Rework thoese mangonels or delete them!

The game is at a state where you can make 40 mangonels, because they cost nothing in late game and only count for a few units, the game has more siege than ww2 and ww1 compared, its a medival game got damn it

7 Likes

You can spam 100 horsemen with a fraction of mangonels cost and burn them all down. GG

3 Likes

100 horses melt against half the mangonels the OP said.

Each update made the game gets incredibly better and increases my spirits, but in relation to mangonels it is still very insufficient. The next update they nerfed the Siege made on the battlefield, but it still remains a huge problem in the game as a whole if the enemy gets a few mangonels in the late game of Age III, it doesn’t have to be 40, 5 already melts your army, so So there is no decision to be made, horses do not destroy siege at this point, you have to siege x siege, micr your springalds (or other siege), and whoever wins this fight, wins the game. I particularly liked the trebuchets’ new position, and haven’t given much thought to the other siege units, but the mangonels specifically make games frustrating for me, and there are times when I win doing them that I don’t enjoy winning. Fighting with these mangonels is very boring (and ugly, have you guys seen the weird trajectory that the mangonels stones do?) and every day I face them, the frustration is so great that it diminishes my desire to continue in the game.

2 Likes

Mangonels are probably the #1 unit I’d like to see nerfed. Obviously people are going to respond to you and explain that you can beat a mass of mangonels with X or Y, and obviously that’s true. They’re not unstoppable, though I think people would be surprised at just how poorly massed horsemen fair against large groups of mangonel. What mangonels are is oppressive because they are so strong against such a wide range of units. They are devastating against all foot units. That’s a huge, huge proportion of the units in the game: the spearman, man-at-arms, archer, crossbowman, handcannoneer, longbowman, streltsy, zhuge nu, grenadier, arbalatrier, landschnekt and palace guard. All of them die so quickly to mangonels and obviously the ranged units are also essentially incapable of destroying the mangonels.

No other unit in the game (apart from the mangonel equivalent Nest-of-Bees) feels like this. No other unit is this dangerous to so many others. No other unit gets to be this hard of a counter against so many others. No other unit can do this much damage this fast.

Personally I feel very strongly that the strength of the mangonel is the core factor in the stale late game (particularly team game) meta. It’s the #1 reason that people tend towards building monotonous armies full of knights. It’s the #1 reason that it’s so risky to build many of the units I’ve listed above once the game goes into Imperial Age. It’s the #1 thing that you fear seeing as you peel back the fog of war and see your enemies army – because it’s the one thing that can end the battle in moments as an almost total loss.

For those defending the status quo… could any of you explain to me what part of the game would suffer if mangonels were nerfed? Because from where I’m standing mangonels would still be a useful unit if their DPS was reigned in significantly.

6 Likes

Sadly the forum is full of people who lie (Liar Trolls)

I have experienced the same in BF2042 and Ghost Recon Breakpoint forum before their releases. They would praise and lie, which delivers a wrong message to game developers etc. And these games failed real hard as they received lots of praises from trolls,

And I do agree that AOE4 sieges are just horrible.

2 Likes

Well, against 30 mangonels you can just create 15 springalds or 7 cannons, i think you need to understand that mangonel is very slow, cost 600 resources, and could be destroyed by few upgraded keeps. That is strategy, stop building 100 horses or smth like this, or just make a counter army, what is the issue. Make one cannon and run with 100 horses to enemy base, come from 4 directions to mangonels, stretch your army. Stop writing messages that confuses both players and developers

1 Like

Yea, Siege vs Siege.
Amazing!

Age of Sieges IV - a game where sieges shine!

3 Likes

Yes you won’t be able to just rely on just infantry to win. I think the main issue is blocking right now. Horsemen or knights are supposed to be good raiding unit but their pathing is so terrible when they face units. They would get stuck so bad. They are riding a horse lol. This prevents them from taking down siege. I think cav should be able to trample infantry and pass through crowd useless being impaled with spear (failed charge).

2 Likes

Try to push on 8 minutes, this is also a straregy dude , or do not play sim city for 30 minutes to allow your enemy to build whatever army he wants

But that’s exactly the problem, at a certain point in the game, just siege destroys siege, that’s the opposite of strategic, it’s one-dimensional, there’s no decision. Against Horses, Archers, Man-at-arms there is a complex set of compositions we can try, against siege no, the only option is “build siege or die”.

6 Likes

But the game should’nt be like that

2 Likes

like i said more siege than the world wars, what dont you understand?

1 Like

Did you watch N4C?
Beastyqt etc where just massing sieges and some chokepoint maps do lead to longer games. LOL
You really need to understand the gameplay issue.

There are no dynamics as soon as sieges are introduced onto the battlefield. It turns into a siege fest where only sieges vs sieges.

Funny how you defend your position. Pros are struggling and here you are saying don’t allow your enemy to build whatever they want…

LOOOOOOL

6 Likes

It’s not that simple, 8 minute push depends on civilization, map, and many factors. The issue is that for many players (like me), when the game is advanced, siege vs siege is just plain boring (or frustrating), one-dimensional, sometimes I’m the one who does the siege and I win because I play to win, but this win It doesn’t bring any pleasure because it gives me the feeling that I didn’t do anything smart, I did siege, which is mandatory in ALL matches.

If you’re happy with that state, that’s fine, but no, the answer to this problem isn’t to simply attack early (and I really like rushing, but it’s not always the best option).

1 Like

Yeah agree, it’s dumb mass mangonels… And it is dumb spam horsemen to destroy them. I think if the cost of mangonels are double than now, we will see less of them in battlefield, and are more rewarding/risk opportunities

1 Like

Fr siege kinda won him the tournament ngl

25 Mangonels vs 75 Horsemen Test - #3 by Adribird90 Regards.

1 Like

Great argument. I would also like to see the mangonels nerfed, the game shouldn’t play like that. Maybe like 25% team damage as well, or maybe they could take up more house space…

1 Like

This is untrue, you just like disagreeing with people online