Do you like cosmetic DLC?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Have you bought the cosmetic DLC?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Did you buy it or would you buy it, even if you don’t like it or don’t care?

• Yes, because I know that’s how I support the game.
  • No, it’s not worth it.

0 voters

There is a free one for those who don’t know:

Playable content, but without civilizations.

I’ve always thought that the areas we need to cover in the game could be covered by DLC, even if it doesn’t come with new civilizations. That is, the areas that the game has already, but that feel incomplete, for example South America that could have many more natives and many more maps with new terrain styles and biomes.

Note: It is not that I am assuming that there will not be new civilizations for South America or elsewhere, it is just as an example. Personally, I think that the Mapuches could be in the future in the game as a playable civilization.

Would you buy a DLC with no new civilizations, but one that grants new maps, new natives, new treasures, new fauna, new flora, and new mercenary and outlaw units? (Assuming it’s cheaper than a DLC with civilizations)

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Would you buy DLC that brings campaigns?

• Yes
  • No
  • Depending on what the campaign is about, maybe yes or maybe no.

0 voters

Would you buy a DLC of historical battles?

• Yes
  • No
  • Depending on what the historical battles are about, maybe yes or maybe no.

0 voters

What other concepts could work as DLC, but without civilizations? comment…

5 Likes

DLC with shared units like mercenaries is a weird one. Natives could work because you can limit them to DLC maps. But what about mercenaries? You have a smaller pool if you don’t buy it? Do your opponents share the same pool?

Later Total War games have something like “unit packs” (or units unlocked by a bigger DLC) and that feels very odd: AI factions can train them. You only get access to those units when you confederate an AI, and still cannot train them.

1 Like

I guess it will be available if you enter a game where the other player has bought the hypothetical DLC or if you play competitive. It will not be available to you as such. I guess that’s how the current DLC works, right?

Yes but mercenaries are somewhat shared units. You share the same pool as other players.

So I’d rule out mercenaries from that list. DLC specific natives and outlaws could work because they are map-dependent.

2 Likes

I could definitely live with a Polynesia DLC that didn’t bring new civs, if the new biomes and overhauled naval combat compensated for it.

Didn’t even consider it, but yeah, South America is severely under-represented. Not so much in maps, but in content, almost none of the map natives actually fit the map they are on, the outlaws are very explicitly North America themed, even the animals kinda leave more to be desired, so we could definitely get a face lift for the region, dunno how it’d be justifiable as a DLC though since you’d need to renovate the old maps anyways.

I like cosmetic DLCs mostly because they provide more assets for modding, heh.

AI chatsets theorically could be an interesting idea, but they are a huge endeavour, so I fear they may not be worth the effort. Am not in charge of the game though, so guess that’s not my problem (?)

8 Likes

The new maps and natives etc were the best part of the last DLC imo. I’d get more DLC with more of that goodness for sure.

9 Likes

Maybe it could be limited to multiplayer, but not single player.

I just wish we can use these explorer skins to AI explorers

5 Likes

They could make it like a mod where you can turn on/off the new mercenary unit features. A bit like you you can turn on/off the day and night cycle. It would be very convoluted but it would not exclude players from play competitively, as everyone could just turn off the mod.

If at some point they stop adding new civilizations, I think that some suggestions made here could continue to give life to the game.

I would like a Napoleonic campaign, or campaigns about wars of independence in the future.

I revisit this because the discussions tend to focus a lot on civilizations, but the truth is that the background of the game always catches my attention more, such as the biomes.

2 Likes

Add this too:

“Would you buy a DLC with fantasy elements, like the norse from Age of Mythology?”

No, it’s really just awful.

I would like to have more play modes, such as an RPG mode, multiplayer modes, etc. That could be a cool addition as a DLC feature.

1 Like

No, I agree that it’s really just awful. BUT You’re not the first to suggest this. There is an alternative solution - to add mythical creatures only through cheat codes and release the DLC “Mythology Cheats”. Whoever wants it will buy it, but will not be able to play with someone who does not have this DLC, This will be closely related to the option to “enable cheat-codes”. Thanks for understanding!

1 Like

I would be more inclined to buy a cosmetic DLC for buildings rather then the explorer

1 Like

I mean, SC2 probably made some money in a similar way. They had different architectural styles that could be applied to various buildings. Only real risk is reduced readability, AOE3 has a lot more civs and it could turn into a mess fast.

Campaign is good but needs play to level up and weaker than pvp isn’t good.(If stronger than pvp,play to level up is not bad)

The image I had on my mind was something small, like giving the portuguese church azulejos