Persians Are Coming This DLC? (DLC Civilizations Discussion)

I do not think that Omani or such unpopular niche choices are realistic.

who expected the Hausa?

to be fair to you though, the Omani might be difficult because I tried to look into them and there is very little I could find out aside from very general information. Except for Dhows which are already in the game, I have no idea what kind of units they would have, and granted I’m someone who wants Oman. However, these devs have been very good at finding obscure information to add into the game, so anything’s possible

It just takes a bit of digging. In the links below it mentions their unique Kattara swords and rhino shields, so a Kattara Swordsman would be a good unit. They also had cavalry of both camels and horses and plenty of firearms and artillery. They fought a series of wars against the Portuguese so there would be some good insight in accounts of those battles.

Units could be as simple as naming it after regions they ruled like “Zanj Musketeer” or based on neighbouring Arab units.

Hopes are rising again

Persia-Oman serves as an Arabian dlc…

Well yes, it’s called Age of Empires for a reason…

Exactly…

The Falcon Company functions the same as the Act II version of the Black Family Estate from the original game, except that they train Settlers instead of Villagers, can build Outposts, Barracks, and Stables instead of War Huts and Corrals, cannot build Community Plazas, and can advance to the Imperial Age.

The Knights of St. John or the Order of St. John are a civilization which appear in Act I: Blood, and was a European religious organization that fought during the Crusades and controlled Malta and parts of Italy. They are limited to the Fortress Age and generally unable to access gunpowder units, though they can get Falconets through Home city Shipments. They also have access to the Mortar in the Fortress Age and often begin with Highlanders as starting units. They share two unique units with the Spanish and share the Mediterranean architectural style for many of their buildings. Moreover, their Home City was originally based on the Spanish Home City, although after the release of Knights of the Mediterranean, their Home City now reuses the Maltese Home City (albeit with different buildings).

Of course, you have to go a little outside the spectrum of known civs and think about exotic civs that could enter the game (the Hausa enter the game because of the Sokoto Caliphate, I even had to look it up on Wikipedia to find out why they put the Hausa in first place)…

Of course, that’s where the issue lies, they look in historical documents not just in Wikipedia…

3 Likes

I remember a lot of people wanted Songhai in the past, but ultimately I’m glad they went with Hausa since the Sokoto Caliphate was the dominate player in the region for a good span of the game’s timeline unlike Songhai. It was also smart since although the Sokoto Caliphate was relatively small, Hausa people live all over Western Africa.

Speaking of going outside the spectrum, if they don’t add Oman, the Uzbeks are also definitely on the table to accompany the Persians. I personally think they’re unlikely, but they do fill a niche that’s lacking. Namely, a nomadic Turkic faction. They have a lot of history and some really interesting aesthetics as far as clothing and architecture go.

Hausa? Of course noone expected it and for this reason African Royals have the worst numbers of Steam reviews and most probably it has the worst sales numbers compared to The USA civ or KoTM thanks to Italian civ.

One thing for sure here is that it is all about the money. Although Omani sounds as exotic and cool, it will not sell. For this reason, European Poles and Danes DLC has the most chance. As a bitter fact, even Canada might sell more than many other potential civ.

2 Likes

To be honest, if you wanted a big seller DLC you would do well with Persia, Poland and Brazil. God knows what the theme would be there to tie it tho…

The probelm with Joke arguments is that they hurt when they become reality

Blame developers if it will be any civs v2, not me. :grin: and the reason why I am saying that it is a joke argument is because I can also say; Brazil will be Mexico v2, Canada will be The USA v2, Koreans will be China v2, etc. etc. etc.

Everyone has its own preferences, I dont argue about that. The one thing I am sure is that Polish Lithuanians and Danish Norwegians will sell no matter what because many player started this game when it was released with European civs and they love to play as them, and in today’s reality European civs are quite different than each other thanks to DE.

1 Like

I cannot for the life of me see how someone looks at Poland and think to themselves:

“yup, this civ will have strong over pop eco, bad cavalry, a 2 pop melee infantry sword unit and no musketeer”

How can you possibly think that is how Poland will look?

2 Likes

That not exactly how i would interpret it.

Poland i think is
-Strong Cavalry
-Robust Economy (Maybe like ottoman with less coin cards)
-Strong skirmishers
-average Heavy infantry

1 Factory and 1 special building equivalent of a factory(i dont know what it is but theory crafting)

1 Like

How come strong skirm but not heavy infantry.

Also i hope not that we get another civ with only 1 factory.

Its fine as long as its somehow better than a lombard

Brazilians may be somewhat unique as a former Portuguese colony. The USA and Mexicans are very different from each other, although they belong to the same category of civilization.
Canadians don’t make sense as civ in this time frame and they certainly won’t be civ.
Koreans will definitely copy the well-known pattern of the Asian civ, so they would be very distinctive.

European and Post-colonial civs will always be more popular - especially among “normies”.The three most popular Asian countries are always included in the games or as the first Asian DLCs.

As a Pole, I can tell you that Poles civ should be characterized by:

• Strong and diverse cavalry
  • Basic infantry - maybe even unique, but weak
  • Settler guerrillas
  • Poor economy based on the Folwark System. Little industry
  • Cultural proximity to Russia - architecture and status of Peasants (should share content with Russian civ)
11 Likes

Like an unique infantry unit for the Poles that will be armed with a war scythe?

If war hammers and battle axes were still used on horseback during the time period of [Age of Empires 3] it would be cool if there was a cavalry unit armed with such a weapon.

Poland having Scythemen is basically guaranteed if they’re added as a civ. That already appeared in the files of the unused Polish revolt.

6 Likes

Not sure why others have said that the infantry are standard/strong when from what I had read they weren’t - glad to see a Pole confirm it :D. They didn’t really use pikes (officers seemed to be the designated pike/polearm guy - so thinly spread!) and their musketers were mediocre, though made up for it by often using Tabor forts to shoot from in relative safety. They should still be unique though,

I’d also add another bullet point:
• Western-European unit shipments - PLC should be able to ship in for example, Scottish and German soldiers to cover the lack of an infantry roster. Could be Basilica-style shipping (though ideally on its own shipping track) via a Magnate’s Mansion or something.

tbh sounds more like a revolt lol

1 Like

The weaknesses of Civ Poles could be strengthened thanks to unique Politicians - Elective Kings.

Why? Let’s remember that in the time frame of AoE 3, Poland had moments of decline - since. 17th century until the partitions of Poland. Moreover, during the partition period there were numerous uprisings - the most important were the January and November Uprisings. This is too important a characteristic of Polish history - of great importance to Poles. Their memory evokes greater emotions than the Winged Hussars and the relief of Vienna. The uprisings are treated as sacred - the national martyrology of Poles.

1 Like