ROMAE AD BELLUM - (RAW:E) Rome at War Expansion Concept

@jarnootje thats an interesting concept. I think if I remember correctly 0AD has a territory concept that allows players to put buildings within a certain radius of Town Center/military buildings. Sorry it’s been a while since I played 0AD… I am not sure that game mechanic can be reproduced in AoE or not.

Besides aesthetic changes, we use game concepts that are already employed within base game, so our changes our limited to what you experience in the series. We may change the combination of Civ bonuses, size of affect, names of technologies, costs etc, but don’t really create any new affects or game mechanics.

The thing is, I’m not sure if we want to create new mechanics like that, it moves too far away from the Age games I think, and isn’t very intuitive for AoE players I reckon.

2 Likes

Updated Progress shot of new Briton Unique Unit in development.

7 Likes

@rjgt3838 @TheConqueror753

with latest patch “fix” on sheep garrison, it seems they broke garrison property with older data mods. can u two help me check for garrison, especially ones that is a custom building and allows garrison (class 3, class 52).

test infantry, villager, cavalry, monk if possible, thanks.

1 Like

Update 7.1.22

We missed our target update of 6.28 related to most recent sprint. Work and other priorities got in the way. :stuck_out_tongue:

Should have some time over the long weekend to hopefully get caught up and possibly get an update published next week. We have been working through bugs of recent civs introduced last time. We are also starting to test first sets of animations for new Britons UU. Here is a rough GIF of unit below:

Walking

More to come… thanks!!

6 Likes

@IronKaiser5 has done an amazing job showcasing our mod on his YouTube Channel. Really excellent overview of many of the changes we have introduced in our mod to date.

5 Likes

Greetings,

This mod is so interesting, it compelled me to create an account just to post here.
I am installing the mod right now.

Thank you so much for everything you have already done, there are many things I want to ask about. Not sure how I could help/participate but I am interested.

But I want to a raise a point about East-Asian Civs, and why at least China could be included. I am also happy to see the Indian Civs are going to be kept!

I have never seen any sort of game or media for that matter in the English Language depict the War of the Heavenly Horses where the Han Dynasty presumably attacked Alexandrea Eschate and inadvertently opened up the Silk Road.

I realize by reading that this game has an overwhelming Mediterranean focus, and I don’t disagree with that, but by including just one East Asian civ one would be opening the door to create a scenario or campaign about the Chinese-Greek contact that has never been covered before. Another possiblity would be a scenario about the Han Dynasty’s contact with the Kushans or Gan Ying’s search for Rome.

I don’t think the other Asian Civs would be needed, one could even call the civ ‘Seres’, ‘Sinae’ or ‘Serica’ to be in spirit with the mod. Old Age of Empires with Italy/India was okay with having one civ for art model so perhaps that would be ok here.

Also see that the Southeast Civs are still around, I doubt they will always be but I might have fun pitting Romans against the Cambodians for example while they are here.

Speaking of Cambodia, I could see an argument for the Khmer to be kept as ‘Funan’ or ’ Cattigara’. Funan was highly Indianized and could certainly be part of a South Asian scenario or campaign. In addition you likely know that a horde of Roman Coins were found at the Oc-Eco archeological site. If art was an issue than I think the Khmer civ can use the Indian art style

I hope I don’t come off as smart-alik, I simply wanted to put these points out here for consideration as the aforementioned civs had intense interaction with Rome that goes unnoticed.

As for the Xiongnu, I think keeping the Huns around would mostly do the trick.

In summary: I think that a Chinse and Khmer civ could be kept while not compromising what the mod is about, and to do so would open the door for content about Rome’s and Hellenic interactions with distant but still accessible Eastern Eurasia. All of the other original Asian Age civs can be removed.

By the way, I created a course in Asian History that highlights ancient connections with the west, so I admit I am a bit bias here.

