ROMAE AD BELLUM - (RAW:E) Rome at War Expansion Concept

Eh, not that hard to balance I don’t think. Sure, it’ll take time, but I reckon I could do it in a few hours. Getting distinct UUs might be more of a problem. You don’t need unique architecture, but not all of the current UUs would be realistic for potential civs.

Not every civi needs a uu, we can go the chivalry mod method and give them shared uu’s multiple uu’s or no uu at all.

@ PeakHornet46539
If you want to open the AOE:DE SLP files now, you need an other program:

I exported the Asian building set with this tool, took about 15 minutes.
The textures take 1.1 GB, I uploaded them into my drive if you just want to download them.

5 Likes

I think probably start with adding civs one at a time, and see where that ends up for this mod, because it’s already pretty great. In terms of current UUs, the ones that could be repurposed, used, or already in use are:

• Cataphract: Could become a potential unit for a civ like Persians, if War Elephant got moved to Carthage.
  • Woad Raider: Already in use for Gauls/Celts, could be added to more like you say.
  • Throwing Axemen: Definitely a viable option for a barbarian civ.
  • Huskarl: Already in use for the Goths.
  • War Elephant: In use for Persians, and could be added to Carthage if they were added.
  • Berserk: Could easily be used for a Germanic or Norse civ.
  • Tarkan: In use for Huns, and could be used for other Barbarian civs.
  • Plumed Archer: Could maybe come over and be used for a civ.
  • Magyar Huszar: Looks like it could be a cav unit for a civ set later in the timeframe.
  • Boyar: Definitely looks like heavy Barbarian cav.
  • Camel Archer/Genitour: Could easily be used for a middle eastern/African civ, maybe even Berbers if they were added.
  • Konnik: Could easily work for Bulgarians, or another civ.
  • Kipchak: Definitely fits with a Barbarian cav archer civ.
  • Obuch: I think this can also fit with a civ.

We also don’t have to add civs if we can’t give a distinct UU, because it helps differentiate all the civs, and makes the mod more diverse and enjoyable to play.

2 Likes

Some of the scenario ingame units can also be used like the chariot’s and new elephant units from the indian expansion.

2 Likes

Good point. The most reasonable units from there might include:

• Eastern Swordsman: Good for a middle eastern civ, not sure what though.
  • Heavy Pikeman: Doesn’t totally look like it fits the time period, but it could be made to fit with a civ.
  • Iroquois Warrior: Definitely looks like it fits with a barbarian tribe.
  • Norse Warrior: Similar to the Iroquois Warrior.

And then there are the units from the new DLCs, heroes, and there is a lot more if Asian civs were added to the roster, but I think prioritizing Europe should for once actually be a thing, because this is centered on the Roman Empire/Republic, so I don’t think Asia is necessarily something that should be added, at least at this stage.

1 Like

Updates on Destruction animations. Colonnade is getting close. There are still some things I want to fix/add including the vegetation. Then just need to put it all together! :stuck_out_tongue:

I experimented with a different technique this time by focusing on individual assets Roof, Columns, then sub structures. Finally using Photoshop and other copy paste technique to blend shadows and textures. Wasn’t necessarily faster, but I think the final results pay off.

Center 3

Colonnade Destruction

4 Likes

It doesn’t look so great when you focus on just one of the collapsing parts, but then you look at all three at once, and it feels really smooth and well done.

1 Like

Yes the de synchronized animation makes it hard to visualize…when it all comes together with final touches, animations, and is synchronized I think it will look phenomenal. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is the town center all put together. Still fine tuning and making final adjustments. However, I think this is pretty close to the final version I will release in next update.

TC Destruction Beta Faster

3 Likes

Sapsan updated render/work in progress for new Roman House(s).
The bottom row/middle house is the latest version. Really love how this one has progressed.

My mod currently uses AOE Greek Houses Age 2 & 3 plus AOE Greek Trade WS to complete the house for Feudal Age (AKA Early Antiquity Age in Mod) for Romans and then transitions to Roman set Age 2 & 3 House plus trade workshop for Castle Age (Middle Antiquity).

I want to add two houses to each age matching AOE 2 and AOE 3 Style houses, so they are a complete set and don’t have to borrow between Greeks and Romans.

2 Likes

Getting closer and closer to style and texture of AOE house. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi sir, do you have these building set in the SMX format which I can use for AOE2DE? I would love to add them in.

2 Likes

They will be but they are not done yet, need to finish textures and accessories. Then we are going to create upgraded version and finally destruction animations. :slight_smile:

Oh, sorry I’m referring to the Asian building set that @pate623 posted above.

@PeakHornet46539 no I have not touched these as they are not a priority for my mod. However, @Amburio created a great tutorial that can be referenced to convert these to SMX.

[Tutorial] How to export an AOE1 DE unit or building into AOE2 DE - Age of Empires II: DE / II - Modding - Age of Empires Forum

Sorry, I don’t have any SLX files for those images.

@TheConqueror753 I finished the Roman Empire balancing updates. Will start on Roman Republic next. Have to admit this was super fun to implement :slight_smile: Thank you for putting so much thought into this.

I like having Elite Legionary upgrade and new techs and civ bonuses. Really makes the civ feel more fleshed out. Excited to start on the others. Should be a simple copy and past for all the technologies, affects, and unit attributes when new DLC comes out.

1 Like

Do you have the original SLPs? Before the AOE1DE patch that spoilt their format for conversion?

1 Like

No, I don’t have the old SLP files.