POLL: Should (Regular/Non-Polish/Non-Lithuanian/Non-Magyar) Hussars have "wings"?

Yeah the only name in the list voting for removing that would have told me something 4 moths ago would have been mahazona.
At some time this forum somehow got flooded by wings.

No offense, but these names doesn’t tell me anything actually.

So… their opinion is less valid because they are new to the forum? correct me if I misinterpreted what you are saying

My grain of salt:

Also in sight on future cosmetic DLCs or whatever: make an option to choose between “classic” and new skins for units (also adding the automatic option of SP ON/MP OFF). This could include regional units (different skins for champions for example), wingless non-winged hussars (only wings for the lithuanians/poles ones), the old african/asian monks, jannisaries with hats, paladins using the frankish paladin skin, and many ones involving heroes.
There are a lot of beautiful skins only being used on heroes that it is a waste that we could not see them on normal matches. And if someone only wants the “classic” skin they could set the option off.

2 Likes

Is it so? I played AOC since 2010 and dont notice any changes apart from the cost changes everywhere. No big changes in terms of visuals (and I think making hussar wingless is a big change)

Consider that - if we make the knight to carry a lance instead of sword, or make the skirms to carry heavy armor instead of a shield, it will also cause confusion.

1 Like

Well unit skins did change from HD to DE.Magyar hussar got wings normal hussar changed helmets.
Heck even William Wallace from the learning campaign got a new look.

3 Likes

Those changes arent changing the units visual identity entirely and in the case of Wallace he got a unique visual identity. THey mostly just added flavour to these units (except for Magyar Huszars who was a really boring change)

In fact indian imperial camel got visual change too. But -

1. They are not common units
  2. The change is pretty subtle imo

(for example I have no idea how William looked before already…)

2 Likes

He had the generic champion skin.

And thats adding to the unit, unlike this who is just taking away from the unit

1 Like

Yeah I see it is easy for some of the people on this thread to get confused.

I wait for the time when every civ has their own units, African soldiers, ME soldiers, Asian soldiers, every civ sporting historical and uniqe skins . I have already made my own mod doing just this. But since every update cuses me to reallocate every single unit, I beseech the devs to add an official reskin mod to the game , providing all the unit alterations .

I played this game when the first demo was released , then Age of kings when there was nought but a hand ful of civs with abouth 35% of the games current content, the amouth this game had added and been altered from then till now is vast. But let me stop there, something tells me a bit to much reading might cause a debilitating case of immense confusion for you.

Nah, adding content is different from changing content. If I add units to civ, it will cause fewer confusion than for example removing paladin from frank.

1 Like

If it is not clear,

Statement: to change hussar model to non winged version for official game

My stance: against it

My reason:

• All changes obviously involve learning cost
  • Benefit: Historically more accurate, makes winged hussar more iconic
  • Drawback: Needs to relearn that non winged “Light cav” is hussar, cause confusion from returning players

E.g. when people view old games they will think “why Khmer got winged hussar before?”.

I am not really buying the argument of making things more appealing at the cost of learning. It is ultimately not fun for me, as a competitive player. i.e. I can learn the models of new hussars, but it gains nothing in strategic view. Heck, I can even change hussars to cubes if it brings strategic values.

1 Like

Players are not idiots they can read the name.HD magyar hussars had no wings but DE has did anyone get confused?also original hussar looked lot different than the DE hussars.

3 Likes

But here’s the thing. That affects only one civ. And it made the unit more visual appealing and easier to notice.

What you guys are asking for is changing a lot of civs, and makes the unit not as easy to see

2 Likes

Why would it be hard to see there is a noticeable difference between the normal hussar with or without wings and other cavalry.

2 Likes

From light cav to normal hussar without wings? Not really. Just some armor if you’re zoomed in enough to see it.

Point again tho. The Magyar hussar chsnge affected one civ and made rhe unit more distinct. Not less.

1 Like

Aoe has the same unit sprite for many upgraded units did it confuse players?
Vanilla game and DE looks and feels a lot different so why do we need to keep everything looking classic for the sake of it?

2 Likes

No but the only units that kept the same sprites were unique units and you don’t really see those until imperial age

Why keep things classic for classic sake

Because it’s age of Empires 2. Shouldn’t age of Empires 2 be age of Empires 2? It’s age 2. Not age 3. You want a game that caters hard to every civ that exists

1 Like

Hussar is imperial so is it that different? also things like indian camel uu is a bit different as someone pointed out and its also a imperial unit.

2 Likes

Hussar has wings to make it distinct. So yes. It is different. Yeah Indian camel is different. It’s MORE DISTINCTIVE. NOT LESS. YOURE ASKING TO MAKE HUSSARS LESS DISTINCTIVE.

Tell you what. I’ll agree with you guys under one condition.
You want normal jussars to have no wings.

The old hussar sprite becomes the new winged hussar for Poles and lithuanians.
The new winged hussar sprite gets its wings removed and becomes the new hussar for other civs.

You guys get wingless hussars for non Poles and Liths.

We get distinct models for non Poles and liths.

1 Like