POLL: AOE 1 graphics into ROR?

I’ll see what I can do.

3 Likes

They dont look bad, I wonder why devs didnt add it.

This should be an official mod that could be activated on graphic options

1 Like

Yes, best option is to include AOE1 and 2 mode. Even though 2 mode is unnecessary, just has to be included because they already changed the UI… but that way everybody will be satisfied.

1 Like

This is a great point! I would like all of the terrain from Age I to be ported to RoR, but these more distinctive and iconic elements would suffice. The mines and berries in DE are very reminiscent of those in the classic game and I can’t ignore the difference with those in Age II.

2 Likes

Should import a lot of the Aoe DE terrain and eye candy as additional assets in a future update.
The more tools a scenario dev has, the better.

3 Likes

Well, I think we have achieved some type of consesus that at least the AOE1 DE terrain and all (or most, those that do not overlap with already existing ones) scenario editor units have to be added.

2 Likes

Bump for democracy
Bump for democracy

What we need is the ROR scenario editor and the AOE2DE editor content to be available in the other without major surgery.

4 Likes

sadly i dont think they will allow it. increases the size of download for people who dont care about ROR/AOE1 and also graphical restriction for people who paid. my worst nightmare!

1 Like

And the other problem is that they left AOE1 to rot and there probably won’t be any updates for it.

What can we do, go back to the old AOE1 and mod it?

1 Like

I’m still kinda optimistic for that.
Like half of AoE2 content is still available in RoR even without mods (you just need to look up the IDs in AGE) and I could see them turn that into an official feature.

But for RoR content in normal AoE2 I’m less optimistic.
Not sure how they handle DLC ownership in the Editor because I never not owned one. Can you use civilisations you don’t have access to as enemies? Can you place their units? Can you make their UUs accessible via triggers?
But how ever they handled that they can also handle the RoR content in AoE2.

I also don’t think they will take down mods that use RoR assets.
They didn’t take down Rome at War that used a lot of AoE1DE assets either.

It has been without updates for a while. They probably stopped patching it as soon as they decided to do RoR.

AoE1DE doesn’t have official mod support, only custom scenarios and campaigns.

1 Like

I mean… the 1997 one :smiley:

1 Like

in AOE2 scenario editor, if you don’t have the DLC u can’t access AOE1/ROR units, not even the graphical files.

their argument was copyright and size of download for players who doesn’t want it. but they allow the opposite, ROR players have content from AOE2. so yeah even though I think its both, its probably geared towards the later since majority of aoe2 players would be upset about space, though its only like another few gb at most.

hopefully in 2-3 yrs once people upgraded their PC they would make it available. when you include an unit that is 80MB in size and microsoft only grants like 100KB/s download, you’d quickly realize its simply unplayable for anyone who joins lobby as they’d end up waiting over 20+ mins.

1 Like

I was talking about other DLCs. Because I wonder how they are handled.

RoR is completely separate and you can’t access any RoR content in the AoE2 editor even if you own the DLC.

RoR is practically a mod. So everything that RoR doesn’t overwrite is still like normal AoE2.

1 Like

I’m not sure, but I suspect, that except ROR other AOE2 DLCs are easily made, you already have buildings and mechanics within the engine. Just give them different graphics/names/we.

With ROR everything has to be ported from another game and there might have been issues with compatibility which would explain why ROR is so bare-bones.

1 Like

Bare bones? ### mean the AoE1 campaigns are missing?
The visually missing things (terrain and resource graphics) are definitely not because of technical limitations.

1 Like

Well half the gaia units are missing. Stone Path, Grass clumps, Rocks etc.

We got no scenario editor buildings like you have Arch of Constantine/Aachen cathedral and like 100 more buildings in AOE2.

We could have got Ziggurat, Lighthouse of Alexandria, Temple of Zeus, those type of stuff you know? And unique wonders too. I will make an extensive list with suggestions when I have the time.
As well as heroes like Hamurabbi, Darius ETC. Etc. There’s like 20 heroes in the game, half of them are fun or cheat units.

1 Like

You mean that they use AOE2 sprites instead of AoE1 sprites? Not missing units, just different visuals.
Elephant ears are wrong, Oh no!

Good but here again, he got the AoE2 versions.

So you expect a DLC to suddenly add the same amount of content that AoE2DE had slowly been added since the release of AoE2HD in 2013? That’s 10 years worth of stuff.

Not sure what you mean with that?
You expect them to add a lot of Heroes to RoR? Just because?

So over all you expected RoR to have 10 years worth of content added at once?

1 Like

The AOE1 grass clumps and so forth add much more details to the terrain than the AOE2 flowers/grass beds. You can stack them on top of each other for much more detail.

And the Unique buildings and heroes took me a couple of hours of research. Just need some time to write it down extensively. Fact that they needed 10 years to add them doesn’t mean it requires so much time to create a few cosmetic buildings.

1 Like

do they have any new hero icons for AOE1 portion? or still no heroes, no icons

1 Like