ROMAE AD BELLUM - (RAW:E) Rome at War Expansion Concept

just data modding, its switch task same as villager. one unit using ballista, the 2nd unit using cannon and they have different attack target task, siege and non-siege.

2 Likes

@TheConqueror753 I like the techs and the spirit of both.

Pax Romana should have some sort of economic or maybe cultural/tech boom. Not sure what that looks like… cheaper villagers sound good in early game. I originally had it to enable Wonders in Castle Age aka Middle Antiquity in Mod.

Greeks should probably have some sort of Naval or Spearman advantage to fit with Culture I think… so not sure. Will have to think more on that.

I’ve suggested the Macedonian Phalanx and all the civ bonuses for the spears, I can get a new UT if you want something navy based, but I kind of wanted that to let them play more viable archers instead of just infantry. With Pax Romana, we could try my current suggestion, see what that is like, and change it if needed.

1 Like

Work in progress of Colonnade destruction, very rough draft. There is wiggle in certain columns, shadows underneath are not final and need to add back in vegetation etc. Like the center, will add in some final/slower animations to finish it off and give it a natural resting spot.

Colonnade Animation Test

Can’t wait to put it all together and show the final animation.

4 Likes

I love your work on this mod, but I really don’t think collapsing buildings should fall vertically.

1 Like

Great and super work as always! Testing this in my game too. By the way, did you manage to convert the graphics of the Asian building set from AOE1DE to this game? I saw the Roman/Greek/Egyptian/Persian building sets were transported over. How did you do that process?

1 Like

@rjgt3838 question - I saw this dog unit you added in the game files. What civilisation gets this dog unit and what does it replace in the game?

1 Like

@PeakHornet46539 Thanks! I have not touched the Asian AOE set as it hasn’t been a focus of the mod.

I ported over the other AOE graphics using SLX studio by importing the SLPs (compatible compression format prior to update) and then resizing to fit AOE 2 building tiles, duplicating end frame to be compatible with replaced SMX graphics frame count for destruction graphic and using last frame from destruction for rubble graphic. Final step is generating new compressed data graphic in SMX format and renaming to SMX file it replaces.

To get size right I typically pull up graphic I am replacing in SLX finding the right selection box size and resizing new graphic to match size of slection box fit to original.There are a couple buildings that didn’t look right resized and so in those instances I increased footprint in DAT file. This was done very sparingly for Castle for Parthians I think and Univieristy for Romans.

I have not added this to any civ just yet. Need to adjust the Data Graphic as it did not translate well into game. It was originally intended to be for Romans or maybe a scenario only unit.

The rottweiler is very cute! May I suggest it replace the hunting wolf hero unit in the editor?
It would be great if you could add another type of dog to the game if you have the graphics for them like a hound…

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and completements @RatcicleFan. The Destruction Animations are copy and paste of AOE and AOE 2 Destruction graphics. Buildings in both series have a “vertical” collapse sequence and that is what I am attempting to replicate in game as best I can. If you are referring to overall fluidity/and dynamic of the collapse with parts of the buildings collapsing inward, or spiraling down, some of those more complicated animations are simply too difficult for me replicate without a procedurally generated destruction using 3D Models as the developers did. However, I am exploring this method with the help of others.

What happened to the SLX Studio?? I can’t convert SLP files to SLX files all of a sudden?!

It’s because the format changed so you need a copy of the old SLP files. I have them for Egyptian, Greek, Roman, and Babylonian only.

You could ask on Discord if anyone has a copy of the old SLP for Asian set.

Concerning your suggested civs, due to the way nation-states worked at the time, I have some suggestions for the civs. Make a civ-umbrella with multiple civs in it. Each civ-umbrella has something in common, and each civ has something different.

