PWAO Korean Civilization Mod

I present my mod/design/pitch of the Korean Civilization, which is currently in beta.
For now, many Korean units are tokens that represents historical units of the Joseon Army. For example, I use the Yumi and Yabusame to depict the Korean foot and cavalry archers, the same applies to the Atakabune and Tekkousen, who are similar to the Korean Geobukseon (Turtle Ship) and Panokseon. I still keep many original unit names for the better understanding of new players, but I intend to change this in the future.

KOREANS
-Civilization bonus: Irregulars and Sentries can be trained from villages and slowly regenerate hit points, starting from the Commerce age. Can’t train cavalry until Fortress Age, but can train Rattan Shields (Fast Infantry) at the Monastery in the Commerce Age. Can get the aid of Chinese allies through cards and the Summer Palace.

-Korean units: Yumi Archer, Qiang Pikemen, Changdao Swordsmen, Arquebusier, Iron Flail, Yabusame, Flaming Arrow, Hand Mortar, Hwacha (Organ Gun), Flying Crow, Shaolin Master, Disciple, War Junk, Atakabune, Tekkousen. Woldo Riders (Naginata Rider) and Meteor Hammers can only be obtained from the homecity, but they upgrade automatically each age.

-Korean buildings: Village, Rice Paddy, Monastery, Castle, Consulate, War Academy, Stable.
-Wonders: Confucian Academy, Porcelain Tower, Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven and White Pagoda. (Same as the Chinese)
-Consulate Allies: British, Russian, French and German. (Same as the Chinese)
NOTE: The reason why I use the same Wonders and consulate allies as the Chinese is because these mechanics are something difficult to modify.

-Historical Context: The Korean Kingdom of Joseon managed to survive and retain its autonomy despite the ambitions of several external powers for over 500 years.

UNIQUE CARDS:
-Hwarang Cavalry Volunteers (II): You receive a free Woldo Rider with all future shipments, starting with this one.
-Righteous Army (II): Ships 10 Irregulars. Ships 1 aditional Irregular for every Villager you have lost (up to a maximum of 20).
-Early Flaming Arrows (II): Ships a Flaming Arrow. Allows Flaming Arrows in Commerce Age.
-Korean Village Defenses (II): Villages shoot when garrisoned. Town Center attack increased.
-3 Hwacha (III, 200c): Ships 3 Hwacha.
-Gabsa Army (IV): Ships 3 Woldo Riders, 3 Meteor Hammers and 3 Iron Flails.
-Fire Dragon Pyrotechnics (IV): Ships a Flying Crow, a Flaming Arrow and a Hwacha. Slightly improves their rate of fire.
-Turtle Hulls (III): Increases the hitpoints of Atakabunes and Tekkousens.
-Ming Allied Army (III, 1000c): Ships 15 Qiang Pikemen, 11 Keshiks, and upgrades them to Disciplined status.
-Qing Allied Army (III, 1000c): Ships 15 Chu Ko Nus, 11 Steppe Riders, and upgrades them to Disciplined status.
-Chinese Allied Army (IV, 2000c): Ships 12 Qiang Pikemen, 12 Chu Ko Nus, 8 Steppe Riders, 8 Keshiks, and upgrades all of them to Honored status.

Feel free to post suggestions, ideas, or critiques in the comments below (please, I need them). Also, my English is not great, so any corrections are welcome. This mod should work in any language, but with texts only in English. I also intend to add Spanish and maybe some others languages in the future.

Link to the mods page PWAO Korean Civilization - Mods - Age of Empires

7 Likes

Nice mod. Keep trying.

I only hope the mod creator could remake style of Korean military units based on historical uniforms in future.

2 Likes

Good work ! I like it !

Some proposals and feedback:
-When we upgrade the hwacha, the name return to Rabauld (you can rename it “heavy hwacha” instead).
-it will be necessary to make a reskin of hwacha one day :smile:

-You can rename “Atakabune” to “Geobukseon” (“Turtle Ship” in korean).
-I think the Tekkousen looks too Japanese. For me, I will remove this unit but give bigger bonuses to the Atakabune/Geobukseon. Or else replace Tekkousen with Fuchuan (even if Fuchuan has characteristics close to Atakabune).

-Technical question: Is it possible to rename Wonders and change their powers only for koreans ?

