchise :slight_smile:

I remember playing this on my gateway 2000 350 MHz computer. It came with it. I FELL IN LOVE. I still remember watching villagers cut wood and pick berries for hours until a phalanx fully upgraded came and killed me. Would die to phalanx so I could watch villagers again.

I remember it being really expensive when it first came out. I borrowed it off my mate. The music and troops sound effects were awesome. Loved some of the cheats too, you could vaporise a whole army with one photon man!

bangs mouse on table “Bloody ball…”

Will it run on 32 MB of RAM?

1997 we downloaded the original AoE trial, it took about 3 days. We had so much fun playing that Hittite campaign against the Egyptians =)

Hands down, the Yamato Heavy Horse archers and Triremes were my absolute favorite ways to wreck havoc in this game!

played naki on msn gaming zone. hope to see some old friends

I downloaded the demo at work. Coworkers and I stayed up afeter work to play.

Always_A_Loser checking in ~ circa 1997

Love,
RadRoofer

Crook checking in, Super cho wars. I see a few familiar faces, shrooms and irish_sniper. Maybe we can get us some ggs in before the bigdaddies come rolling over us.

Oh man I remember playing AOE1 with 4 of my coworkers in multiplayer mode as soon as it turned to 5:00pm

AOE Best game ever, and Harder that all their succesors B)

My mother got a call from School saying I was falling to sleep in class. She then discovered our secret. Me and my sisters waiting until she was deep sleeping to go and play AoE in my recently upgraded 233Mhz K6-2, 16MB RAM and a Vodoo Banshee found for $89 at Babbage’s. We had been playing like crazy for months. So, one day, there was no power cord or keyboard until after the weekends. I think we were addicted! Thanks for the resurrection.