For example: Umbrella civ/culture and then your civ (faction) to pick from:

1. Italian (today’s Italy)
  • Romans
  • Etruscans
  • Samnites
  1. Gaul (today’s France)
  • Boii
  • Galatii
  • Nervii (Belgium)
  1. German (today’s Germany)
  • Macromanii
  • Frisii (Netherlands)
  • Cimbrii (Denmark)
  1. Illirian (today’s ex-Yugoslavia)
  • Scordiscii
  • Norii
  • Dalmatae
  1. Dacian (today’s Romania)
  • Apulii (Transylvania)
  • Carpii (Moldavia)
  • Costobocii (Wallachia)
  1. Thracian (today’s Bulgaria)
  • Odrysii
  • Besii
  • Moesii
  1. Greek (today’s Greece)
  • Athens
  • Sparta
  • Epirus
  1. Easterner (today’s Persia)
  • Parthia
  • Armenia
  • Persia (Parthians were not Persians)
  1. Britons (today’s United Kingdom)
  • Iceni (England)
  • Caledones (Scotland)
  • Ebdani (Ireland)
  1. Iberians (today’s Spain)
  • Cantabri
  • Averaci
  • Luisitani
  1. Phoenicians (today’s North-West Africa)
  • Carthage
  • Numidia
  • Libya
  1. Semites (today’s Egypt)
  • Egypt
  • Judea
  • Saba (Arabs)
  1. Nomads (today’s Ukraine & Russia)
  • Iazyges
  • Roxolani
  • Thyssagetae

With a total of 13 civ-umbrellas that lead to 39 civs. You can have as many factions as AoE 2 DE without DLCs.

2 Likes

@Player870583437 :smiley: I would love to be able to implement this, but I think I would need a much bigger team and budget.

In the meantime need to narrow the scope. Today I am affecting the Western & Eastern European, Medi, Middle Eastern, Asian, and Meso architecture styles … so possible to add some civs within those regions that would share most of the same buildings.

Any civs added need to standout, so need to add unique wonders and units for them to be unique and interesting Otherwise IMO they will seem hallow if just change name and tech tree.

I personally would like to do more with Barbarians and Parthians in terms of units and buildings graphics…

In that case you could go for something like the civ-umbrella only. Civs that will feel very different from one another:

• Romans
  • Gaulls
  • Germans
  • Illrians
  • Dacians
  • Thracians
  • Greeks
  • Persians
  • Britons
  • Iberians (alternatively: Luisitanians)
  • Carthagians (because nobody is going to know what Phoenicians are)
  • Egyptians
  • Roxolans

An underrated unique culture is the Dacians. Related to Thracians but not the same people (spoke different langauges, different gods, different system of government, etc)

Originally starting with 8 gods (similar to Thracians) by 100 BC they developed into a monotheistic religion (just like Christianity) and started to believe in immortality (just like Christianity). But they weren’t just like Christinaity, they were just like Christianity on steroids.

The Dacians had a faith in their god Zamolxis and belief in immorality on the border of fanaticism, and sometimes crossing the border.

Due to their religion, the priests of Dacia had an uncommon political influence, they were often able to make or break the authority of a ruler. In a way the Kingdom of Dacia was more of a theocracy than a kingdom.

They believed, according to Zamolxis’ teachings, that the soul is immortal and they cannot really die, when they are killed, the soul simply changes location. The people on the brink of death were said to be able to speak with Zamolxis directly.

Because of this, the Dacians were renowned in Greece for their fighting power, who believed that their god of war, Ares, was born in Dacia. The Dacians were ferocious opponents in death as they had no fear of death since they didn’t view it as the end of their existance but merely a step.

“The Dacians are the most law-abiding and the bravest of the Thracians. They believe they are immortal, forever living in the following sense: they think they do not die and that the one who dies joins Zalmoxis, a divine being” - Herodotus, about the Dacians.

We have conquered even these Dacians, the most warlike of all people that have ever existed, not only because of the strength in their bodies, but, also due to the teachings of Zamolxis who is among their most hailed. He has told them that in their hearts they do not die, but change their location, and, due to this, they go to their deaths happier than on any other journey." - The Emperor Trajan of the Roman Empire, who conquered Dacia in 106 AD.

“due to this, they go to their deaths happier than on any other journey.” - good luck fighting that one.

Oh yeah, and they were one of the few Barbarian nations capable of building siege engines.

As a unique unit, if we go for AoE2 style, I would say the Flaxman. Infantry unit using a Flax weeapon. Especially effective against armored units. Historically the Flax was so effective at piercing Roman helmets that Trajan ordered a new Roman helmet design just for this war.

Dacian Mythology:

• In their language, the “Dacian” called themselves “Daoi” meaning “Wolves” or “one with the wolves”, their clothes resembled that of the wolves and their culture and mythology revolved around the wolves. They believed that the wolves are good spirits that will protect them in time of war, and that they only attack evil and dishonorable men. One of Zamolxis’ generals was the Great White Wolf, a former man that became wolf and would call out all other wolves to unite when Dacia was under threat by a foreign invader.

