Siege engine crew, workhorses

what potential issues? everything addressed has been over played and works in many other games…

also lets not forget they have a crew, but a poor excuse for one. So I really do not even understand how you can really make that big of a leap of a difference between golden units and units that match the game

Solution is make is an option, an overwhelming response is that they look too awkward without crew.

2 Likes

I just said ignoring any potential issues. We’ve already established that you think there are only pros and you’re incapable of accepting that there are any cons.

My point was this: That even if we accept your premise that there are not any issues, then what is the argument for having a crew? Because you like the way it looks. Some people like the way it looks without one. Your argument is no more compelling than theirs.

I really have not heard a legitimate con.

That is why I asked what potential issues? I could accept them if someone actually presented one. Do not project on me what I am capable of, that is speaking way more about the speaker than who it is being spoken about as have not made any merits to making the ghost figures look real.

Also, how do these potential issues you are so concerned with, why do they not pertain to the ghost figures? Its basically the same thing except the flash looks unnecessary, attention drawing and it seems you ignore this. Why do you keep saying things like “without one” it has a ghost crew! why?

3 Likes

You’re either not comprehending what I am saying or just intentionally talking past it.

I am asking questions and you have no answer, so it is an easy yes to accept any consequences of changing the ghost figures into actual crew. I think those consequences will be a better looking game.

Please talk about the subject and not project anything on to me. If you are failing to communicate a point you think I can not perceive then you need to elaborate or find a better way of communicating it.

2 Likes

Those are only visible when relevant, i.e. when the siege engine is being packed or unpacked, which is probably why they went with that implementation. So while there is some overlap for sure, they are not exactly the same.

I have seen multiple people stating that in this forum. This is simply not true. When AoE III was originally released the community was split on a lot of changes from AoE II - siege engines having crew being one of them. Of course, there was a lot of praise as well, but if you really believe every AoE II player wanted to see siege crew added to the series, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

1 Like

“Multiple people”, give an example then.

I was referring to his statement. As in “I’ve seen multiple people make this statement, but you are still incorrect”.

I thought they also were there for reloading purposes? so its not much of a step further… and it belongs…

Even some aoe2 units have crew…

Yes it was and is very popular… and many people complain today they are going backwards by not including it…

It had no detracting value in AOE3… for some reason there will just always be a AO2 contingent that dislikes AOE3, that is fine, but its really for other reasons other than because they added crew…

1 Like

Fundamentally, it was due to stuff like removal of dropsites, the card system and the randomness of mercs.

1 Like

Like I said earlier, I have no strong opinion either way. I will add though, that I played AoE III around release. Within my group of friends, who also played AoE I and II, several people absolutely hated siege crews.

All I am saying is: this is a diverse community. Different parts of the community prefer different aspects of the series. Just look at AoE II vs. AoE III vs. AoM. Assuming your own preferences apply to everyone is questionable.

Not sure - do you have a clip of that?

Yes, but only (small) weapons which can be operated by 1 person. I guess that would be fine as well, although I’d argue that would probably feel a bit inconsistent.

To you, obviously. Doesn’t necessarily mean everyone has to feel that way.

1 Like

I do not assume anything I have said best thing to do is make it an option, because you are right that we are a diverse group, and for some the lack of crew, and use of golden ghost is a discredit to.

So when I and others come here it is actually I who feel like I am being silenced by people who say otherwise and just to accept it and that’s not what they want, so you could be better to be more inclusive of how these never led to actual problems for the majority of community, I have never in 13 years heard a complaint about it. Can you link any old threads discussing this?

So more projections on my saying I assuming my preferences apply to everyone, I speak to my experience which has been no problems about it and no one can come up with a legitimate one, (like besides just saying everyone hated siege crews, please explain why? ) Because it really seems like you are the one who is fine with things as they are as long as they fit your preferences.

The war field need to be clutter whit units, it is a basic

It is the people who make it alive! They have will, they have fealings. They are animated.

If you hit you best friend, it will mostly end you friendship and start a war( figth) betwenn the two.

Same goes on the batle field, if your units are too much close on each other and push between them, they migth start pushing each other to make place and end up killing each other, even if they are allies.

Objects dont move, they are death. They have no will and belong to the one using it.

A wall belong to no one, untill you set a person on it, to see far away.

Also, rock are inanimated. A trowed rock hurt any one and dont move by it self.

I trowed a rock on my best friend, at the place of my enemy. I hurt my friend and my friend became my enemy. My old best friend, now my enemy, became neutral to my enemy. I lost good time vs 2 oponent, insted of being a easy victory.

Machine dont move, they are death. unless a outside force activate it. They have no will and belong to the one using it.

A active trebuchet, whit people using it, can fire at long range, depending on elevation ( a trebuchet on hill or wall will fire more far off then a trebuchet on plane land).

But a active trebuchet, whit no one activating it, will just be a desolated useless building, taking presious place. ( whit a villager, maybe recycle the thing for wood? Or even learn the villager to use it?)

If the siege units don’t have crews, I hope there will be mods which add them.
Even if they are static, it adds a minimum of presence around the war machine.

But it’s a shame the base game doesn’t have that. War machines look very cheap currently…

6 Likes

They seem to think you could be loosing sight of the trebuchet in that unlit grass or already blurry ground texture… so they gave you a blurrier ground texture. You are welcome.

it seems all unpacking units make the ground blurry brown looking… I do not like it…

They should have found better ways of readability with more contrast, better lighting, etc…

but its not the worst of things so I can get over it…

2 Likes

So, you put a horsey yes, a horsey that carries the larger sieges weapons, then, when unpacking, hear me out, when unpacking the yellow ghost appears and do his magic abstraction thing, awesome, but then, this is the good part, an actual person appear next to the siege!, unvelievable, instant game of the year

The AgeII manned-less cultist play chess with wood squares with their names on, because carving to give them shape would lead to “readability issues”

2 Likes

I don’t care that much about the animations, but to have more realistic siege, these units should have long enough setup times like trebuchets in AOE2 or tanks in SC2. The onagre micro in AOE2 can be something fun in that game but makes no historical sense. Id like a game that approaches as much as possible the way that middle age tactics worked. One advantage of long setup times is that it gives more importance to unit positioning and tactics than to pure micro speed. Terran vs terran in SC2 is considered one of the most tactical matchups and one of the reasons are siege tanks or units like the liberators. These type of units mean that if you move your army wrong, even if it is stronger, it can be oblitarated. I prefer the emphasis on tactics more than in fast fancy onagre micro… That’s what I would expecto from a strategy game.

1 Like

To had to your point of view, that explane also what i think, in a way.

I am expecting the trebuchet attack to do more damage over time, when attacking the same building.

Like they said in the trebuchet video, the attack need to hit the same place every time, to break a wall.

That is wy trebuchet bullet need to be made the same shape every time.

It could have a interess in seing a reseach, about trebuchet bullet shape.

It will make the trebuchet low in attack for the enemy capturing your trebuchet, and allow you to do exponentiel damage over time whit reseach.

1 Like