Random civ not working as advertised

Game Version:

• Build: 36906
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Gamertag:

Issue:

In team games, the option ‘Random’ for civilization pick does not work exactly as advertised. Recently I noticed that after picking random civ, I got the same civilization as one of my allies. I don’t remember whether that ally had that civ picked or whether he was also random, at least we didn’t both pick the same civ. The hover text states that you will receive a civ that has not been picked yet. (We already have the option ‘Full Random’ for picking from all the civs without restrictions.)

Reproduction Steps:

Here’s how to reproduce the problem.

[0. Developers: reduce civ pool to a few civs to increase the chance it occurs]

1. Join the queue for a ranked team game, the more players the higher the odds of it occurring.
  2. Choose ‘Random’ for civilization pick.
  3. Wait till the match starts.
  4. With a small chance you could get the same civilization as an ally.

ATTACHMENTS:

1 Like

Is it possible the old bug still exists where the descriptions of random and Full Random are switched around, doing opposite things?

Most likely your ally picked a civ. “Random” will not take into account picked civs, it will only not duplicate civs across the players who went random. That’s how it has worked since the release of the original game.

2 Likes

Most likely your ally picked a civ. “Random” will not take into account picked civs, it will only not duplicate civs across the players who went random. That’s how it has worked since the release of the original game.

If that is how it is supposed to work then it’s technically not a bug. But the way the hover text states it now, it is definitely a bug since in this case I got a civ that had already been picked.

It doesn’t really make sense to me to give random pickers different civs but still the same civs as non-random pickers. The usefulness of picking ‘Random’ instead of ‘Full Random’ lies in the fact that you want a team without duplicate civs since that helps with regard to creating mixed army compositions and having more team bonuses. And it shouldn’t be too hard to implement.

3 Likes

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• Build: August 25th (and earlier)
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Gamertag: mratin

:arrow_forward: ISSUE

:question: Describe the problem in detail (below). Please limit to one issue per thread.

Selecting “Random” civilization in team games can generate the same civilization as other players in the game even when they have not selected full random. Seems to happen more often when someone in the team has selected a civ, not sure if it can happen if all goes random.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:question: List the steps to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s how to reproduce the issue:

1. Have teammate pick a civilization
  2. Go random

Do this enough times and there is a small chance the same civilization will be generated for two players.

4 Likes

I think this is how the random civ option was designed, so it is on purpose.

Players who pick a civ are not taken into consideration when assigning a civ to the random player. Two players who both go random will not get the same civ (unless they select Full random), but if one player chooses a civ, that civ is not excluded for the player going random. I agree that it should be changed, so that the distinction between Random and Full Random becomes clearer.

If 4 players go random and 4 players pick a civ, the random players should not get any of the civs picked by the other players (again unless they choose Full random).

I’ve seen other bug reports that the random option in rated games sometimes assigns the same civ to both players (so it becomes a mirror match), but that is a different issue.

• BUILD #: does not matter, eversince DE was released. reported multiple times on multiple places.
  • PLATFORM: Steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:question: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). Limit to ONE issue per thread.

Random Civ option does not work in matchmaking.

Random civ is supposed to mean, that you dont mirror your teammates or opponent civ. if you go full random that is an option, but just random should give me a civ that noone else in the game has.

This was reported mutiple times already, there is already a year done by since DE 2 was released. How is this still not fixed? should be a rather easy coding issue that should be able to fix fast.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:question: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST.

• 50% of the time / matches I play (FREQUENTLY)

at least 50%!!!

:question: List the DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. play matchmaking TG
  2. go random civ
  3. as soon as one of your teammates picks civ, and random civ option is not enabled by all players in the game there is a stupidly high chance to mirror your teammates civ.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

:question: Include a OneDrive or Google Drive link to a SAVE GAME or REPLAY FILE (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

:question: Attach a relevant PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif), VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube), DXDIAG FILE (.txt), or CRASH/GAME LOGS (.aoe2record, .txt) below.

4 Likes

• BUILD #: 101.101.41855.0
  • PLATFORM: Steam /

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:question: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). Limit to ONE issue per thread.

On occasion when i select a random civ i get a same civ that someone else picked… just now i went random and my allie had hand picked Byz. i got trough random civ Byz as well… i believe this shouldnt be possible ?
Random civ: get a civ that has not yet been picked
Full random: any civ even if already picked

Correct?

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:question: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST.

• 25% of the time / matches I play (SOMETIMES)

:question: List the DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

get a team where some pick civ and some go random. play couple of games to encouter te problem

I ve had this several times now, I pick random and my mates choose their civs and we get the same civ twice in the team.

The intention of the difference between “Random” and “Full Random” should be that “Random” excludes any civs that were picked while “Full Random” doesnt, which is not the case.

So, “Random Civ” doest care at all what your mates picked and its super annoying to have a civ twice in the team.

This should be fixed so you cant get the civs from your mates picks.

This has been reported so often already
here
here
here
here
here

and even in a “current unfixed bugs” Buglist
here

At this point you can fairly assume that the devs just dont give a single damn about the game and just let the game rot

Something that’s fixed in less than one hour has been surging for how long? First reported on May? So about 6 months now…
Should give you a decent opinion on how much they care about the game
@GMEvangelos

1 Like

Being unfriendly doesnt improve anything.

1 Like

Can anyone confirm if this is still occuring?

How, multiplayer is unplayable :smiley:

“Being unfriendly doesnt improve anything.”

I can confirm. Had it in a few games I’ve played.

2 Likes

Random civ still giving duplicate civs in ranked

Today one of our teammates picked Byzantines, the other one selected Random civ

we ended up with 2 byzantines in our team

edit: again 2x mayans in a game, why is Random option not working???

1 Like

Same, its still not working.

2 Likes

Yesterday we had a game where all had random and we got the same civ twice in our team.

Honestly, its getting annoying. We are reporting this bug since a year what is so tricky to fix it?
Its constantly failing and ruining the random civ option.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for reporting this bug, we will look into it again :wink:

Good to see this fixed in the changelist of the latest patch!