• Dacians draw their name from a god or a legendary ancestor who appeared as a wolf.

• The name of their god, Zamolxis, comes from the dacian word for “earth” which is “zamol”.

• Dacian Priests: They are found under three names: kapnobatai, polistai and ktistai. The term kapnobatai means “those who walk through the clouds” . This name corresponds to the fact that these priests lived on the high peaks always covered by clouds and fog. Polistai translates as “founders of cities” which might mean that this priestly cast could be a teacher. Ktistaii, the “founders of the nation”, could be a priestess priest who practices medicine. It is also known the existence of a priestess caste which was preached with the small courage and actively participated in the battles, Vezina being a famous example of the priest present on the battlefield.
    (The Dacians had AoE2 monks before it was cool)

• Kogaionon, the Mythical Mountain: The mountain which was the seat of the Dacian high priest. Graved by the Greeks, the mountain was not identified. The assumptions have brought to light famous mountain peaks such as Gugu, Ceahlaul, Gradistii Hill, Man, each with pros and cons. Also the Sphinx in Bucegi seems to have a special significance.

• The Werewolf as a protector of the Dacians: The Legend of the Great White Wolf states that in lost times, a high priest of Zamolxis was roaming through Dacia’s forests in order to help the needy. Zalmoxis realizing the potential of his servant, called him into the mountains to be close to him. Far beyond human territory, the beasts of Dacia considered him their leader, wolves appreciating him the most. After some time Zalmoxis summoned him and asked him to serve in another way, and with his approval, the deity transformed him into a large and mighty White Wolf, the most respected and feared beast from all of Dacia. His purpose was to gather all the wolves from the forests and protect Dacia when needed. Whenever the Dacians were in danger, the wolves came to their aid when they heard the howl of the Great White Wolf.

• The international adaptation of the werewolf is of a negative character, because of its negative role in otehr cultures, although according to the Dacian mythology this creature has a divine role of man’s protector.

• The Dacians used to call themselves “daoi”, a word inherited from the ancient Phrygian language, daos, meaning wolf, as they had a strong connection to these animals. Their battle flag called Draco was formed out of a wolf’s head with its mouth wide open alongside the body of a dragon, symbolizing the spirit of this vivid animal guardian.

• Thus, the basic legend of the Great White Wolf has its origins in the Dacians’ respect for the wolf and from this picture the werewolf idea came to life. However, its purpose was a noble one, as the werewolf was protecting the Dacian people in times of war.

Dacians or Getae? Make your pick, both are good.

The Dacians are a split group of the Thracians, related but different, like Italy and France. The Dacians and the Getae however, had the same langauge, customs and same gods. For practical purposes culturally they were the same people. Historians debate whether there is a difference Dacian & Getae or these words were just used interchangeably. In the Ancient Greek writings they were known as Geta or plural Getae, while in the Roman doccuments they were known as Dacus or plural Daci but also Getae on sevaral occasions. Getae and Dacians were interchangeable terms, or used with some confusion by the Greeks. Latin poets often used the name Getae. Vergil called them Getae four times, and Daci once, Lucian Getae three times and Daci twice, Horace named them Getae twice and Daci five times, while Juvenal one time Getae and two times Daci.

There you can make an Rome at War faction and an Age of Mytholoy faction with that information.

2 Likes

This definitely sounds cool, I will explore adding them to mod and creating infantry with Flax Weapon. Thank you for the content!

I really want Carthage personally, for the Punic wars. Then, Persians could lose the War Elephant, have it replaced with an Immortal or a Savar, and Carthaginians get it as a unique unit. If you do end up adding a heap of new civs, I’m happy to do balance stuff for them, but it might take a while.

1 Like

Excited to show another update from Sapsan. He continues to work on textures to match new Roman houses to style of game. Can’t wait to see the final results! I know these are going to be great!

1 Like

I think we already know that if added, the Flax Weapon is going to be an armor piercing attack, like a Leitis. I would call them Dacians probably if they got added, it’s a bit more recognizable.

1 Like

This would not be that huge of an idea most of these guys can share uu’s and buildings. Eg. Briton Gaul Spain will all have the same uu like woad raider and barbarian spearman you made. Hard thing would be the balance so much civis.