Optimal Walling: JavaScript to test a QoL (Age of Salamanders)

Very nice! Although, is it actually too generous to the game? Compare the two screenshots below – first one looks right, but does the game actually do this for the second one?

The old (i.e. current game implementation) wall seems shorter than the new one (i.e. optimal walling) because I display grey color on the tiles where both the new and old methods are valid.

I just changed it to have a color in between when both are valid.

Does it seem better for you ?

Yup, seems better to me.
Now I just have to count and compare tiles… xp

1 Like

This image shows well what you are talking about.
optimal_walling_compare

I also used it as inspiration (together with the DE reveal trailer) for the beginning of the scenario trailer :wink:

6 Likes

bump for dev attention, very nice work and suggestion if you can switch between old/new with the same bind as gate rotation

1 Like

I just saw this from T90, which is a perfect illustration of this issue:

2 Likes

“That has to be a bug” - indeed.

Well guys, we did it

1 Like

Thank you to the devs for implementing this ! :blush:
And thanks a lot to all of you for your inputs and your help in promoting this ! :smiley:

Viper seems to like it a lot :snake:

6 Likes

GG you did it. 20 characters

2 Likes

Question about the current feature:
Is there some way to toggle between the possible ways that are all optimal?

The diagonal part could be at the begin of the wall or at the end. Both are most likely optimal, but the game just seems to pick one of the two.

Unfortunately, this part of the solution was not (yet?) implemented.
Currently, the game seems to select the solution with the longest wall section on the side of the initial wall tile.

There is a new discussion about it in this topic.
Your feedback is welcome there. The more we show interest in this feature, the more likely it is to be implemented :wink: