POLL: Should (Regular/Non-Polish/Non-Lithuanian/Non-Magyar) Hussars have "wings"?

I disagree with that. The wings are the distinct thing how you recognize hussars in the game right now.

But hte same is true for the models of cavalier and paladin, they are both inspired by frankish models.

These kind of cultural representation is just a part of the game. All units just need to be inspired by any cultural model, so the wings on hussar aren’t any exception to that rule, they are just one of many representation in the game inspired by certain models.
It’s just the common concept how the representation of units works in the game. They chose a model which they think would be the best representative and make it the representation for all civs.

Do we now need a reskin of cavalier and paladin for all civs but franks?

Do we even have to rename them cause also their names refer to franks?

Reference is and always was an important aspect of unit representation in AOE2. And breaking with this just because Poles are now in the game would destroy the integrity of the game.

3 Likes

This model looks too much 16th century so would it fit the standard hussar?
Overall its a horrible idea to have units that looks outside of medieval times.

1 Like

does it matter? the point is distinctiveness and readability. it gives both.

and yet i don’t see you asking to rework the current sprite that poles and liths enjoy despite your complaint do I? so why bring it up now?

2 Likes

Ture but what do we know right pop culture rules.
It was a bad idea to replace a current unit with a civi specific unit rather than giving it an update like the Indians.

1 Like

Just want to add that it is not always possible to check names - in particular i am thinking about old replays in youtube.

1 Like

Exactly and like for example in the Magyar Huszar’s case, this meant a complete overhaul of its design identity. People still were able to recognize the unit equally well, before and after.

Except difference is, all those changes listed made the units more distinct and stand out more. Can you say rge same for taking the wings off the hussar? No you can’t, doing so makes it less distinct.

So the argument you are agreeing with actually encourages leaving the Hussars the way they are

2 Likes

In reality it’s the opposite. It increased the chance of mixing up the regular winged Hussars with Magyar Hussars, since then both had wings.
It made their Hussar design stand out less and nobody confused them with Light Cavalry before which was always easily distinguishable from them.

Hah. I can easily tell the difference between all 3.

Know what I can’t easily tell the difference between? Light cav and hussar without wings. The difference is very minimal.

Again. The point though was. That the change to Magyar huszar made it MORE DISTINCT RHEN BEFORE.

It was a VISUAL IMPROVEMENT.

WHEREAS TAKING THE WINGS OFF THE HUSSAR IS NOT A VISUAL IMPROVEMENT TO THE HUSSAR

2 Likes

Tbh the Magyar Huszar change was kind of bad.

I prefered when they didnt have the wings.

Good for you. For me it’s the opposite.

True, I loved their old design. I think many Hungarian players weren’t content with this change at all, making “their” Hussars appear as Polish ones.

It’s almost like Magyar hussars carried around big frigging lances and had distinct shields. And very different wings.

According to your logic we should ask how people tell the difference between Magyar hussars and leitis. Since you know both have shields and lances. Smh

3 Likes

Yeah the thing is the whole discussion about the wings is completely unlogical.
They make fake reasonings and if you then apply them to other units and civs like franks cavaliers and paladin they try to rationalize against their own initial reasoning.
This alone should actually tell everybody open minded that it’s just a fake, a rationalization of their pure will to make polish the only with wings. It’s just bigoted.

Why poles need to be so special??? There are 39 other civs in the game and about none of them has been made so much ado then about just the wings of the polish hussar. I mean just… WTF?

Please leave the legacy of the game as it is. You already got the most beautiful and recognizable wings for your special hussars. Just be happy with it.
I also don’t want my TK on horses, cause it makes no sense to have a “Ritter” on foot.
I mean I could demand it, it would make much more sense than the wing nonsense. But I just accept that’s a part of the game. And a funny part.

If we began with that nonsense we would never come to an end.

2 Likes

Here you go:

The Leitis and Magyar Huszar’s horse, helmet and shield are that clearly different in colors and design that with wings or without them a distinction is without difficulty.

You keep trying to disprove this suggestion’s rationale but so far I haven’t heard one reasonable argument against a change.

So how is having a shield or lance special for medieval horsemen compared to Cavalry with wings which only the Commonwealth had?

I’m sure there will be a “Dawn of the Dukes” event, they could make wingless Hussars/Huszars as a reward instead of these gimmicky banana projectile graphic mods no one ever uses.

2 Likes

except you’ve been shown examples of non commonwealth cavalry with wings already. so why keep claiming otherwise?

2 Likes

Why not reply there then? Trying to hide my reply about those fanarts and concept drawings that aren’t backed up by any confirmed historical sources?

2 Likes

Obviously one will find wings on all kinds of fanart nowadays. However only confirmed, historical sources are what should be taken into consideration.

Just type “Winged Cavalry” into google and all your results will be about Polish Hussaria.

wikipedia:

“Hussars of the Polish Commonwealth were also famous for the huge wings worn on their backs or attached to the saddles of their horses. Several theories attempt to explain the meaning of the wings. According to some, they were designed to foil attacks by Tatar Lasso; another theory maintains that the sound of vibrating feathers attached to the wings made a strange sound that frightened enemy horses during the charge. However, recent experiments performed by Polish historians in 2001 did not support any of these theories and the phenomenon remains unexplained. They might have simply intended as a dinctive feature. The wings were probably worn only during parades and not during combat, but this explanation is also disputed. Because Poland has a large population of devout Catholics, it seems possible the wings and uniforms were meant to resemble St. Michael the Archangel.”

Your claim that only poles would have had wings is just defied. Therefore the whole poll is senseless. It would only make sense if your claim would be true. But it is false. There is historical evidence against that claim.

And btw if you claim that YOU would be in the one to proof it is correct. But you didn’t. You even let us proof the opposite. That’s actually not correct. And after we proofed that your claim was wrong you even tryed to draw our proof into disguise. That’s absolutely toxic in my eyes.

Please accept that your claim is provenly wrong.

1 Like