Hi guys, I’m working on improvements for the mod. Some people are asking for a nerf, so I’d like to know: What units or mechanics etc. should they be nerfed? I am thinking of raising the cost of irregulars, for example, but I am very interested in knowing your opinion. Do we need any other buffs? Would you like to see any other new units or mechanics? You can make all the suggestions you want.

If you don’t have concrete suggestions, you could at least tell me which units you think could be modified.

I’m currently working on several name changes, to make them more “Korean”, but I have some problems with certain units, for example I still don’t know what Korean archer and horse archer units should be named (In another post someone suggested that the Korean horse archer could be named “Beolmusa” but I’m not sure yet…). The Japanese Tekkousen looks a bit like Korean Panokseon, that’s why I’m including them. (Just google “Panokseon” and you can see…)

I think I can change the names and powers of Chinese wonders, to make them more Korean, at least to some extent. Some wonder stuff is hardcoded so it’s hard to change, but I think I could make some changes. If anyone has any suggestions on this, please write it down.

I might do these kinds of changes in the future, but it would take time because I’m not a 3D modeler.

2 Likes

Who is the personality of this civ?

My korean civilization doesn’t have AI personality at the moment, I don’t really know much about it so I don’t have any plans to implement an AI personality right now, but maybe in the future… I’m also not sure which historical figure to choose as a Leader…
I take this opportunity to announce that I am working on some changes/improvements for this civ that I plan to implement this month, but as always I have the problem of receiving very little feedback/criticism/ideas, which has me wondering what I should buff/nerf/change, etc.

1 Like

In history, the Kingdom of Korea lacked national and regional influence and communication with western civilization. Its famous war was also participated as an auxiliary force of other powerful countries. And it is too uninteresting to fully use the combination of Chinese and Japanese characteristics. Rather than being a major country, it is better to serve as a secondary civilization in Northeast Asia and provide troops and technology to other countries

1 Like

Nah, there’s enough material to make a really good, compelling Korea civ in AoE3.
It’s just that this mod is pretty much just recycled features from China and Japan, so there’s nothing much to talk about it. It has no identity.

Korea in AOE3 for the win!

Would like to see Seonbis (Korean scholars)
the Joseon dynasty, Korean Confucianism, and more!

1 Like

Do you want to guide ? Historically, Korea lost to the Later Jin regime less than a month after losing the assistance of the Ming Dynasty. In the history of Northeast Asia during this period, the South Korean army has almost always been the support force of China and Japan. It is more like the localization of the map aborigines. Don’t exaggerate its strength because of some false propaganda. Even the Imjin War boasted by Korea is also the army of the Ming Dynasty as the absolute main force. Only General Lee Sunshin deserves praise

Guide?
Sure, I have made not one but two Korea civ designs for Age of Empires 3.
Neither is perfect, sure. But saying Joseon Korea was completely powerless and uncapable of engaging on military conflicts out of its own power is wildly inaccurate and highly slanderous towards this nation.
Why are you even talking about “South” Korea to begin with, the country was never split during this period, is this some weird nationalist thing?

无论是发帖还是看帖,都不建议依赖机翻,好好自己敲英文,中学英文在这里是够用的。

Joseon Dynasty may be not completely powerless, but close.

Japanese army spent only 2 months and captured most of the Korea in 1592. Although Japanese was lost at last, it was not Joseon negotiate with Japan after Japanese retreat, it was Ming Dynasty. I really wonder if Joseon army could recover their land without Ming Dynasty.
Then in 1627, Jurchen invaded Korea. In 3 months, Pyongyang fell again, Joseon had to make agreement with Jurchen.
1636, Jurchen invaded Korea again. Jurchen reached the capital of Joseon in 12 days, then Joseon surrendered.

Yes, Joseon sent archers and musketeers to help Ming and Qing armies and proved to be good in battle. However, they hardly repelled enemies invaded their land by themselves. So I think it is hard to say Joseon Dynasty is a good choice in a military-focus game as a playable faction.

BTW, WoL choose to present a 19th century Korea which is really nice, as they got modernized and built reformed army by that time.

3 Likes

抱歉啊,我中学英文水平都没,看得懂就是不会英文造句,只能机翻了(摆手)
The situation in Korea is very similar to the various indigenous forces on the African map. Most of the time, it is affiliated with other forces. In fact, it is very suitable to fill the gap of Asian indigenous forces.