Poll (are you buying the game)

Would you expect a AAA title to be priced as an AAA title yet only have the content of a small indie project?

Do you have access to v1.0 of the game?
How can you say how much content does it have?

What is the number of map types to chose from?
How long and complex are the campaigns?
What is the depth of skirmish customization?
How complex is the level editor?

What are we judging here :question:

5 Likes

I will actually buy the game on/after release but not preorder, that would be a message to M$soft that the game looked promising, which it clearly does not right now, plus their teaser politics and the way the devs answered to fanā€™s questions suck BIG TIME.

If the game sucks, Iā€™ll make sure to quickly refund it and give it a negative steam review and rating.
If itā€™s to my satisfaction, Iā€™ll of course keep it and give it a positive one.
Simple as that.

1 Like

Based purchasing practices.

https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/cheat-codes-scenario-editor-and-global-queue-wont-come-at-launch/169022/33

For an age game, those things should always come at launch, especially scenario editor

I know that news and Iā€™m not happy about it, but what does that have to do with calling this game ā€˜small indie project?ā€™
Does map editor/modding tools make game ā€˜grand, AAA-tierā€™ title? Majority of strategy games do not have these things. For classic RTS games like AoE itā€™s much more common. Here there will be available, just later.

Theyā€™ve chosen to postpone the release of these tools instead of moving the release date for the whole game. For me itā€™s not a deal-breaker, because I almost never buy games at release, but if I was planning to do that I would consider waiting for them to come.
Still- this is a good argument when advising people to not preorder the game. Sorry but calling this game ā€˜small indie projectā€™ because of that is just ridiculous.
I was using map editor in all AoE game, but if I had to guess Iā€™d say maybe 5% of players get involved with map creation.

1 Like

You mean RTS games since classic RTS is a lot different then something like TW or Chess

Yes but is is priced the same or similar as past AAA AoE without the same amount of content. That is bad

When I say ā€˜strategyā€™ I meanā€™ strategyā€™. Doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s Total War, Tropico, Age of Empires or Stellaris.

How do you know how much content does it have? Itā€™s ok value gameā€™s worth based on things like that, but for majority of people map editor is a tool, not something they count towards ā€˜peoper contentā€™ - number of maps, civs, campaigns etc.
It is a tool and itā€™s coming later.

Same as before? You know AoE III had one campaign when it came out, with 3 acts (Blood-Ice-Steel). IV will launch with how many campaigns. 4?

Classic RTS

Not Classic RTS and as such you canā€™t compare them.

Why are you replying about the same thing instead of replying to my arguments about your ridiciolous claim?
What does that have to do with anything?
I said itā€™s common to have them in classic RTS. And Iā€™ve said few times these tools are coming, later. Do you even read what I said?

They literally said they werenā€™t having these things at launch, they have been in every past AoE game. Yet it is priced the same or similar to every past AoE game, without the same amount of content.

So? Campaigns determine how much content a game has? One extra campaign, oh my, this game is sooo underpriced. :roll_eyes:

They are literally leaving out 3 features

Which is why people are unhappy about itā€¦ No mod support at launch either btw

Please point out where I said that before, Iā€™ll wait

Yet you made it a point that most strategy games did not have these.

They are not tools, they are critical parts of the game

Yes, I do but why should I if you donā€™t read what I say?

I asked you a question ā€˜How do you know how much content does it have?ā€™ and you wrote this thing again. Do you think Iā€™m blind, or stupid?
Iā€™ll repeat again - how do you know how much content will final release have? All you know that map these tools will be released after release. How does that determine amount of content people are getting for their money? Tools that are used, as Iā€™ve said few times, by small number of players.

Are you trolling? You have to be trolling. AoE III had one campaign, not three.
Yes campaigns determine that for the majority of people, people that do not buy these games for competitive multiplayer. Them, challenges and skirmish mode.
And certainly they are few levels above map editor.

They are coming later. And? Is somebody forcing you to buy game at release?

How any people are active modders? 0,07% of playerbase? Do you know what mod support did 2 and 3 had at release?

Dude you must be trolling. Iā€™m wasting my time.

Yes, and? I made many arguments and you donā€™t care to take them into consideration.

Map editor is critical part of a game?
A critical part?
Was there some community poll where people said that?
Do you know how unreal this claim sounds?

And I answered, they are missing this critical content, you just keep dismissing it

AoE 3 campaign was split up into 3 acts, one AoE3 campaign is much longer than any other AoE campaign. Is it longer than AoE4? Dunno, guess weā€™ll find out.

? You must be new to RTS games, campaign is not one of the biggest attractions

They play campaigns once, just like MP community. Then they play skirmish. Scenario editor has endless possibilities and is used much more than campaigns by the average user

So you would be completely fine with them launching with 2 civs because the rest were coming later?

Are you ignoring the point purposely or do you honestly not understand? The game is not releasing with the full content expected of an AoE game yet is priced as standard AAA

The originals had none because modding wasnā€™t as big back then. Now it is.

How many people use mods? Over 50% of the playerbase Iā€™d be willing to bet.

You have nothing, what I thoughtā€¦

You know only classic RTS games have these features yet you still said," Most strategy games donā€™t have these features" what is your point here?

Because I donā€™t agree with you as soon as you start arguing I donā€™t take your arguments into consideration? Lol

Go ahead and look at the steam workshop for HD and also modhub for AoE2 DE, see how many downloads, likes, ect they all have. People like the creativity of other players, it helps keep the game fresh other than new civs/maps which get stale kinda fast.

Yes, I probably used it like 30% of the time back on HD

Was there a community poll that said people think Campaigns are a critical part?

1 Like

I donā€™t know if Iā€™m buying this game. The only thing I donā€™t like about it so far is graphics. If the graphics and animations improve, I donā€™t mind if the price will go up twice as much, because I think it is worth paying money, considering the game can be played for decades.

3 Likes

well thankfully youā€™ll be able to see content from the 17th-20 beta.

1 Like

$59 is pretty steep - itā€™s got to be a pretty much perfect game at that price.

$49? Sure, Iā€™d pay that now.

Can you really play games for decadesā€¦? Does the wife agreeā€¦? :grin:

2 Likes

lol. whereā€™s the option: ā€œI will buy this game if itā€™s goodā€
jesus christ

Iā€™ve been playing AOE II for 2 decades haha

1 Like

So all AAA have to be perfect to be priced fairly? Good to knowā€¦