Once again, thank you for bringing the project this far, I never thought such a conversion would be successful like this one. Thanks for taking the time to read this post as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, right now we do definitely have a focus on the Mediterranean, but we may explore some civs to the East later, although we would probably start with Indians, due to their potential as part of an Alexander the Great campaign.

I thought the Indian civs were being kept? I thought I read this somewhere.

Well, I design the civs, in addition to a ton of other stuff, and one of those other things is campaigns for the mod (slowly, but I’ll get there). One of the campaigns I’m considering making in the future is an Alexander the Great campaign. For this, we need the Indians, so we would probably end up altering some of the current Indian civs. But basically, yes, the Indians will be kept, albeit maybe not in their current form. However, before we even think about them, or other east Asia civs, we have about 15 civs left on our current list, and then maybe another 5 that would be really nice to get, and then maybe we could work on East Asian civs or Indian civs.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what are those 15 civs left?

Suggestion for the few Asian Civs allowed in that case:

Seres - China
Funan - Khmer
Dravdanians- Tamil Kingdoms- really important I think to battle with Maryua and explore Southeast Asia. Also, the Indo Greeks went far deeper than Alexander ever dreamed of.
Hindustan- All Northern Indians or Maryua
and maybe somehow a separate Khuan Civ,

It’s about 15, I probably got the number wrong. Anyway, here are all the civs we have currently planned out:

• Athenians: Nothing
  • Britons: Fully added with next update
  • Carthaginians: Fully added with next update
  • Cretans: Nothing
  • Dacians: Unique Unit under development, nothing else
  • Egyptians: Partially added, largely bugged, needs major fixing/reworking
  • Franks: Almost fully added, may need some work to adapt to the mod (small balance only)
  • Gauls: Fully added
  • Germani: Nothing
  • Goths: Almost fully added, may need some work to adapt to the mod (small balance only)
  • Huns: Almost fully added, may need some work to adapt to the mod (small balance only)
  • Iberians: Nothing
  • Judeans: Nothing
  • Macedonians: Wonder created, nothing else
  • Nubians: Nothing
  • Numidians: Nothing
  • Parthians: Fully added, may need bug testing and potential fixing
  • Persians: Fully added, may need bug testing and potential fixing
  • Phoenicians: Nothing
  • Roman Empire: Fully added, bug fix with next update
  • Roman Republic: Fully added, bug fix with next update
  • Spartans: Fully added with next update
  • Thracians: Nothing

Other civs that could be added in future potentially:

• Armenians
  • Palmyrans
  • Seleucids
  • Scythians
  • Thebans
  • Illyrians
  • Corinthians
  • Rhodians

That gets us up to 31 civs, we can then add 4 more until we start replacing DLC civs, which we are reluctant to do at this stage, because then people have to pay to use them.

2 Likes

We also need recognizable names for our playerbase, so that has to be kept in mind, even if it means sacrificing some historical accuracy.

Well the names I suggested were in a Greco-Roman context for a Greco Roman mod.
Does this mod effect DLC mods for that matter, can DLC civs be played?

If the names need to be player friendly, then perhaps Sina, Funan and Maryua (or Indus) would all be good choices.

Well, right now, any civ can be played, whether or not it will play as one of the R@W civs or just a base game civ comes down to whether or not it’s been replaced. The way the mod works is each civ we add overwrites a civ from the basegame, and we can do that to DLC civs, but we don’t want to, because they are only available to people who have bought the DLC. Have you installed the mod and tried it yet?

I am trying to install it as I write here, it seems like it showed up in the local-mods but was not working properly. Then I realized ones the enhanced graphics for this mod- which I am installing right now.

Yeah, you need enhanced graphics. The version you have is about to become an old version of the mod though, there should be an update within 3 days that will add Carthage, Sparta, and fix a number of other bugs, so make sure to download that once it releases.

1 Like

oh dear… I’ll have to download this all over again.

Oh well I do want to try it out… I don’t really want to wait.

You may not have to download the whole lot again, if @rjgt3838 just does a patch instead, then you download that and replace the appropriate files, but I think the update is probably big enough it’ll be a full version.